Rimfire Cleaning: Is Brushing Bore Absolutely Necessary ?

Yep I know what you mean about the rods. I've witnessed rod carnage inflicted on barrels by ham fisted shooters.
Myself, I push a patch through a barrel as absolutely slow as possible and still keep it moving. It is amazing what you can feel inside a bore with a slow moving patch. Easier to make sure the rod is rotating as well.
Thanks for the heads up.

The Pellets

Hi Tim,

I'm not certain if they'll fill the bore with those barrels having somewhat aggressive rifling, but with the various MI barrels that are so popular these days, I'm nearly certain they do. I base this on how easily the cleaning rod turns when a bore gets so fouled that patches and brushes don't turn the rod.
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been surprised over the years how often a cleaning rod won't rotate and it happens even with very popular and accepted methods of cleaning the bore.

I never push or pull a cleaning rod thru a barrel without having marks on it that easily show it rotating and I "always" pay attention. If the rod doesn't rotate with whatever cleaning method is preferred, you absolutely need to investigate why.

Sometimes it's the rod's fault and sometimes it's the patch size and/or jag diameter that causes the problem, but you can't clean a bore properly when the tools you're using slide across the rifling instead of following it.
I know I'm being "Mr Obvious" but I suspect there are a great many shooters who don't pay attention to rod rotation and might just possibly benefit from the knowledge....or not! LOL

On multiple occasions I've had barrels quit shooting (Mostly Shilen Octagons) and I've brought them back to life with the felt pellets/Kroil/JB the length of the bore.
I wish I could say it works every time, but that's not the case.

Landy

The jag for the pellets has a nice chamfer at the butt of it and if one turns the rod a couple of turns once it feels loose, the pellets tighten up again. I use these to "Lap" ragged barrels.

Something a bit more aggressive than JB , I find, works well bringing old barrels back. I am into the 120 now to shorten up the time and number of strokes necessary. I don't believe a lame barrel can be damaged much , if any.

Pete

The jag for the pellets has a nice chamfer at the butt of it and if one turns the rod a couple of turns once it feels loose, the pellets tighten up again. I use these to "Lap" ragged barrels.

Something a bit more aggressive than JB , I find, works well bringing old barrels back. I am into the 120 now to shorten up the time and number of strokes necessary. I don't believe a lame barrel can be damaged much , if any.

Pete

Pete often posts about lead in his barrels.
Pete"laps" with felt pellets.
Anybody out there take a deductive reasoning course???

Back