Right bolt, right port and bench reloading "table manners".

running

in my case it used to be panic gunning, i have since learned to slow down. but to at least be able to shoot fast just in case i ever need to ,i generally shoot fast if the winds are steady but still slow enough to see the condition to watch for letups and make a decision between shots,that has helped, but i am also ready to hit the nitrous if i get the condition for 13 seconds or more . it seems somtimes the longer i wait the group ussually gets bigger that is in the long range aspect but still applies generally.but ultimately when i slowed down my groups grew slightly but my agg got smaller. i must admit ,i know i should, but sometimes i just dont have the guts to shoot real slow certainly for the full time period.good luck to all next season . tim in tx

another way to see it...

I shot R/R in the beginning, now I'm a R/L/RE guy, but I still shoot the R/R HV in some local matches.

Keeping a continuous eye on the conditions and shooting fast is really about adapting. The way I see it: watch the conditions, be able to call your shot, and keep shooting as long as you can keep adjusting for the changes you see. Whether it is 5 rounds in 15 seconds or a full minute, the speed is not the important thing. Smoothness and automating the tiny adjustments from the condition changes that flow into your eyes will keep the groups sane. It is easier in 15 seconds than 2 minutes, but it all about knowing your gun, your load, the yardage. It is trigger time.

If anything breaks that line of concentration and you can't call the shot precisely, then simply back off. This could be a pickup, a letup, or a reverse that you can't call, or a lapse in attention when you have to look away from the conditions and temporarily forgot what exactly is happening. About anything that breaks the flow of aim-and-fire. Go the sighter again. Regroup, so to speak. Finish the group when you are comfortable that you can call the shot(s) back into the same hole. Anything else generally gets you a .3 where you had a .1 going.

Rod

find your own way

I am new to the br game and have taken advice from anyu one who would give it and just found my self get worse. Also I was at two matches this summer that a first time br shooter with a borred gun won the custom class. these where score matches.

One problem w/ cartridges holders...

I shoot a RB/LP/RE with my cartridges on the towel. I have considered a Crawford-type holder, but it tends to block my view of the flags. I am still considering using one, but I will have to put the cartridges lower than has been suggested in order to see the flags properly.

For the new shooters, many of the comments from this forum are posted by some of the best shooters in the sport. Kent Harshman has won the HV Grand 2 out of the last three Super Shoots. Jackie Schmidt is a terror to those of us who shoot in the Gulf Coast Region. Pat Byrne has been away from shooting for 2 or three years, but as Jackie said, he is one of the best shooters I have seen. His HOF credentials prove it. Good shooting and Merry Christmas....James Mock

This is the best thread in quite some time. Mr. Harshman's first post should be saved and given to new shooters!

The only thing I would add is that while opening the bolt and grabbing the next cartridge I will VERY SLIGHTLY, and almost imperceptibly, raise my head so that I can see with BOTH eyes what is going on while letting my hands do the work below getting everything ready for the next shot. I use a R/L/RE and work the bolt with my right hand while loading with the left.

Kent's style has certainly influenced me. I shot next to him about 3 years ago at the 200-300 yard Championships at Canastota. I was in awe as he would sit and study conditions with the bolt open...sometimes at 30 seconds he would be sitting there as if there were 5 minutes to go. Then-with no other choice-would smoothly go to work and shoot a bug hole.

Another top shooter to watch is Larry Costa. His style is extaordinarily smooth. If you stand to the rear and left you can barely notice he is shooting-very quickly and deliberately-and almost always small.

The ultimate knob twidler is Joe Krupa. He shoots a Gary Hayes front rest, preferring it to the joystick style rest. His bag set up is so measured and reliable that he only has to make very small windage and elevation adjustments between shots. He can put 5 shots down as quickly as the best joystick runners.

jks

Last edited:
RBRP=one word YUCK!! At least for me and I am not a point blank guy save when I get to shoot with my point blank buddies the RP really slows me down and makes me concentrate harder while loading. Now if Jerry would just make the repeater Predators in RBLP those would be my Sporter actions of choice as well.

Rbrp

I have only shot Right Right, and never had the opportunity to try Right Left in practice or a match. I shoot with a towel, to catch the brass and protect my elbow.I have my cartridge holder to the right. My habit is to put the sighters back into the holder and put the record rounds i the holders tray. Helps me keep it simple.

This year, I began to shoot with a windage top and a stiffer rear bag. I feel that it helped me with most of my rifle handling....and if only I could do it all the time. I am a picker because I cannot seem to load or reload my gun easily and smoothly. I seem to upset it to much. So I reload, bring it back to battery, and then check for conditions and mirage.

A long time ago, a very wise BR Shooter told me to pay more attention to the flags, even when you were not shooting. There would be plenty of time to socialize later.So I tried to start doing that more...especially when I could.

I try to determine what the predominant flow will be, and then concentrate on that. Sometimes it even works (or I get terribly lucky).

I, like most short range BR folks, like a gun that is in tune and conditions that can be accomplished. Sometimes both actually come to bear.

Our new motto for 2009 should be....'Let's learn the flags!"

regards

Geary Koglin

I would like to thank everyone for there educational and productive responses. As a new benchrest shooter, I find this information valuable. This is helping me in my efforts to become a better HV/LV shooter.

I don't want to seem like a brownoser but I wish there where more posts like this one. I have been reading many forums for many years and find many too may posts that deal with non pertinent information. like, what colour is your stock or pics of a rifle besides a swimming pool.

If Kent, Jackie or Jeff and others are willing to give me advise. Then I will follow it and give it my best shot to learn.

Thanks.

As I read the post........says dont need "wrist support" etc, then says use a towell?........I dont understand?

Ernie

I suspect he is talking about placing a towel, or some other protection, on the bench where your elbo lays. Concrete benches can really rub your elbo raw over an entire week end match, and you won't even notice untill later.

Been there, done that........jackie

Back