robinett 30 br trim lengh

skeetlee

I didn't get a print with my reamer and I would like to know what the trim length is for my 30 br robinett chambet. Thanks. Lee

Reamer Blue Print

I didn't get a print with my reamer and I would like to know what the trim length is for my 30 br robinett chambet. Thanks. Lee

That happened to me--No Print with Reamer.
Called company and they apologized and e-mailed me the print.
Might be worth a phone call.
CLP

If you have a bore scope, you can drill out the primer pocket on a scrap piece of brass, size it, chamber it, and go look where it is in relation to the neck length.

Mine is supposed to be Robinette at 1.500 so I trim to 1.490. Many of the BR's are 1.520. I have never measured my chamber and my reamer is housed at my smith's shop. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Randy J.

Or you could ream a barrel stub and mill neck area and check against a piece of brass. this isn't rocket surgery

Regrettably . . .

Might help to know which one, there are a few variations...

George is correct - there are many variations of the [so called] Robinett reamer out there.:( If it is a true (original) version, the maximum case length should be 1.510" - and trim to 1.500". In my opinion, any reamer, ground with a single deviation from the/an original print, should not bear the same title - it's DIFFERENT.

Wayne points out a very good method for determining what you've really got. If you have, or have access to a bore scope, this is sure-fire. You can, assuming it was cut with the chamber reamer, also use your shoulder bump gauge, as opposed to chambering - then, you do not need to drill a hole - simply enter through the gauge-bore, and see what you've got.

Another, more complicated method: 1) trim a case (or two) only just enough to square the mouth(s) - something longer than 1.510"; 2) assure that the shoulder is short of the proper head-space length; 3) disassemble the bolt (remove the firing-pin & spring assembly) and chamber the empty, un-primed case, and see if the bolt will close of only the handle weight. If yes, your chamber longer. If no, your case is too long, and being held against the chamber-mouth chamfer: trim off another 0.005 and repeat, until handle will just close of its own weight. Once the maximum length is determined, trim to 0.010" shorter, then, moniter, and trim all cases when one reaches about 1.505" long, which will normally, be quite a few firings.

Sincalir International makes a "plug-gauge" which works in similar fashion, but the rim needs to be turned down to something smaller than the chamber neck-diameter. RG

there are many variations of the [so called] Robinett reamer out there.:( If it is a true (original) version, the maximum case length should be 1.510" - and trim to 1.500". In my opinion, any reamer, ground with a single deviation from the/an original print, should not bear the same title - it's DIFFERENT.

Beware! There's one out there labeled Robinette that's 1.560".

Yes - and THAT is a "KILLER" . . .

Beware! There's one out there labeled Robinette that's 1.560".

It amounts to 0.060" of excess free-bore, which is NECK diameter, as opposed to 'slightly' over groove diameter - unless one can make brass that long (it IS possible, using Jackie Schmidt's froming method), for most barrels, this is a REAL precision wrecker . . . :( RG

These work well. I make my own from brass by turning to neck diameter at the end and to bullet diameter for the rest of the length. Trim the brass short enough that the plug has room to seat without bottoming on the case mouth.

It amounts to 0.060" of excess free-bore, which is NECK diameter, as opposed to 'slightly' over groove diameter - unless one can make brass that long (it IS possible, using Jackie Schmidt's froming method), for most barrels, this is a REAL precision wrecker . . . :( RG

When I was sent this print and saw the long dimension Jackie's BR and method came to mind. I'm also glad I caught the dimension before I ordered a reamer. The print said nothing other than "30 BR Robinett finisher".

BTW I have your original PS article filed in my drawer for reference. Thanks!

Lee, you just have to make your brass by fire forming rather than necking it up over a mandrel. Requires a dedicated FF barrel, but you chamber your own, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The most consistent that I've found it to just let a cheapie 6mm bullet rattle down the barrel.

Greg J.

if you use a 6mm bullet dont worry about using a fireform barrel. I dont think you'll get any wear except for the heat.

this freakin reamer I have is the 1.560 this sucks! anyone want to buy a used once 30br reamer??? lee

Send it in and have it shortened. Get a print and mark the changes you want right on the print. Easy, been there and no problem. If you want PTG to do the work, call and they'll issue an RMA with a notation that the reamer is coming in for neck and throat rework.

Always, order the print, then order the reamer. The reamer grinder can't read your mind.

The original BR, made from the 308 Winchester was the 7BR. IIRC, this was called the 7mmCBR, a Jim Carmichel creation, and, again IIRC, 1.500" long.

Many later variants, the 6BR and 22 BR were 1.560" long. Some of the others, the 25BR, for example, were 1.530" long. A Clymer drawing for the 22BR
shows "base to case mouth" 1.570".

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Again, get the print, then the reamer. The supplier and you have something solid to work from.

Stool, in order to shorten the freebore, one must remove material from the reamer. I had Hugh Henriksen change my .045 FB reamer to .025. No problem. James

As I read it, he would like to shorten the neck and keep the same amount of freebore, which will require re-grinding the neck and the throat. Yes, it can be and is done. If he only shortens the neck, there will be a longer area in front of the chamber, so the throat would need to be re-ground also, if he wants to maintain the same amount of freebore. As Randy stated, a short case in a long chamber yields a freebore area that is neck diameter, as opposed to generically, bullet diameter. I would consider that to be substantially less than ideal.

Back