shooting rest

now i saw that tony uses no shoulder touch on stocks and just his finger on the triger after he lines up for the shots on target.my ? is how do others set up for their shooting ?do you touch the stock or not and what kind of rests do you shoot off of.is the stock coated on the bottom to aid in the recoil or is the rest useing something to aid the recoil movement.
gary b

now i saw that tony uses no shoulder touch on stocks and just his finger on the triger after he lines up for the shots on target.my ? is how do others set up for their shooting ?do you touch the stock or not and what kind of rests do you shoot off of.is the stock coated on the bottom to aid in the recoil or is the rest useing something to aid the recoil movement.
gary b

Let me tell you about Tony. He was a bag squeezer, and still is, but he got arthritis in his left hand and has been a joy stick operator since then. Yes he is a free floater shooter.

I say everyone has good enough equipment to win. It is the shooter that wins. There will be same same equipment list at the top of the leader board as the bottom.
Shooter tunes the rifle.
Shooter knows if his rig is capable to win.
Shooter pulls the trigger.
Shooter 90%. Luck 10%

I'm going to disagree with sdean. Those rifles at the bottom of the list simply will not shoot any better regardless of skill or luck.

95% rifle
5% skill

I'm going to disagree with sdean. Those rifles at the bottom of the list simply will not shoot any better regardless of skill or luck.

95% rifle
5% skill

I hear what you're saying Wilbur. At one time,I had one of those special Rifles. It made me think I knew how to shoot benchrest.:D. A good test for those "bottom of the list rifles" would be, to have a bottom of the list shooter swap rifles with Tony Boyer.

Glenn

A good test for those "bottom of the list rifles" would be, to have a bottom of the list shooter swap rifles with Tony Boyer.

I'm a bottom-of-the-list shooter; if TB swapped rifles with me he'd probably still beat me.

But the first thing he would do would be to figure out why the gun is shooting a .300 agg and fix it.

Joe

I do not believe for one minute if Tony Boyer handed me his rifle in pieces, a box of brass and a hand full on bullets that I would finish anywhere near the top. He made a ton of decisions to get that rifle where it is.

Now if he handed it to me after his shot his group with a hand full of his ammo i might shoot a pretty good group.

Benchrest is (possibly), the only shooting discipline where the shooter at the bench can do no better than the Rifle in the bags.

If you do this long enough, you know when the Rifle is working. You get a good feel for the conditions you are shooting in to and know when bullets aren't going where the conditions dictate.

This is especially true in Score shooting, where you have no free shots.

What people fail to realize about shooters such as Mr Boyer is he is not going to the line with a .250 Rifle. He strives to go to the line with a .150 Rifle.

Great Rifles make good shooters. Great Rifles in the hands of great shooters makes winners.

For me, benchrest is a game of perfection. Load, rifle and shooter. I know for me, the matches that I made the least amount of mistakes at the bench, where always my best finishes. Things like rushing the shot, slapping the trigger. The very basic mistakes will drop you out of the race. Benchrest isnt an easy game. I think this is part of why more folks dont attend. The cost being another.
This PRS game is becoming extremely popular. I think because it takes a heck of a lot less skill and attention to detail to hit a steel plate at 1000 yards, than it does to to shoot a teen agg at a national Benchrest match.

For me, benchrest is a game of perfection. Load, rifle and shooter. I know for me, the matches that I made the least amount of mistakes at the bench, where always my best finishes. Things like rushing the shot, slapping the trigger. The very basic mistakes will drop you out of the race. Benchrest isnt an easy game. I think this is part of why more folks dont attend. The cost being another.
This PRS game is becoming extremely popular. I think because it takes a heck of a lot less skill and attention to detail to hit a steel plate at 1000 yards, than it does to to shoot a teen agg at a national Benchrest match.

Yes, the PRS game is growing. And probably for the reasons you mentioned.

Get a Ruger Precision Rifle, stop at Academy and pick up some ammo, and shoot.

At the range this past Sunday, I took all three of my Competition Rifles. The entire bed, and the back seat compartment are full. Just to shoot.

I can amagine a fellow shooter wanting to perhaps give Benchrest a try saying.....Geeze, you gotta be kidding"

I don't know any other way to do it.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21169&stc=1&d=1530576075

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21170&stc=1&d=1530576182

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 640
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 421
Last edited:
With some skill

95% rifle
5% skill

and experience you become a believer in what Wilbur says, especially when you are lucky enough to luck into a hummer barrel.

I am fortunate to have access to a 100 yard indoor range. The owner is a friend who provides me with access on the two days a week that it is closed and I can set up and shoot by myself, fortunately there are two concrete benches along with the more temporary ones. I get to leave the exhaust fans off and the doors closed, since I am by myself and this equates to a wind free environment.

(My home club has all wooden benches and that for sure is a disadvantage.)

I have a number of rifles including ones that have just had the actions bedded and the barrels free floated through 3 full blown custom centerfire bench rest guns. (Borden, Hammond and Anglin as well as a Gorden Eck RF rig). And a Dakota Arms built Remington Custom Shop 6mmBR Norma.

If I were to compete, I would be one of those guys at the bottom of the list. I fully agree with Wilbur. My custom rifles shoot better than semi custom or modified factory ones, we the same person (me) behind the trigger. But, If I gave any of my rifles to Tony, or Bob White who I see regularly, I would guarantee that the groups or scores would be better than I can do.

I have upgraded rests and bags, which has also shown an improvement. But in my opinion based on very little experience is that if you don't know how to hold your rifle, pull the trigger and read the wind, you won't be up there are the top of the list regardless of what custom rig you use and a poorly set up rifle, can throw a flyer that had nothing to do with the shooter.

Now throw in your ammunition and we have another variable to content with.

I shoot more 1,000 yard than 100 and go through a whole different loading process and the ammo that results make a huge difference.

Bob, A Newbie learning each day.

Last edited:
Back