Savage RBLP 6mm Ackley Varmint Rifle

F

fireball10x

I Just finished building a Savage I bought a target action RBLP and a Pacnor 30inch SS super match in 6mm ackley with a 1-10 twist 3 groove straight taper .270 neck and a SSS thumbhole benchrest stock.I polished the action and barrel and took the warning off the action and removed the trigger safety blade did some work on the trigger,then i timed the action.The stock I glass bedded and put 14 coats of clear on.I also put a bushnell elite 4200 8-32x40 scope on it,and shimed it to get all the elevation I coud get.And Boy does it SHOOT!
Don't be afraid to build a savage.Here's a couple pics of targets with 5 shot groups at 100 yards and the gun.
Picture1213600x450.jpg

Picture1212600x450.jpg

Picture1202600x450.jpg

Picture1198600x450.jpg

Picture1197600x450.jpg

Picture1135600x450.jpg

Picture1133600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle!!! How did you get the action to polish up like that?

Boy does it SHOOT!

YEA.....! Wow.... A dotter...!;)

Dipped in chrome....! Ha ... Lotta hard work there..!
Nice long arm! Great work there fireball.

savage

That is the best looking savage I have seen yet and those groups are excellent. I have a lrpv stock and action waiting on a lilja barrel that is going to be chambered in 22-250AI. I am curious as to how you made the trigger work without the safety shoe on it. Did I mention that is a nice looking rifle.

Thanks for the compliments.The trigger safety and spring comes out easy but if you get a slam fire with it removed the gun will go off,Timing the action helps with that and polishing and shimming the trigger to take the slop out. The action target trigger warning was sanded off first with 400 wet paper then was polished with a felt wheel with a gray compound followed by a loose wheel with white compound and all the small areas with felt bobs on a dremel.The barrell was done with 400 then 500 on a stitched wheel then I used gray compound followed by white on a loose muslin.

Building a Savage

Pacnor 30inch SS super match in 6mm ackley with a 1-10 twist 3 groove straight taper .270 neck.

Don't be afraid to build a savage.

Very impressive nice looking and accurate rifle. Did you use your reamer or did Pac Nor use one of theirs?
Chino69

I'm normally not a Savage guy but, I've gotta give a big thumbs up. Very nice rifle and a shooter too. Congrats.

How fast

I shoot a 6x284 26" Hart 10" twist BBL I can push 87gr V-maxs with no pressure signs using 60.5 grs of Magpro 3,640 on a hot day at the range.I can push a 70gr with 60 grs of RE#19 to 4,000.

I shoot a 6x284 26" Hart 10" twist BBL I can push 87gr V-maxs with no pressure signs using 60.5 grs of Magpro 3,640 on a hot day at the range.I can push a 70gr with 60 grs of RE#19 to 4,000.
I'm shooting the 87 vmax and 87 hpbt by hornady and with 52.5 grains of rel 19 i'm getting 3665 fps.I did try h4350 and remington brass and I pushed the 87 vmax to 3750 but the primer pockets wouldn't hold,I'm using winchester brass now seems to be much better.I use 51 grains of rl-19 with the hpbt for targets and it still is going 3550 and it is a mild load.I use the 87 vmax for woodchucks it really does a job on them,I shot 14 the other day,the longest shot was 725 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primer pockets didn't hold

I was able to get to the 3,700 Mark with H4350 in my 6x284 but I had pressure signs. So your getting 3,665 with less powder ,but 4" longer BBL. Today I'm going to work with Magpro some more.High velocity with no pressure signs.

I was able to get to the 3,700 Mark with H4350 in my 6x284 but I had pressure signs. So your getting 3,665 with less powder ,but 4" longer BBL. Today I'm going to work with Magpro some more.High velocity with no pressure signs.
The h4350 seemed to build more pressure in the case and the remington primer pockets became loose and the bolt lift was easy and the primers weren't flattened where the rl-19 seems to burn in the barrel seems like the h4350 is burning faster than the burn rate chart states.I'm trying some magnum primers now fireforming and they shoot great.I usually use cci br primers but I had some mags laying around so why not try them.I have to shoot it through the chronograph with the mags and see how they compare to the br primers.I never tried magpro yet.I also noticed the 87 vmax like it jamed .010 in the lands where the 87 hpbt like it touching,and all my bullets are moly coated.

