Rock Creek 5R -16 and 17 twist

Just how many killer rifles can you shoot in one match? "Beware the man with only one gun, etc., etc." Not my style either.

Al Kunard
Al
you should have got it before you went south for the winter. I have one on the way. Just have to decide who will fit it up for me.

My stock order of Rock Creek barrels has began arriving and should have good supply of them soon. also have available for immediate shipping Broughton and Shillen. cspss@att.net or 913-963-1557.

Thanks for chimming in James, I was hoping someone would. the internet is a wealth of information, and like I said, maybe too much info is bad. based solely on what's out there about Metford rifling, some folks who are not as enlightened as we are here might be swayed away from considering a Metford. Thanks, Douglas

Pete, you are rapidly becoming the resident master of the obtuse question. Their twist rates are etched on the end of the blanks.

Tim,

Once again you didn't think about what I asked. I asked here if a 16 or 17 twist was the right twist for a "Standard" twist to use. perhaps another twist rate would work better. It's not all that difficult to understand now, is it?

I once heard a fellow say he could read "writin' but could not read "Printin", perhaps that is our problem.

Last edited:
Beware of the man who , out of several rifles, has one that shoots the ammo, he is able to get, well :).

I have decided that it is easier to test the ammo I can get in all my rifles than to test all the ammo to find what will work in one rifle
Pete
The expression was "I can read writin' I just cain't write readin'"

Tim,

Once again you didn't think about what I asked. I asked here if a 16 or 17 twist was the right twist for a "Standard" twist to use. perhaps another twist rate would work better. It's not all that difficult to understand now, is it?

I once heard a fellow say he could read "writin' but could not read "Printin", perhaps that is our problem.

If you could send me the Pete to English translation guide I would be appreciative.

I have decided that it is easier to test the ammo I can get in all my rifles than to test all the ammo to find what will work in one rifle
Pete

I had to paraphrase for the particular situation I was trying to address Don :).

As you may know, I am trying to get in step with Rimfire after a 12 year absence so I have yet to secure a rifle that will shoot everything or ammo that shoots well in anything. My comment was meant to be a lament for not having either yet.

Don, I thought you had the perfect excuse, needing every action there is in order to get the inletting correct. But I like your and Pete's thinking.

Al Kunard
Pete

Back off Stith!!! Their shop is 15 miles from my Wi. condo and I AM going to have them build me a barrel or two this summer for one of my 2013's. The one with the special block bedded stock you built for me. That rifle has a BM cone breech on it but I haven't had the time to tune the thing. BM didin't think enough of the barrel to even put their name on it. And no I haven't pushed a rod to test to see if the twist is what I ordered.
For those that are not sure what a block bed is, don't bother, it's aomething Don designed and prob. is no better than the lumber he calls BR stocks.

Al Kunard

Don has gotten several PM's about my dry humor. I have 3 rifles with Stith stocks one is for the Anne 2013. That stock has an alum. bedding block that Don designed to work like pillars. It works and I don't want to see many more on the line (more of my dry humor). As the ARA Indoor equipment list shows many of the top shooters rifles are wearing Stith stocks and not just because it's a beautiful piece of lumber. "Lumber" is the term that us old guys use to describe a good looking wood stock. As in "Great piece of lumber on that rifle/shotgun". Not many great craftmen out there that can make a beautiful stock that also rides the bags well. Don Stith is one of them.
I'm still not pleased that he is going to get to play with a Medford (sp?) before me. I'm going to try not to let that spoil our frirendship, but it does grate on my nerves that he has 3X more rifles than I do! I think I have more various lots of Eley but not by much. So all in all Don has won the race for the most toys and I'm a bad looser.

Al Kunard

Tested a Metford today. As Mel said, it is not ammo sensitive. The best I ever shot. If you want a winning formula, go with the GM plan. That is Gordon (gunsmith) and Medford (Rock Creek barrel)

Back