Scope rings...high vs offset

matchman

I'm taking a plunge into the most expensive scope I ever purchased. Leupold 45x.
As by my previous post I'm concerned about rings.
Currently my face is touching the stock using a weaver T36 with rings that are .6 tall (base to bottom of ring or if measured to centerline of scope 1.1) in need to correct this.
I see offset rings and higher rings. The offset rings are intesting but may be a bit of hassle at 200yd when I shoot for score.
I'm planing on using Harrels rings. That leaves high and extra high.
Any advice would be appreciated.

It's really a matter of personal preference. I'm using medium Harrell's and have no problem staying off the gun in free recoil. High rings would make it even easier. I have no experience with offsets so maybe others will chime in.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I'm taking a plunge into the most expensive scope I ever purchased. Leupold 45x.
Currently my face is touching the stock using a weaver T36 with rings that are .6 tall (base to bottom of ring or if measured to centerline of scope 1.1) in need to correct this.
I see offset rings and higher rings. The offset rings are intesting but may be a bit of hassle at 200yd when I shoot for score.

I don't know about score but I would think that offset rings would unnecessarlily complicate group shooting.

As I understand it

the offset rings were developed for shooters with bad eyesight (near blindness) in the dominant eye who did not want to change shooting position. they could use their left eye and still shoot RH as an example.

The tall rings give you a much more heads up position when shooting. All of my BR rifles have Kelbly Tall rings on them. I find it far more comfortable shooting. For those who are concerned about the gun tipping in the bags, get a B-Sguare scope rail level (used for position airgun) and be happy.

David

I'm not sure why you think offset rings would complicate short range BR shooting. I have been using Harrell's
offset rings on my Panda with a 45x Leupold scope for several years and really like them as I think it keeps me
from hugging the stock. The offset is not is enough, in my opinion, to cause any problems.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

In theory, the higher the ring, the more diligent you have to be that your Rifle stays in the exact same horizontal position from shot to shot.

This is really not an issue with most Benchrest Rifles if the shooter has a decent bag set-up.

Holding up one each of the Harrell's rings so that their bases are aligned, the 30mm offset rings are offset by approximately .400". I believe that this would be too little to be of much use for using ones left eye when shooting right handed (or vice versa). but it would facilitate keeping one's face off of the stock. I know one fellow who speaks highly of them for that purpose, and he has not complained of any problems using them at one and two hundred yards for his PPCs. Funny story, I was being a little fussy about some Harrell's rings and polished their faces prior to mounting and lapping. Later, I realized that the ones that I had polished were still in the drawer, and that I had failed to notice that the ones that I had installed were as manufactured. These rings are very well made, an excellent value, and do not compromise function in any way.

I have bad arthritis in my neck. The Harrells off-set rings are high and change my neck position enough to relieve some of the pain. rogina

I've been using the Harrell's offset rings for a few years now. I have no complaints and prefer them to standard rings for the same reasons that others have mentioned. I've not measured one but it seems that I recall them being advertised as having .5 offset. As Boyd said, they're well made and also polish nicely with just a light buffing.

Back