I tried Mag primers

I've been experimenting with a few of the slow burners. H4831 Re#22,Magpro I used mag primers with the IMR 7828.7828 produced awesome accuracy but had high SD and low Velocity. Magpro I think I have room to to increase charge,and its the best. Others have said try H1000 ?

how did the h4831 work and rl-22?The rl-22 might work good in my long barrel

Maybe in your rifle

H4831 I might have room to up the charge. But best so far was 3,510. Re#22 3,550 but also shinny ejector mark. Really so far Mag Pro rules. I really want a 3,650 load for those 87gr V-Maxs. Re# 19 was great untill I fired same load in winter and I lost 200 fps,H4350 was super sensitive,but I still use it for 70 gr bullets. Maybe come winter time Mag pro might be worthless? Its strange a few years ago I settled on a light load of H4831 with 87gr V-max ( 3,400 fps)and shot a coyote at 341 laserd yards. He looked like he was struck by lightening! His front legs buckled and was dead before he hit the ground. So maybe were chasing after the wind. So I guess I like chasing after the wind . Dang it must be 3:00AM where your at are you going hunting today?

In my 6mm AI.....

1-14 twist, 26" long, I shot the 70g Nosler BT at 4150 with 51.5g of Win 760, and neck sized the cases after firing.

I shot 3 shot groups like you were shooting, very tiny groups.

Also, shot the 80g Sierra BT Blitz at 3800 with a max charge of R#19.

I think that the 1-14 allowed me to get more velocity. Fast twist barrels sure seem to suck the velocity out of a cartridge lowering the speed.

What is the big questions is whether you have a fast or slow barrel....

The first 22/250 AI that I had was a 1-15 twist, and I shot the 65g Bergers at 3700 into very tiny groups. The 1-15 isn't even supposed to stabailze a bullet that long, but the RPM's generated by the velocity made up for some loss of RPM's on the twist rate. Too bad that Berger does not make that bullet any more, it was one heck of a varmint bullet.

That is sure a great shooting rifle that you have! If you want to see some fantastic launches, try the 75g V Max, it is much more expolsive than the 87 V Max and blows away the 87 HP.

Good luck!

1-14 twist, 26" long, I shot the 70g Nosler BT at 4150 with 51.5g of Win 760, and neck sized the cases after firing.

I shot 3 shot groups like you were shooting, very tiny groups.

Also, shot the 80g Sierra BT Blitz at 3800 with a max charge of R#19.

I think that the 1-14 allowed me to get more velocity. Fast twist barrels sure seem to suck the velocity out of a cartridge lowering the speed.

What is the big questions is whether you have a fast or slow barrel....

The first 22/250 AI that I had was a 1-15 twist, and I shot the 65g Bergers at 3700 into very tiny groups. The 1-15 isn't even supposed to stabailze a bullet that long, but the RPM's generated by the velocity made up for some loss of RPM's on the twist rate. Too bad that Berger does not make that bullet any more, it was one heck of a varmint bullet.

That is sure a great shooting rifle that you have! If you want to see some fantastic launches, try the 75g V Max, it is much more expolsive than the 87 V Max and blows away the 87 HP.

Good luck!
Well I built the gun to shoot the 87 vmax out to 1000 yards for chucks, when the 75 is running out of gas the 87 still going strong.I've shot the 70 bal tips and 75 vmax out of a 6mm rem with a 1-12 twist and the 75s were nasty but after 600 they were slowing down pretty good and at 700 to 800 you had a hard time seeing dirt kick up from a miss the 87 still kick it up at that range,but less than 700 the 75s are great.

Fireball, that was pretty much my experience...

about 750 was as far as we ever shot p. dogs, and it was still doing a number on them. You could tell that you were on the outer limits.

Good luck in the field!

about 750 was as far as we ever shot p. dogs, and it was still doing a number on them. You could tell that you were on the outer limits.

Good luck in the field!
The woodchucks are alot bigger than a p dog like rochchucks and can really take a hit,I hit one with a 220 swift at 300 and it cut him in half and he crawled to the hole before i could put another one in him!he was probably 8 lbs and crawled 15ft on his front legs to his hole there was a 2ft blood trail to his hole.I shot some big ones that were around 14lbs,but the 243 cal bullets work better than the 22 cals on the bigger chucks and better for long range. Good luck Shoot em up

Back