Rimfire Reamers

The two new barrels

Some guys will do a post chamber polish or a lapp to eliminate any roughness or burrs that will not shoot out compared to, say a PPC.
The exact methodology of this seems to vary and is highly propriatary. On their deathbed you’re not likely to get anybody to devulge much.

My question to Landy was in regards more towards breaking in or “seasoning” the chamber’s throat area particular in regards to carbon/lead fouling.
Brand new barrels often build carbon in the throat fairly frequently until they get “seasoned” if you will.
IMHO it is important as to how you clean and maintain until that point to realize max potential of a barrel.

With that said I think I have rambled on enough. It would be nice to have someone else jump in here.

I just did acted individually differently regrading the carbon ring. One of them I polished the the throat a good bit on and it built a big carbon ring initially. Seeing that, I didn't polish the second at all and it didn't build much of a ring. Both have diminished regarding the carbon as rounds have gone through. Neither foul much now and I have found no evidence of lead since the first box through the polished chamber. So, there may be something to the seasoning thing, however, I think it may have more to do with wear than anything else. Reamers are rough tools in a RF barrel compared to a CF barrel, from my years of experience. CF chambers all come out smooth in comparison.

Pete

Last edited:
Shelly Davidsons design for a CF stock maybe 20 years ago or so? --Greg

Greg, Shelly Davidson's 'Tinker Toy' rifle was indeed the inspiration for my version of the skeleton stock you see here.
Shelly came out to my place several times and tested in the tunnel. His rifle, which was chambered in 30 BR, shot great. He was quite an innovator.

Although I copied nothing about the way Shelly built his rifle, as I said, it did get me to thinking about my own design for an all aluminum, bolt-together, bolt-it-on benchrest stock for centerfire actions. Only two were built for rimfire actions.

For a couple of years, both the rifles I shot in short range group matches were the skeleton type. I usually called them 'Ultralites.' The first one I nicknamed "Bud Ugly.

"Most people said, "Aww, that won't work!" "With that forend 'sled' bolted directly to the barrel like that, it'll mess up your harmonics!" Well, it certainly did nothing of the kind and the rifles shot very well, responding in a perfectly normal manner to the tuner. I've given it a lot of thought and intend to build more incorporating only two small improvements. Stay tuned.

Gene Beggs

Back