Rock Creek 5R -16 and 17 twist

J

Jr. Brooks

I have got my new 5R's yesterday from Rock Creek, hope to have them ready to go for the rest of the indoor season, these are great guy's to work with, if they shoot as good as the builders are to work with,this should be fun, thank you Paul and James

Have you confimed the twist?

Just wondering if you have measured the twist and how close they are to 16 and 17.

I know at least 1 popular barrel maker many of us are using whose actual twists are nowhere close to a 16 or 17 when you order it.....but.... in reality they are turning out excellent shooting barrels and on some of the finest shooting rifles in the country.

I'm not referring to Rock Creek either, I've never had one of thier barrels but may try one at some point.

Be anxious to hear how your barrels shoot.

Charlie

The last two Benchmarks I ordered were clearly identified as 16.5 and 17.7 in conversation and so stamped on the barrels. Both shoot well.

The last two Benchmarks I ordered were clearly identified as 16.5 and 17.7 in conversation and so stamped on the barrels. Both shoot well.

we all will know what they will shoot like when the scores are posted at the rest of the indoor shoots and I'm not the best shot in the world but I will be able to compair them to my other ones, it should be interesting since there are not any out there in the ARA world or their may be that I'm not aware of but I'm going to take look at them

Don:
My first BM was clearly marked 16.5, but when it was checked by two others, it came out 19.5. Sent it back, and got another. and it was also marked 16.5 and Bill Myers confirmed it. BM said it should never left the shop. It shot well after Bill Myers installed it.

Last edited:
Don:
My first BM was clearly marked 16.5, but when it was checked by two others, it came out 19.5. Sent it back, and got another. and it was also marked 16.5 and Bill Myers confirmed it. BM said it should never left the shop. It shot well after Bill Myers installed it.
Fred:
I just heard of a Rock Creek Medford that is soon to come out on the ARA indoor season so we will have three to look at

Could someone tell me whether it is Medford or Metford. I find both on the internet searches.
Might have one put on my 2013 to compare it to the Benchmark that is on it. Almost as good as a slave action.

I thought it was MeTford, but now you got me thinking......? Who is Mr. Metford? Thanks, Douglas

i just googled "metford rifling", maybe too much info is a bad thing. Mr. Metford was an old British guy who teamed up with a guy named Lee and they came up with the Lee-Metford rifle, trouble was, the barrels wore out too fast and Mr. Lee found a guy named Enfield............ thanks, Douglas

Don: It is Metford. Medford is a town in WI I lived in for a few years. There is on in MA too and OR I think. Hold on a bit, I'm having one put on a 37 this month. With luck you can shoot it in February at Piney Hill. You will be making new wood for it soon too I hope, if it shoots well that is. bob

Could someone tell me whether it is Medford or Metford. I find both on the internet searches.
Might have one put on my 2013 to compare it to the Benchmark that is on it. Almost as good as a slave action.

Back off Stith!!! Their shop is 15 miles from my Wi. condo and I AM going to have them build me a barrel or two this summer for one of my 2013's. The one with the special block bedded stock you built for me. That rifle has a BM cone breech on it but I haven't had the time to tune the thing. BM didin't think enough of the barrel to even put their name on it. And no I haven't pushed a rod to test to see if the twist is what I ordered.
For those that are not sure what a block bed is, don't bother, it's aomething Don designed and prob. is no better than the lumber he calls BR stocks.

Al Kunard

Keep in mind that Metford rifling in the Lee-Metford rifle performed well when it was shooting black powder cartridges. The Brits started to encounter barrel life problems when they changed to smokeless (if you can call it that) powder charges. They were shooting cupro-nickel jacketed bullets, with cordite stick powder, and corrosive primers, out of barrels made from nickel alloy steel. The deck was stacked against Metford rifling. Conventional rifling performed better under those circumstances. The Lee-Enfield rifle is basically the Lee-Metford rifle with conventional rifling.

With modern powder and primers, current steel technology, soft waxed lead bullets, and low pressures associated with rimfire cartridges, we see this rifling performing comparably to the current crop of MI rifling styles in terms of barrel life.

Good Luck with those barrels Jr., give us a report when you have had a chance to do some shooting.

James Lederer
Rock Creek Barrels

Don: It is Metford. Medford is a town in WI I lived in for a few years. There is on in MA too and OR I think. Hold on a bit, I'm having one put on a 37 this month. With luck you can shoot it in February at Piney Hill. You will be making new wood for it soon too I hope, if it shoots well that is. bob

A guy asked me one time how high up I went in school and I said, second story, that's why it was Medford and not Metford

Al
you should have got it before you went south for the winter. I have one on the way. Just have to decide who will fit it up for me.

Back