Sako Extractor broken

Worker

Had a Sako extractor installed on my Rem 700. Shot to hot of a load today in NV desert. Broke my extractor. Is there a gunsmith out there that wants the repair work ?

Had a Sako extractor installed on my Rem 700. Shot to hot of a load today in NV desert. Broke my extractor. Is there a gunsmith out there that wants the repair work ?

If it is simply broken why not just install a new one...? Sako extracors snap in quite easily. Why did you have the conversion done in the first place?

I think Brownells have them in stock. Who ever altered your bolt will probably have or be able to get one. Maybe someone reading this will chime in.

I am assuming you are loading too hot if you are breaking extractors. I would suggest being more careful now that you have altered the Remington bolt. That Sako extractor can easily become shrapnel.

Send me an email, what caliber is it? I have a few in stock or you can order directly from PTG.

Is a real Sako, or the one that is sold as a after market item, by Harris. I think atrue Sako is narrower.

Long time ago, I had one of the Harris "Sako's" break just under normal conditions, I think they missed the heat treat.

But, as Dennis said, it is probably time to back it down a tad.

I'm thinking the extractor was not installed at the proper depth. If the bottom of the notch is not below the bolt face, the case head will be banging against it.

If your extractor is app. .175" wide you can get a replacement extractor from Brownell's, Midway or directly from Pacific Tool and Gauge. I figure most of the Sako style extractors are made by Pacific Tool whether marketed under a different name. Brownells carries it under Russ Haydon's name, Midway under Callahan.

That's a different size than most sako style extractors. The most common one is .175" and the next most common is .235" if I remember correctly. You might check with David Tubb as he carries about 4 or 5 different sizes of sako style extractors. Probably the simplest thing to do would be to contact whoever installed the extractor originally. He probably has more of them.

Last edited:
Back