Shading bench from the sun

P1ZombieKiller

http://www.P1ZK.com
I am going to be shooting at a range this coming year that does not have a long enough over hang to block the sun off the benches, .
Some of the locals had a contraption that clamped to the bench, and held a corrugated plastic sheet (about 18x24) that would move in different directions to block out the sun.

If you use one, or build one, or sell one... can you post pics of how your works (and any tips on what to do and what not to do)?

I don't think I want the umbrella, unless you think it can double to help in the rain.

Umbrellas are the easiest

During beach weather, often the chain drugstores will have smallish umbrellas with a c clamp built on them. I have carried a length of 2x2 or the like and a couple of adjustable ( wood working) clamps to fasten it to the bench in case the built in clamp is too small to clamp to the bench top. I also have another rig which allows an umbrella handle to slide into a length of pvc pipe, which pivots in an arc.

I've seen a lot of rigs and none of them are perfect but the smallish umbrellas do work and are smallish.

Pete

At WWCCA we use a version of what Pete indicated.
Get the umbrellas from Wal-mart or Big Lots. Inspect real good. The clamp and top thingie are what breaks first. $5....

Wes, many of the ranges I go to has the same problem. On windy days the umbrella style is very distracting to me, lots of vibration and movement. What I’ve been using and like a lot is two 36” bar clamps, one on each side of the bench and a black towel spring clamped to the bar clamps. You can adjust it to suite the angle of the sun and take it down anytime and not violate the rules of going in front of the bench after match starts.

Wes, here is my set up.

Attachments

• 2D6A3F66-071C-4947-A97C-0F64F6D7B63D.jpeg
    2D6A3F66-071C-4947-A97C-0F64F6D7B63D.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 433A8115-E0D3-4B0C-9022-FDFC3E06A59E.jpeg
    433A8115-E0D3-4B0C-9022-FDFC3E06A59E.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 1B785FD4-E5E2-4BD0-AA9F-F147B4D4C683.jpeg
    1B785FD4-E5E2-4BD0-AA9F-F147B4D4C683.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 258
If that's the way you hang it how do you get by from harming your hounds ??????? LOL!!!! See ya 3-16-19.

Last edited:
I usually don’t have my entire fan club with me, so they stay safe. Looking forward to seeing you Mr. Mike

I have been using a bench mounted umbrella by Charles Waters for a few years now
and it does just fine. Very adjustable, very well made and reasonably priced.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Last edited:
I bought a really nice compact clamp on umbrella from Charles who I met on Accurate Shooter.

803-331-6321

Bob

Umbrellas become somewhat useless in a hard wind. If you're gonna shoot registered matches you'll need a method to hold a small piece of cardboard just large enough to shade what you need shaded. Work on it now because someday you'll need it.

So true

Umbrellas become somewhat useless in a hard wind. If you're gonna shoot registered matches you'll need a method to hold a small piece of cardboard just large enough to shade what you need shaded. Work on it now because someday you'll need it.

Especially true for the morning match at Mickey's remember?

Don Geraci made an adjustable sun shade with about an 18”x18” piece of Formica. It don’t remember exactly how it was made, but had a 1” dowel rod or two that slid up and down and let you turn the Formica how you wanted to rotate it. I bought one of them from him. Think I used it at the Crawfish at Lafayette and don’t remember ever seeing it again. Another thing I donated to a range somewhere finally learned to put my name on everything including scope covers. That helped.

Back