Rings for Turbo?

Travelor

I just bought a beautiful used Turbo actioned RF rifle with a Shilen ratchet barrel in a McM red marble stock from Dan Killough. It has bases that sit approx 3/8" above the action. I bought some BKL rings from Dan at the same time.

The rings required a bunch of torque to tighten to the bases. Small problem in that the Weaver T-36 scope is requiring almost full windage adjustment to boresight.

My thought is that these BKL rings are just not the correct ones for the bases. Anyone help with a different ring set or idea?

George

Both rings facing the same direction?
If so try turning them around. Dont know if that will help or not.
I have used BLK rings on mine and had to turn them around to get it right.

Don't forget Randolph machine and Bill Hindegardner, they both make nice rings.

Semper fi

Scopes pointing off in strange directions are usually caused by miss mounted bases or bases that don't match the rings. Either way, the rings won't line up with the scope tube so lap the scope in which ever way you go....

As I recall, the bases on Turbos have some side to side adjustment in them so you might want to check that out.

Thanks guys - a lot.

The rifle was built by Mr. Gorham. I called him and he knows the gun I have and told me the bases were Davison and needed Kelby rings. I have ordered a set and this should fix the issue.

As an aside, Mr. Gorham told me this rifle won the first two PSL matches so I find it hard to believe the bases are not straight.

:eek:

George

Thanks guys - a lot.

The rifle was built by Mr. Gorham. I called him and he knows the gun I have and told me the bases were Davison and needed Kelby rings. I have ordered a set and this should fix the issue.

As an aside, Mr. Gorham told me this rifle won the first two PSL matches so I find it hard to believe the bases are not straight.

:eek:

George

I know this is an old posting, was doing a search regarding the BKL rings and torgue settings etc... for I had just purchased a new Leupold 40X Comp scope for my Turbo to replace a Weaver 36X and yes after doing some research decided to give the BKL rings a try since all I could find was good reviews about them. I didn't see this post until after I got them and hadn't even gotten them out of the box and I go dang this isn't good. So I go check them out and no problem they slide over the bases on my Turbo with just a little resistence and with less than a 1/8 of a turn at most they are snug. The rifle was built in 2010 and Richard was the smith on it. As far as I know the bases are the ones that came with the Turbo so not sure what the deal is if some have had problems and others haven't and/or BKL changed something.

Oh well after I get them adjusted, lapped, yes I know BKL states you don't have the lap their rings I'll still give them at least a little touch up as needed.

Les

Last edited:
Ok Here’s the Deal!
When David owned BKL (Early 2000’s) I spent a many hours on the phone with him discussing machining & his scope mounts – in particular the Single strap 3/8” Dovetail model. (Not The Double!)
I have used them on five 40X’s, four Anschutz & a Suhl and I can safely say they were the best mounts you could buy at triple the price!!
I NEVER Lapped them (David’s Recommendation) and never had a problem.
Furthermore I could easily move any scope to any rifle I had without any problems & If I set them up right in the beginning I would always be on paper. ( I spent most of the time on setting up the bases & next to none on the rings!)

(Moving 40X to 40X 1 to 2 inches & Anschutz to Anschutz less than an inch.)

I have not tried any of the Rings from the company that David sold out to!

With that in mind I tried them on Davidson Style bases a week ago & did not like the fit!
I hope the above makes sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back