Savage 12F - Reports?

I guess Savage figures a 6oz trigger is light enough. RB2 can go a schnick lighter with some mucking about but it is no 1.5oz Jewell.

I guess they are staying with 90% of the market....

The bolt lift issue is real obvious in the standard Savage/Stevens. The last 1/4turn is hard enough to twist a rifle out of its bed. Some simple work on the camming surface smooths this out alot but not perfect. SSS is apparently able to fix this but I have not had the chance to get the work done to see personally.

Twisting a rifle in the bags is not something I would want when I need to shoot real fast to catch some condition.
Jerry

SSS work

Twisting a rifle in the bags is not something I would want when I need to shoot real fast to catch some condition.

Yes, this is primarily what hurts the Savage design in competitive arena's...
Yes, the SSS work does really help the engagement of the camming surface though no BAT/Stiller/Stolle.......etc.
I have one single shot 12 action reworked by SSS waiting for a build for VFS shoots in 30BR.... I believe my shooting technique will still require keeping a hand on the but stock while opening the bolt to keep the gun stable in the bags BUT not as difficult as before the action was reworked... The wait is long at SSS but IMOP worth it... Especially if Fred times the bolt to the SSS trigger in the build! Highly Recommended!

cale

We got three of the 12F in the family...Other than the second gun being sent back due to severe marks on the bolt face and lugs, all three rifles shot around 1/2" or under MOA. Have printed several 10" and under groups at 1000 yards with 53grs H4831sc, MK 142's , and Rem 9.5 primers..The customer service was top notch when dealing with the second gun as well...For the money, hard out of the box gun to beat...

From what I've read and personally seen, the 308 F class rifle seems to always out perform the 6.5x284. I don't understand why but seems that people are getting better accuracy with the 308.

A lot of this could be contributed to load development as well, my son has on of the 308's and it's a tack driver. The fit and finish of the rifle is another story.

Rich

Dan,

That is amazing. In my opinion that shows a gross deficiency in quality control. If something like that can get through, I'd be worried whether they are safe! I get the impression that these F-Class models were rushed into production - I hope they learn from it and get their act together, because the concept is good. I might revisit the idea of getting a Savage in couple of years time.

Alan

Alan

I've been shooting short range bench rest for awhile now and I first started with a factory Sako in 6mm PPC. It would average groups in the high .100's and I have even shot a few one holers with that rifle which is incredible for a factory gun. My point is that as good as that gun was it still didn't compare to the true custom rifles I was up against. If you are having second thoughts about Savage's F-class rifle, listen to your gut and hold off. My opinion is to save your pennies and build a custom gun when you can justify it. You won't be disappointed and you will only have to do it once. It will last you a life time only having to replace the barrel as it wears out. If my Savage doesn't shoot as well as a factory Savage is known to, it will be sold and I will follow my own advice.

Dan

I bought a savage 308 w/ Choate stock about 3 years ago. Got home and scoped the bore and found a fair amount of pitting in the barrel. Brought
it back to the dealer and was sent back to Savage for rebarreling. Scoped
the new barrel and was found to be good. 100 yard grouping was not up to
par with a 40XB tactical but I haven't tweaked the handloads yet. Will be
doing a bit of testing soon and will post results. I've got a 6.5/284 on order. Will you folks know my experience. For the fellow who wants to put a better barrel on his Savage, Shilen Barrels have them already to be dropped in to Savage actions plus or minus head spacing. Checkout their
( http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html ) website.Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had problems with mine. It is back at Savage I drove it there myself and spoke to someone about it. My problem was No left Windage when I sighted it in at 100yds. No matter what scope or base I tried it would only give me 4-8MOA to play with going left.

Now even with this problem I was able to get sub Moa at 100yds. with 3 and 5 shot groups. I shot it in April at Williams Port at a 1K match and with out any load 142SMK's in first fired Lapua brass and H-1000 @ 51.1grs I was getting 10" to a little bit bigger. Now I only shot a 185 with 4X's first string. Then a 171 with 1x second in the afternoon. The wind switched and I had no left windage to play with so I used hold overs. My score reflects my inability to shoot IMHO. Also not having a proper rest which I finally got this month.

Still the rifle for what it is shot great. I had no problem with Customer Service on the phone. They were willing to send UPS to my house. Pick the gun up at no charge. Also in person they were very nice from the Security Guard to the people inside. I also got to see their in house Museum.

I only hope the replacement rifle shoots has good and I am able to dial the scope in. I have 7 Savages and have been satisfied with all of them. I never had to use Customer Service but was satisfied with the help I got.

I have a thread on 6mmBR.com about the problem with the gun and also Ammo Guide.com. I go by edpmedic if you want to look for the thread. Though it has not been up dated since I took the rifle back to Savage.

We need to be grateful that a Manufacture thought of us. Yes bottom line is what they can profit. Maybe it is cheaper to produce but for the money I think it is a good starting point. Use the rifle and burn the barrel out. Get a better replacement and if you feel it needs bedding go for it. For the price it is worth it.

