Seating into the lands and amount of bullet in case question?

matchman

I purchased a reamer with .035 freeboar (6ppc) with the understanding that it is a good choice for Barts 68gr BT in particular and it being a overall flexible dimension for other bullet makers.
The Question is with the bullet touching the lands I have about .180 into the neck to hold it. Is this ok typical ? It dos not seam to bad with flat base bullets but with a Bart BT its really only held by .100 in the neck (due to the Boat tail taper) Is what im seeing correct and ok or is something wrong ?
Thanks for any help.
Adam

Some options:

I purchased a reamer with .035 freeboar (6ppc) with the understanding that it is a good choice for Barts 68gr BT in particular and it being a overall flexible dimension for other bullet makers.
The Question is with the bullet touching the lands I have about .180 into the neck to hold it. Is this ok typical ? It dos not seam to bad with flat base bullets but with a Bart BT its really only held by .100 in the neck (due to the Boat tail taper) Is what im seeing correct and ok or is something wrong ?
Thanks for any help.
Adam

You can have the reamer re-ground to take the freebore out or lestened , you can find your tune by jumping your bullets, that is, moving the bullet back into the case until it shoots; suppose to work the same as going into the lands plus you won't ever stick the bullet of a loaded round in the lands.

Thanks for any help.
Adam

IMO it doesn't really matter as long as you can hold a bullet.

.100 is plenty.

Longer freebore gives you larger usable case capacity.

al

Thanks for any help.
Adam
If you want to know the best freebore for the Barts 68BT, ask Bart. He will know for sure. 0.035 is a little short for bullets that have a 7-8 ogive nose. Most for the 7-8 nose use about 0.060-0.080".

Some of the newer double ogive bullets seem to want a freebore close to zero. You do not want a lot of bullet down in the neck as you would in a hunting loading.

There is a chart somewhere on this computer that I scavenged somewhere. If I can find it I will post it. That will really confuse you.

Barts

I have switched back to a .035 with the Barts on the .790 jackets, and they look just right in the neck..........jackie

Back