Savage Rifles From Walmart

A

articrafter

I am new to rifles and I don't really know one from the other. I want a hunting rifle for deer and I saw one at Walmart. It was a Savage arms 30-06 with a synthetic stock. It was just over 300$. It looked nice, but it was so cheap that I was scared to buy it. Are these guns crap or what? The guy that worked there said something about an accutrigger, but I don't know what that is either.

There was also a Remington 700. What do you guys think about those. Why are some 30-06 bolt action over a thousand dollars and this savage is just over $300. Help please.

There is another forum

Factory & hybrid rifles in the list of forums where you might find folks more likely to know the answer to your question. P.

Back when I was a teenager, you could get a Volkswagon Beetle. It would get you from point A to point B in relative comfort, which is the main purpose of a car. An E-type Jag cost a lot more. However, the Jag was much better for picking up girls.

Staying with the car analogy, you've wandered into a racing forum, and are basically asking racers about the relative values of cars to use for going to the grocery store. Our opinions on something like that aren't "expert."

articrafter,

Savages are excellent performers. Not going to win style points or get any oohs and ahs. Don't be scared of the price, appreciate it. If your looking for something on the cheap, might check out the new Marlin bolt gun too. Heard some good on them too.

If hunting is your first interest and funds are limited, get the Savage. If you have the funds, get the Remington. Either one will kill you a deer. Gun sports are like any other sport. You can spend all the money you want to. :D
Don't forget you'll still need to get a middle priced scope to complete you rig for hunting. IMO, any kind of combo deal, whether Savage or Remington, the scope is a POS.

A while back, I was at a Wally World, and the manager was seriously confabbing with the sporting goods manager, and I overheard some stuff... Seems one of their counter monkeys had knocked the front sight off one of their Savages a few years back, and stuffed it in the back of their safe to hide it. Well, it eventually came out, and the damage was discovered... Now, the boomstick had been on the books for some time, they couldn't really send it back, etc., etc., and they were freaking out over what to do with it.

"I'll give you $200 for it, fill out the paperwork, and you won't have a problem anymore."

Done.

Maybe I shoulda tried for $100.

Chuck

sometimes don't you just feel like kicking yourself? I saw a 700 BDL, wood stock, .270 Rem. in a WW for $300.00. Felt like kicking myself for not buying that one..

Savage Rifles

I am new to rifles and I don't really know one from the other. I want a hunting rifle for deer and I saw one at Walmart. It was a Savage arms 30-06 with a synthetic stock. It was just over 300$. It looked nice, but it was so cheap that I was scared to buy it. Are these guns crap or what? The guy that worked there said something about an accutrigger, but I don't know what that is either.

There was also a Remington 700. What do you guys think about those. Why are some 30-06 bolt action over a thousand dollars and this savage is just over $300. Help please.

Buy the Savage! Take it to the closest rifle range and you'll discover why they are great. They do shoot fantastic! I consider myself the Savage King. Some call me a Savage Whore. Whatever, I don't care. I have a bunch of them and I will get more - I'm always on the look-out for a good priced Savage. Speaking of Wal-Mart, I bought 4 Savages in one day from the same store, they were on the books for too long so they made me a good deal. I probably have a half dozen (or more) of them that I've never even shot.

Another good thing about Savage is their customer service. If you have any questions or issues, just call them and they will take care of you.

Go to the Savage web site and you'll learn all about the Accu-trigger. It isn't a competition trigger, but, it is the best trigger you'll find on a rifle under a grand. It is very safe, it is almost impossible to have an accidental discharge with the Accu-Trigger.
http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

The factory synthetic stock is nothing to write home about, but it works. You can get some very nice Savage Model 110 stocks here...
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Buy the Savage.

If you want to impress your friends buy an expensive rifle but if you want to shoot deer buy the savage. If you clean an oil it each time you use it, you can give it to your grand kids. Savages are more accurate than a lot of expensive rifles and new Remingtons are not as good as the ones pre 1990. Happy hunting Murphy.:D

Depending on you're expectations, the Walmart rifle will do just fine.
You will probably want to bed the action and stiffen the forestock. The plastic stock is really whippy up front and will affect accuracy.
If you polish the sear surfaces the trigger will be more than acceptable for anything short of competition.

Hellllllloooooo............

Factory & hybrid rifles in the list of forums where you might find folks more likely to know the answer to your question. P.

We ARE in the Factory & Hybrid Section:rolleyes:

This spring I bought the Savage LRPV from Walmart. They had the cheapest price I could find...Took less than a week to get in. Much as I prefer to do business with a good gun shop you still can't beat Walmart for the price.

Don't be too hard on him, the post may have started in another section and got moved here. Just my opinion, I'm not much of a guru when it comes to these forums. :)

I don't think so, if it did his post would have showed up there. I think it is another case of some of the "elite benchers" that are wandering around in a fog and do not know where they are. Most of the true benchrest guys are nice but some are not. The good guys need to cull your nuts....

Don't be too hard on him, the post may have started in another section and got moved here. Just my opinion, I'm not much of a guru when it comes to these forums. :)

It was'nt meant to being hard, just whimsical. Why does everybody on the bc take things soooooooooo seriously? Lighten-up, have some fun....life's too short.:D

Buy the Savage! Take it to the closest rifle range and you'll discover why they are great. They do shoot fantastic! I consider myself the Savage King. Some call me a Savage Whore. Whatever, I don't care. I have a bunch of them and I will get more - I'm always on the look-out for a good priced Savage. Speaking of Wal-Mart, I bought 4 Savages in one day from the same store, they were on the books for too long so they made me a good deal. I probably have a half dozen (or more) of them that I've never even shot.

Another good thing about Savage is their customer service. If you have any questions or issues, just call them and they will take care of you.

Go to the Savage web site and you'll learn all about the Accu-trigger. It isn't a competition trigger, but, it is the best trigger you'll find on a rifle under a grand. It is very safe, it is almost impossible to have an accidental discharge with the Accu-Trigger.
http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

The factory synthetic stock is nothing to write home about, but it works. You can get some very nice Savage Model 110 stocks here...
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

If things haven't changed since 9-11 and I am not mistaken it is illegal to sell one person more than 3 firearms from a store in 24 hours.

"Aim small miss small",

gt40

PS: If I am wrong I am sure one of you guys will let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
gunshop

Before buying I would look at the local gunshop, pawnshop. If you have problems you can go back to most of them for help. Look for one that really deals in guns and has real knowledge about them. Sometimes they can get close to the price and the help is worth it.

If things haven't changed since 9-11 and I am not mistaken it is illegal to sell one person more than 3 firearms from a store in 24 hours.

"Aim small miss small",

gt40

PS: If I am wrong I am sure one of you guys will let me know.

It's not "Illegal" just Uncle ATF would want to know if you made a large purchase of long guns, I don't know the quanity, but hand guns are limited to I think 3 in 5 working days, or there's extra paper work involved.

I bought a SAvage 22 Mag a couple years ago. It shot good but the magazine wouldn't feed for crap. I gave up and took it back. Bought a Marlin and it works good and shoots good.

Before you lay out $1000 for a Remington, you'd better find out which model is preferred by hunters. Don't go for the good looks, go instead with what works good and you'll always be happy.

Back