A windy day here just fired mine up for the first time with, Nosler Brass, and 140s. The lands was quite easy to touch with a 3.075 contact COL with 140 gr SMKS

The winning load was 15 rounds in after the a barrel cleaning break in shot .6s and than jumped to .4s and one in the .3s.
That load was 20th off the lands COL with H-4350 powder right at the load it should be.

RL-22 was a complete flopp over 1 moa and H 4831 SC was good but not as good as 4350

I like the rifle and i expect good things from mine.

Someone shot two 5 shot groups barely over 0.5 MOA groups at 600 yds this weekend at Williamsport using the Savage F-class 6.5-284 using 142 SMK,
50 gr. H4831sc. Curious to see how it performs at 1K.
Ed

M12 LRPV in 223

I bought one if these with a 1:7 twist barrel. The barrel was bad and groups sucked! Savage replaced the barrel and it is good now, BUT i ahve replaced it with a 6mmBR Krieger barrel and made it into a switch barrel gun with two bolts. The Krieger barrel shoots so good I have not taken it off and tried the 223 barrel since I originally test fired it when it came back from Savage.

Seems that Savage is attempting to break into the previously "reserved for custom guns" market. I would think that with the volume they are producing they could get a "deal" with an after market barrel manufacturer such as Douglas Barrels and produce a truly fine factory gun for only a slight increase in price.

Its funny you mentioned 4831 SC my F-class did better with it the second time out with almost that same load you suggested..

My 142s should be in this week!

Attachments

• th_652-284006.jpg
    th_652-284006.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 778
  • th_652-284007.jpg
    th_652-284007.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 612
I am sure its not broke in with 50 shots throught it.

How do the 140s SMKs compare to teh 142s

I am sure the BC is not as good.

This week should tell the tail
on accuracy my 142s should be in.

Haven't tried the 140 SMKs yet. I got lots of 139 Lapua Scenar bullet, BC supposedly around 0.6xx, haven't tried them either. I will post the result when I compare them. Got lots of testing ( fun ) ahead of me.

Shoot well.
Ed

I just got a 65/284 three weeks ago. After proper barrell breakin, it shoots as well as the customs I've shot against so far out to 1,000 yds. A couple of the other shooters were impressed enough to go out and order one.

Mine is bone stock, right out of the box. It is good enough that I just ordered an F/TR in .308.

I must have gotten a Friday afternoon rifle as I am at 350 rounds and not a group worth talking about at 200 yards.

2 rounds will touch and the third is a flyer, no rhyme or reason. SD and ES are in single digits. Powder has been varied, RL 22, 19, H4350, N160. Primers have been BR 2 and GM 205M.

Brass Lapua and Nosler weight sorted to 1/2 grain.

Sierra 142 HPBT Match .020 out of the lands, at the lands and .010 into the lands.

Bullets are in the horizontial, so the harmonic of the barrel seems OK.

Going to try bedding the action if 4831 SC doesn't work out.

If anybody has any helpful thoughts, please let me know.

Bob.

Bob,

Bedding is always a good start. Check your scope mounts and if you're using a new (untested) scope, switch with one from a tack driver. If it still shoots bad a check of the crown and a bore scope would be in order. We unfortunately in order to get a rifle to shoot well change a lot of things at the same time making pinpointing of the culprit really difficult. IMHO it will shoot well after bedding.
Keep us posted.

Ed

I found my F-class savage loves H-4350 at 48.0 grains soft on the lands and 142s as well as 140s but 142s a bit better.

It sho tin the .4s for 5 shot groups with one poor group i blew.

H4831 is not the powder for my rifle at all,

Next week i will try seating depths and up and down a few grains of powder.

I also want to try those 140 grain A-max bullets they shot well in my 6br this weekend.

I am happy with my 6.5 savage. It shoots Moa, and thats all I can ask for.

Savage bedding: problems?

The factory version of "bedding" leaves a lot to be desired. With both of mine, just a hole in the stock into which the receiver would fit. Slop front to rear and side to side. Tighten the front guard screw, then watch the tang area flex down, as you tighten the rear screw. 10FP synthetic was replaced with a Bell and Carlson "Medalist". Dropped right in, perfect fit, without any fitting. Groups are now consistant 1/2 moa. Model 12BVSS, same problems, was properly bedded (Brownells Steel Bed), and groups shrunk, again to the 1/2 moa class. Both factory barrels have reamer/toolmarks across the lands & grooves, as seen w/ my borescope, but copper fouling is minimal and easily cleans out with "Butch's". Over-all very good factory rifles, at a reasonable cost: no they cannot compare with my custom barrelled rifles, but I do not have an arm and a leg invested, and when the barrels are shot-out, they will be easily replaced with a better barrel. Just my humble opinion, after 48 yrs of shooting/reloading, I'm still learning.

Back