Sako extractors again

My intent was to learn of these extractors on other bolts or actions. I'm not wanting opinions of their safety or value.
I personally do not like them, I'm just wanting to know who uses them.
Butch

Butch, I have thought about taking my favorite Farley Sporter and putting a Sako on the bottom of the bolt, cutting a drop port just like my Diamond Backs, and having a drop port Farley.

But, I noticed when the bolt is closed, that extractor is right smack in the middle of the left raceway, just like the conversion is in the right raceway on a Remington.

Didn't mean to Hyjack your thread, the safety issue was brought up, so I gave an answer........jackie

Butch, I have thought about taking my favorite Farley Sporter and putting a Sako on the bottom of the bolt, cutting a drop port just like my Diamond Backs, and having a drop port Farley.

But, I noticed when the bolt is closed, that extractor is right smack in the middle of the left raceway, just like the conversion is in the right raceway on a Remington.

Didn't mean to Hyjack your thread, the safety issue was brought up, so I gave an answer........jackie

And that's exactly why Jerry used a Remington extractor in his drop port actions. The sako would have been the easist way to go, but the thought of a sako extractor pointed at your face, just kind of turns you off on that. If you had a right bolt right port action, then it wouldn't be a big deal to use a Sako extractor as a drop port as the extractor would be contained in the left raceway in case it did come out. I installed a sako style extractor in a Hall action that it's owner was going to mill for a drop port. In the Hall, even if it came out, it would be contained by the large diameter bolt body.

John, It has a Sako extractor that was made by Sako especially for the Sako L46 action. It removes by lifting the lip of the extactor away from the center of the bolt which lifts an integral pin on the bottom of the extractor out of place and then the extractor slides forward on a dovetail cut into the bolt body.

I dont think it is.
Looks like a modification to me.

Jackie & Dennis,I agree 100% in reference to modifying a Rem.

The Barnard bolts, like the large bodied Hall & Borden Rimrock bolts are fit w/ SAKO style extractors.
The Lawton Machine bolts(PT&G) are fit w/ a miniature SAKO style extractor cut/set into the fwd face of the bolt lug.

I don't believe anything is protecting the shooter on a 2 lug action using a Sako style extractor without a shield...

And this includes all the custom actions (2-lug) that are RR, or even a RE. Even with a Sako extractor in a Remington, the bolt nose is still into the barrel recess. The custom actions with Sako extractors are using coned bolts, where there isn't any kind of "containment" per se.

With a complete case failure, I would even suspect even the sliding plate extractors could become airborn.

The sliding plate extractors are driven into the side of the action, but they stay in the action. I saw a Farley action at Jim Farley's one day where the shooter had put a load for a 6 PPC Lapua case into one of the old balloon head Sako cases. The case head blew and drove the sliding plate extractor into the receiver threads so hard that there was an impression of the receiver threads in the back of the extractor. The extractor stayed in the action. There is no place for it to go. I think the saving grace of the 6 PPC with Lapua cases and sako style extractors is that you aren't going to blow a primer on just about any load that you can get in a Lapua case with the powders normally used in the 6 PPC. You just can't get much more powder in them than some of the guys such as Jackie are shooting in them. You load Jackie's load in a balloon head Sako case and you'll have a blown primer.

Duh! You're right, the extractor would be clocked either straight up or straight down not in a raceway. I was just thinking about how easy they are to take out, it wouldn't take much to blow them out.

Back