Scope Reticle locking devices

shinny

Shinny
Am considering having a Leupold Comp scope modified.

Before committing, am looking for any input on the various options available.:confused:

PROS/CONS appreciated.

Before committing, am looking for any input on the various options available.:confused:

PROS/CONS appreciated.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Anything in the series past the M-N serial numbers has been updated and proven not to have issues.

Not so sure about that.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Anything in the series past the M-N serial numbers has been updated and proven not to have issues.

I have (2) T scopes (SN: 171794T & 296644T) that were mounted on 30BR's, shooting a pretty hot load.

Both have been back to Leupold as they wouldn't hold zero.

How do I know this?

• Because when I replaced the suspect scope with a know good one all returned to normal.

• Additionally, the last time I had trouble and was doubting myself, had a (good) shooter, (I'm not) try my rig. I didn't tell him what I was experiencing, just asked him shoot the rifle and let me know his thoughts. He too came to the same conclusion............................

• When I returned the scopes for repair, did not indicate the problem specifically, just said something was wrong and requested they be checked over.

• After receiving the scopes back from Leupold, called and spoke with the Tech who had worked on them. He confirmed my suspicions.

I'm sure if these scopes were mounted on a rimfire it would be a totally different ball game.

scope issue

Shinny, Please give me a call , have a set up that let's you test two scopes against each other on the same gun. Chris

Wasn't clear enough with my orignal post....sorry.

Before committing, am looking for any input on the various options available.

PROS/CONS appreciated.

My original post may not have been clear enough. :confused:

I was referring to INTERNALLY adjustable scopes, with an external Locking modifications. (Not Brackney/Bucky systems)

As I have no idea to the internal workings of a scope, wonder why modifications such as Cecil Tuckers have one external set-screw and the Lou Murdica collar has two.

Any specific info you can offer about these type modifications will be appreciated.

wonder why modifications such as Cecil Tuckers have one external set-screw

The Tucker conversion does not have one set screw. Granted it resembles a screw, but it is actually a coil spring housing, it contains a nice healthy spring that holds the erector tube snugly against the adjusting turrets.

Shinny,
Are you refering to a mod like was done on the early Sightrons, that had a small nylon locking screw that when tightened locked the adjustments? Ed Adams was doing those for a while, and they worked pretty well. I think that Ron Hoen was also doing that mod.

Shinny,
Are you refering to a mod like was done on the early Sightrons, that had a small nylon locking screw that when tightened locked the adjustments? Ed Adams was doing those for a while, and they worked pretty well. I think that Ron Hoen was also doing that mod.

Jim Borden did them, Bill Krazinski did them, all kinds of people did them. I think it was a good mod as long as you did not forget to loosen the screws when adjusting as I did and crush the erector tube.
Dick

I find this interesting:

A friend became convinced to buy a March. he used it for the first time last Saturday in a match. After the match he told me he didn't like it as well as the Leupold he replaced it with; not as bright I guess, from what he said.

Pete

I have had zero problems with my LCS 45x on a 30.

But, Shinny believes that he has, therefore, he needs to solve the problem.

There are three methods:

1. Lock the scope up and use external adjustments.
2. Buy a different brand of scope. Preferably, one that the heavier recoil folks use.
3. Quit shooting.

Many of the folks shooting 30s in my area use the NF BR. They have a reputation of being rock solid. OTOH, they are heavy. If you're shooting a 13.5 lb rifle, though, it's doable.

Right now, with the NF Competition on the scene, you are seeing NF BR models up for sale at decent prices.

Back