Sharing a Rifle?

Az_Speed

I think I read this correctly that the #1 & #2 finishers in the ARA Indoor Nats 2009 used the same rifle. As I recall, it seems, Tony Boyer and Harry Deneen also shot an earlier match sharing a rifle. If that is the case, is this a common occurance? What's behind it? You don't dance with the one that brung ya?

I don't know about common but sharing equipment is part of the game. Try to haul all the stuff you need on a commercial jet and get it through TSA and pay the overweight charges. Unless you drip money I suspect you will not shoot very often. bob finger

Just my cynical view, but I think there should be a points penalty if you don't own the rifle you shoot. One complete miss per target ought to be about right.
Don

Az Speed

I think I read this correctly that the #1 & #2 finishers in the ARA Indoor Nats 2009 used the same rifle. As I recall, it seems, Tony Boyer and Harry Deneen also shot an earlier match sharing a rifle. If that is the case, is this a common occurance? What's behind it? You don't dance with the one that brung ya?

Sharing equiptment has been the norm since the early days of BR 50.

It's a common deal !

It's been done for ages, what seems to be wrong with it? I've seen it done with husband wife combo(cost of multiple guns), I've seen it with friends. Somebody's gun breaks, so instead of being left out in the cold, share. The list goes on, me I don't see a problem with it.)chill( Look back at past events and you will find that it has been done at big National events and major shoots, nothing wrong with it at all.:p

I have some problem with sharing but not if it is within the family. Why would I want to compete against two of the best shooters using the best rifle in a match ? I might just wait until the odds are better.
Fred K

Rent a Rifle

Maybe next time JEFF, owner of the barn, will have a rent a rifle program going.

It will go down in history as one of the finest demonstrations of sportsmanship when Dan didn't stoop so low as to beat a guy with his own rifle!

One question remains, why didn't they loan the rifle to Dans wife?

Al Kunard

Shared equipment

Howdy!
Shared equipment goes back a long way. Somewhere I read about Art Jackson having a problem with a rifle and winning a match with a borrowed Winchester 52b in the 1940's. He could not have done anything to the rifle to tune it, he just shot the lights out and won.

Another guy, Garrett Moore, won the Smallbore National Championship at Camp Perry in 1946. With a borrowed Remington 37 built by Eric Johnson, if memory serves. May have to check that out again, definitely a 37, strong probability about Johnson.

It would sorta seem like a hollow victory to beat someone who had an equipment problem and could not finish. Even if they were better than you. Especially if they were better than you.

If I win something, I want to win it with all of the competition giving their best. I can handle losing if I give my best and flat out get beat. I can't deal with it as well if I lose at something because I did not give my best, and essentially beat myself.

That being said, I hate to lose at anything. Everyone does. But we can learn more from losing sometimes than we can learn from winning, if we are brutally honest in our analysis.

Greg

Sharing

Go back and look at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. 1 & 3 not only shared but had to do it on the same relay cutting their time in half.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharing

My twin granddaughters have to share a rifle when they shoot ARA matches to help with the cost of shooting.
Larry Burchfield

It's been that way a long time, so it must be the right thing to do. After all there's no advantage in it unless drawing for benches first is an advantage, testing ammo for one gun is an advantage, or one set-up is an advantage. Just part of a one sided game.

)chill(I'm new to the game but if two of the worst shooters shared a rifle or anthing else and won the match would this have ever been brought up

No big deal

I don't see it as a big deal. As mentioned if one is flying across country it's hard to haul all your stuff. Ironically I was actually thinking about this last night and considering making some of the bigger events in 2010 and flying to them is the only real option I would consider, thus I'd need to work out a deal to either borrow or share equipment.

Les

Kiss

When my wife and I travel to ranges that will host at least two relays, we will share equipment. Saves time and I have less to worry about during the match.

)chill(I'm new to the game but if two of the worst shooters shared a rifle or anthing else and won the match would this have ever been brought up

I would imagine it would be a bigger issue. But it's not just this match. People have complained about it for years. I don't like it, but nobody cares if I or anybody else cares or not, so it will continue. Just live with it. It should not be used to degrade Leeds and Killough's victory.

It wasn't brought up to complain nor to make a big deal out of it. I just wondered if it was a common practice and why someone would do it. If your rifle breaks it makes sense but I didn't get the impression this was such a case.

It would seem that Dan K. would have access to about any kind of rifle he would want so because he is shooting another fellow's does that mean it is a superior rifle to anything he had? It must have been better than his wife's or he would have shared with her, maybe. :confused:

Does this give some validation to the earlier thread that there is a big difference in rifles?

It does seem strange to me that you would go to the Nationals and shoot someone else's rifle. A local shoot yes, but the Nationals? Did he take one, it malfunctioned and this other fellow was nice enough to let him use his?

I'm new and just asking questions as it seems odd that someone would go to the Nationals and borrow equipment to shoot. Apparently this isn't like golf although I understand Tiger may be looking to borrow a wedge. :)

this aint golf..)chill( but the good stuff ammo gits shot up twice as fast:)

It wasn't brought up to complain nor to make a big deal out of it. I just wondered if it was a common practice and why someone would do it. If your rifle breaks it makes sense but I didn't get the impression this was such a case.

It would seem that Dan K. would have access to about any kind of rifle he would want so because he is shooting another fellow's does that mean it is a superior rifle to anything he had? It must have been better than his wife's or he would have shared with her, maybe. :confused:

Does this give some validation to the earlier thread that there is a big difference in rifles?

It does seem strange to me that you would go to the Nationals and shoot someone else's rifle. A local shoot yes, but the Nationals? Did he take one, it malfunctioned and this other fellow was nice enough to let him use his?

I'm new and just asking questions as it seems odd that someone would go to the Nationals and borrow equipment to shoot. Apparently this isn't like golf although I understand Tiger may be looking to borrow a wedge. :)

I'm sure Dan had a rifle. Probably had several. So why use Fred Leeds' rifle? The answer is obvious. They're in love. No, really they must have found a lot of ammo that was just perfect for the rifle and conditions. Chances are Fred provided the rifle and Dan provided the ammo. Marriage made in heaven. The only thing it shows is they had great equipment and that doesn't take away from the shooter. They still had to drive it. One of them could have won either way and who cares about number two (sorry Dan).

And why not Dan's wife? Well, they used Fred's rest, so another set up (she shoots lefty), and chances are the ammo was limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back