Remington's new Mod. 700 VTR

Hey This Is A Bit Off Topic But What Do You Think

MID-WAY ARMS IS SELLING A SCOPE THAT CLAIMS TO BE A GOV-OVER-RUN. THE SCOPE IS TITLED "COUNTER SNIPER" 10-40x 56MM
WITH A 64MM BELL. IT ALSO HAS THE RETICAL IN THE FIRST FOCAL PLANE. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT SCOPES OTHER THAN I HAVE HAD SOME JUNK AND WHOULD REALY LIKE A QUALITY SCOPE. SHOULD I CONTINUE AND SAVE MY MONEY AND BUY A LEUPOLD FOR $1800. IF ANYONE HAS SOME SOLID EXPIRIANCE I WOULD LOVE TO GET YOUR FEEDBACK. I LIVE IN MIDDLE TENEESSE AND INTEND TO PLACE THIS SCOPE ON A MAUSER 98 CAL 308 THAT I PUT TOGETHER WITH A ADDAMS AND BENETT BARELL FROM MID WAY ARMS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS.

new

GT40,

Shootingtimes April rag has an article on it.....

Interesting about the weird three slab side cut bull barrel... Guess it could be quite effective in reduceing weight while maintaining barrel stiffness.

A kinda "Magna port" break is on all of these models barrels. Three oh 3/16" vertical cuts about an inch from muzzle and spaced 1/2 inch apart.
Don't want sticks or whatever crud to fall in those while in the field!!!!!:eek:

Looks to be a nice varmint rifle line added to big green.

What was wrong with the XR-100 ......... :confused:

cale

MID-WAY ARMS IS SELLING A SCOPE THAT CLAIMS TO BE A GOV-OVER-RUN. THE SCOPE IS TITLED "COUNTER SNIPER" 10-40x 56MM
WITH A 64MM BELL. IT ALSO HAS THE RETICAL IN THE FIRST FOCAL PLANE. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT SCOPES OTHER THAN I HAVE HAD SOME JUNK AND WHOULD REALY LIKE A QUALITY SCOPE. SHOULD I CONTINUE AND SAVE MY MONEY AND BUY A LEUPOLD FOR $1800. IF ANYONE HAS SOME SOLID EXPIRIANCE I WOULD LOVE TO GET YOUR FEEDBACK. I LIVE IN MIDDLE TENEESSE AND INTEND TO PLACE THIS SCOPE ON A MAUSER 98 CAL 308 THAT I PUT TOGETHER WITH A ADDAMS AND BENETT BARELL FROM MID WAY ARMS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS.

Start your own topic and loose the caps. You'll get more responses that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
remington 700 vtr

Has anyone seen and or shot one of these? Any comments are welcome. :confused:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

gt40

yes i have shot a stock one of these and yes the barrel looks funny and i only shot it like 5or 6 times in one day and it was a great shooting gun now i have not talked to my friend for a while so i do not know how it is holding up but it is remington so it is probably holding up really good

Vtr

Ther is a guy on predatormastor.com with a detailed look at his .308. He has some great pics and really likes the gun.

Gt40: I have handled several of these at various Gunshops on the west coast and here in the Rocky Mountains.
The prices have ranged from $619.00 to $700.00.
My local pawn/sport shop had one and it was on the wall for less than a week and it sold!
I like the looks, feel and fit of the Rifle and stock but do not know anyone who has shot one.
I was in Ennis, Montana yesterday at the Shedhorn Sports shop and they had several of the Remington 700 VTR's (at $669.00) they have sold several and accuracy has been reported back as good. They also had two of the Remington 700 Tactical Rifles in caliber 223 Remington ($1,089.00!) no reports back on these type Rifles.
I have a muzzle brake on a custom 223 Remington Varminter and I wish it were not there! When shooting from the prone position it sucks up so much of a dust cloud it obscures my sight picture so I can not see the bullets impact. The muzzle brake works well from sitting positions and from my benches and the hood of my Varmintmobile though.
I have quite a number of 223 Varminters and probably will not be a player for one of these.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Personally, I would prefer them keep the xr-100 in the line and I dont think I would be the first too lineup and buy a barrel shaved like they did no that rifle, let some one else be the guinnie pig so to speak.

Just another point, doesnt Remington have enough variations of different models of their 700 already in the same caliber selection? 204, 223, 22250, and 308 are fine calibers but I think they already have about 10 other models all offering the exact same caliber, only difference is slight difference in color or quality of the plastic in the stock. Try offering a rifle in something different, like maybe 6mm rem or 260 or something. Im not going to buy another 223 or 308 just to have a different colored plastic stock with 3 sides shaved off the barrel. Are You?

Note to Remington: Want to sell more rifles? listen to the complaints of your customers and fix those things. Dont go down the worthless gimmick route, as in the end, it will be detrimental to your company. hint hint.

