Scope Frustation.

I will have to try that. Could I tape a mirror to the front of a mounted scope so that the surface of the mirror was in contact with the front bell? I would guess that the only light would be coming forward from the ocular end of the scoper, except for the edges of the mirror? Give me some details. This sounds interesting.

Now We Have Come Full Circle.

Once again there are those lamenting about scopes, and their inability to hold POA.

We had this problem solved four years ago with the advent of frozen scopes and external adjustable mounts.. The only thing that has changed since is the introduction of the March.

If you truly want 100 percent reliability on a scope, there are only two options..........jackie

Dual Plane

I heard that you had to use a Dual Plane Mirror for that method to work. I believe it has to do with the amount of light you allow thru the Objective. Wish someone would explain that in detail for me.

So.......

Once again there are those lamenting about scopes, and their inability to hold POA.

We had this problem solved four years ago with the advent of frozen scopes and external adjustable mounts.. The only thing that has changed since is the introduction of the March.

If you truly want 100 percent reliability on a scope, there are only two options..........jackie

.....are you back to Frozen scopes after selling off some of the March scopes? ( I did notice you had some for sale in the classifieds)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another scope related question...
How many of you assume that because you have high quality rings on a high quality one piece base that you don't need to lap, and/or bed the rings? In the last couple of years I have mounted some very high dollar scopes for the man that owns the company that I work for. Taking no chances, I lapped and deburred the rings. I never found any that did not need lapping. I bet that there are a lot of shooters that assume that there scope is not being bent or distorted that would be surprised at what they would see if they cycled a ring lap a few times in their mounted rings, i know I was.

I ream and lap all of my rings now. In my earlier post, I mentioned putting the scope in different sets of mounts. One set was the Burris rings with inserts that supposedly allow for misalignment. In short, they don't.

After reaming and lapping the mounts, I could tell it was on the right track because I could finally adjust the scope to remove all of the parallax. In the un-prepped rings, you couldn't get them completely parallax free no matter how much you fiddled with it.

Poor scope mounts are just as bad as poor bedding of the action.

SBindy

I have had a lot of scopes apart, particularily Benchrest Models. I have figured out quirks of each design, and what can go wrong to affect the scopes performance, mainly it's ability to hold POA.

I am curious just how a set of mounts can affect ability to remove the parallax. .........jackie

I have had a lot of scopes apart, particularily Benchrest Models. I have figured out quirks of each design, and what can go wrong to affect the scopes performance, mainly it's ability to hold POA.

I am curious just how a set of mounts can affect ability to remove the parallax. .........jackie

All I can tell you, is that after having that scope perform terrible in 4 set of mounts and not being able to adjust all of the parallax out, when it was put in a set of reamed and lapped mounts, the parallax was easily adjusted and the scope finally worked like it was supposed to.

If a set of mounts can effect the ability of a scope to hold POA because of twist, or tweaking, I don't see it as much of a stretch that it could affect the ability to adjust parallax from one, especially after having done it.

Simple

A scopes ability to hold POA is a mechanical issue. The scopes ability to focus and remove parallax is an opticle issue.

You do realize that light is bent inside the scope all the time by the erector tube. If it were not, you could not change the Point of Aim.

I have no idea what was the problem with your rings, but you used an anecdotal situation to make arrive at a conclusion that is not factual based.

But, I do agree with your statement that having properly fitted rings and bases is paramount to accuracy. But the main culprit is when you tighten a scope into a set of rings that are not aligned with each other, it puts the assembly in deflection. It will try to shift ever so slightly under recoil and vibration as the Rifle is fired. This once again is a mechanical issue, not an opticle issue.......jackie

I heard that you had to use a Dual Plane Mirror for that method to work. I believe it has to do with the amount of light you allow thru the Objective. Wish someone would explain that in detail for me.
I tried it on one of my BR scopes and it is too dark to work. Works on the lower power scopes.

Scope Frustration:
I thought it might be helpful to tell a tale of the frustrations of dealing with scope unreliability. Unfortunately I know others have had similar frustrations. Hopefully, some have suggestions to help decrease the frustration.

If you can still find one, the Hood Scope checker works quite well....Jan

>>>YES<<<

The Hood Scope checker IS a must have IMOP..... I know Mike Ratigan highly recommends one...

Nice if someone would start produceing them again...

cale

no scope checkers

Since they do not seem to be readily available I'm going to skip the scope checkers.

I'm also skipping locked up scopes and March not because I'm at all opposed, but because the majority of us will not be using them.

The point of this whole thing all along is how to help them average guy get a scope set up correctly and efficiently on his rifle and know that it is performing reliably.

How about a quicker protocol for scope set up. I'm focusing of the scope not rings/bases and assuming you've done the right things with them:

New rifle scope set up.

Inspect for defects.
Adjust ocular for maximal reticle clarity.
Exercise turrets.
Center turrets for elevation and windage.
Level rest, level rifle in rest, mount scope in rings set to plumb line.
Box test.

Additions?

That sounds good to me Jim, but I also like to check eye relief (head placement) in shooting postion, as I have found that there is a big difference from the bench to prone.
I twisted the knobs as per the PS magizine article on every "new" scope, even any used one got the same treatment, not sure if it helped but they track.

Any word yet from Leupold? I've been wanting to put a 45X on the .223 F/TR for Peru's 300 Matches just for the 1/8 moa adjustments, wish the Premier 20-50X where 1/8 not 1/4.

See ya,

A problem with Remington actions and likely other factory models is that
even when trued , the scope mounts are not really in line with the centerline
of the action. If the windage needs set to far up or to the right, the scope
has to function with lower spring pressure. This is one aspect where
the Kelbly Panda and custom actions shine. I have found this quite often
and suspect it has to do with warpage in its early stages. The rear bridge
on a Rem is also a nightmare in this reguard.

Preliminary tests using a light weight tube of one inch diameter thats
straight and placed in the scope rings will show this. Also if your POI
is low left when a centered scope is installed( without adjustments)
your scope must be adjusted in a ditrection that lightens spring tension.
That your not out of clicks yet , does not mean you haven't created
a problem. I have found scope that were unreliable when adjusted to
an extreme to be very good when closer to center. Generally, the larger
scope tubes( 30mm have more adjustments and stronger springs

Bob:
yes, I had a Remington 700 that would not allow anything but a windage adjustable base because of misalignment between the the mount hole and the bore. That 's OK for a hunting rifle but not what I want on a target/competition rig.

Mike:
Yes, scope placement is crucial. I don't care to remember how many times I've split my brow because of scope bite.

I haven't heard from Leupold yet. They recorded receipt of the scope on 4/12/10 and predicted a 15 day service time.

I've been pretty ill with an autoimmune disease again this Spring. In the past it has only last a few weeks. It's much worse this time (seems to worsen every time) has been going on a couple months , and while better does not seem to be going away even with high doses of steroids. The neck has healed well from last Spring's 2 fusions. I can now shoot without pain but have very low energy. Also the major site of immune attack is the blood vessels in my knees and bowel. Makes moving around hard and lying on my stomach painful. Despite this I intend to do more Prone, F Class shooting ( more, heck I only got to shoot once last year because of the neck surgery). Anyway, long way of telling you I hope to see you soon in Peru and at EAFR. I assume you are going to shoot Memorial day Weekend?

JIM

Some smiths have offered the service of making custom bases on the action, so that they are aligned with each other and the CL of the action. Also, Darrell Holland has an interesting and unique mount that addresses the alignment issue. http://www.hollandguns.com/
Click on articles and then on the one titled Picatinny Rail Instruction Sheet. I think that you will find it interesting.

Last edited:
Back