Crusader: "THE" explanation I got about this odd triangular shaped heavy barrel is an attempt to keep barrel whip or vibration down to a minimum.
And you may very well be right this "could" be an experiment?
Although I have a bit more "confidence" in Big Green, that before they offer it as a cataloged item that they would have good reason to believe that this shape is beneficial in some way (ways?) to the accuracy minded shooter.
I will try to track down the guy in my small town that bought the 700 VTR (in 223) and see how its shooting for him.
It just came in about 15 days ago and sold right away!
It may not be set-up to shoot as yet (scope prices being what they are!).
But I will try to get that info.
Yes Remington does have a lot of Models of the 700 and they have styles and barrel lengths and weights to try and "please" every possible customer they can!
I don't personally see anything wrong with that and in fact I have quite a number of Remington 700 Rifles in quite a number of styles, barrel lengths, steel types and barrel weights.
I was just now perusing the 2,008 Remington catalog and they do have an amazing abundance of models and variations of finishes, styles and etc. To many to count in fact.
And they seem to be doing pretty well in the world market nowadays and have been for quite some time with their 700 line!
I also agree that the XR-100 should have been kept in the line-up!
That one does perplex me.
To answer your question directly I already have 7 guns in caliber 223 that have the Remington brand name on them - so no I am not going to get a 700 VTR. But some folks are buying them! My friend Ben is actively dealing on a 700 VTR in 223 Remington. He would have bought the one that came into my town but somebody bought it out from under him.
So that answer would be "yes" some folks are buying the VTR.
I have to touch on your basic premise again with this - variety is a good thing in about all instances I can envision.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I really think Remington needs to address what they are putting out these days and match it to the prices they are asking. This gun has a CHEAP plastic stock on it that offers no more than the Savage Stevens stock and even the Stevens stock has pillars. However, the Stevens is half the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Remington fan over Savage but one thing Savage has done is listened to their customers.

All I see these days is Remington putting out SPS, VTR, etc. and they are all junk in terms of stocks. Why not at least put a HS stock on 'em? If you want HS today, you spend on a 700 Tactical or VSSF II.

All I see these days is Remington putting out SPS, VTR, etc. and they are all junk in terms of stocks. Why not at least put a HS stock on 'em? If you want HS today, you spend on a 700 Tactical or VSSF II.

I think you answered your own question. While a lot of shooters are willing to shell out $500 or so for a plastic stocked SPS Varmint not quite as many are going to pay close to $900 or more for a 700P or $950 or so for a VS SFII.

I bought a Dick's Special SPS Varmint on sale for $479 and then there was a $30 rebate after that. I had won a HS stock on eBay for $190 so the total I had invested in a 700 with HS stock was under $700 which is still far below any factory produced 700 with HS stock.

vtr

i looked at one and i dont even think the barrel was free floating. nice idea with the new design but why not consentrate on the products they already offer. i still cant find any 17 fireball brass. lee

I and a friend bought new VTRs in 223. They shot an occasional 1/2" group, but even bullets/loads that shot an occasional 1/2" group shot most groups into .85" or higher. We tried several different bullets and loads. They are not bedded nor free floated. As for as shooting, it depends on what you are expecting. I was disappointed and have ordered a Kreiger replacement barrel.

Long time lurker.

I have not shot one of these wonder rifles. But if you want to over pay for a SPS with a goofy barrel then go right a head. This rifle is following in Remingtons new direction, low quality high price. I have see it for sale localy at three stores Store #1 it was $1765 Store #2 was $765 and Store #3 it was $1999.99. Store 1 & 2 were local gun stores with good names Store #3 was a big box store (Not Bass Pro or Cabelas). I personaly would not pay $250 for the rifle.

The stock is stright off their budget line of SPS rifles. The cartridges it comes chambered for do not have much recoil and are no where near enough recoil to warrent the ugly looking slots that looked liked they were cut by a drunk monkey with a hacksaw . The fit and finish was crappy to say the bestThe three I looked at had varying gaps up the side of the action from .0001" to .25" That is too much varyance for me. It is a remington 700 so it should shoot like a remington 700. If you want a rifle to start on get the SPS take the stock off and sell it to some yahoo on the internet for $100 and go buy yourself a good quality Bell & Carlson, Mac Millian, H-S, Brown ect...... stock. Or better yet do your gun safe proud and go get a Savage.

Remington is off my list for now. Sad because all but one of my rifles is a Remington.

Remilngton VTR

Hunter, will Krieger (or any other barrel maker) produce a barrel in the same triangular configuration? And what about a replacement stock? Will it fit the triangular bedding??? I am thinking about buying a 22.250 VTR; would like to read a few more posts concerning accuracy.

I don't know of any other barrel manufacturer that makes a rectangular barrel. However, I am not interested in one especially since this one did not pattern up to my expectations. It wasn't bedded or free floated and my gun smith can make any necessary corrections for the Kreiger barrel to fit while at the same time blue printing the action. Hopefully with bedding, blue printing, and a kreiger barrel I will get a product that will shoot up to my expectations.

Nightforce 12 x 42 just for testing. Will have NightForce 5.5 x 22 mounted after the Kreiger barrel has been tested with the NightForce 12 X 42.

Forget to comment on the wind. Not much and basically straight into us on all 3 days we were shooting.

Why in the world buy a VTR with plans on rebarrelling it? Why plan to rebarrel it without trying to find its potential with a good bedding job, a float job, and a trigger job? I sure hope you're not going to put that custom barrel in that cheap plastic stock.

Back