Remington's new Mod. 700 VTR

Tyler, I never intended to rebarrel it. I only decided to rebarrel after shooting it, having it beded, floated, and having a trigger job and finding out it still didn't shoot worth a hoot. I tried to answer what was ask in the original post concerning my experience with the gun shooting as it came from Remington. I might have come into town on a turnip truck when it comes to accurazing a rifle, but it was not the last truck. There is always room on this truck for those who second guess what someone else has done without full knowledge of the chain of events and their reasoning.

I don't know of any other barrel manufacturer that makes a rectangular barrel. However, I am not interested in one especially since this one did not pattern up to my expectations. It wasn't bedded or free floated...

Sure sounded like you didn't expel all options before making an expensive decision to rebarrel, per your own quote. Just wondering why you'd take an expensive route before expelling all normal accurizing procedures.

Tyler, perhaps you are right. The chain of events in my post could have been clearer. When the gun was purchased and first shot none of the accurazing work had been done. You could not slide a dollar bill between the barrel and stock because it was touchung on the sides while there was a void on the bottom between the barrel and stock. The action was not bedded either. After bedding the action, making sure the barrel was floating, a 2 LB. trigger job, and blue printing the action there was no decisive increase in consistant accuracy. Then, came the decision to rebarrel with a kreiger since I have 2 other guns (300 WSM and 6.5x284) which wear Kreigers and are tack drivers. I never would have been satisfied with the 223 unless I tried a Kreiger to see if this would substantially improve the accuracy when nothing else that was tried did. In hind sight I would have been better off to buy a Stainless Remington short action, a Kreiger barrel, acceptable stock and have a 223 built from scratch. Opps !! Did I admit I made a mistake ? Yep, I guess so.

Hunter66654: Thanks for the prompt reply!
Well that sure answers my question - you have/had plenty of power and a top notch scope on that Remington 700 VTR!
Thats not the "problem".
If indeed there is a problem?
If you are occassionally shooting 1/2" groups and "averaging" .85" you should be satisfied and go shoot your 223.
But the VTR is apparently not "averaging" well enough for you, and for that I wish there was a simple "cure".
I would try the Rifle again in dead calm air.
I have been getting excellent accuracy with all the Remington Varminters I have recently bought (last several years worth), including those in 223 caliber!
I wish your VTR would perk up without you having to go with the expensive barrel and expensive Riflesmithing that will now ensue!
I have not personally seen any results with the new VTR Rifles but the results from several SPS Varmints I am familiar with have been rather good!
If that VTR won't shoot up to your expectations with 52 gr. Bergers or 52 Sierras then I would try just a couple standard fixes (the 52 gr. Bergers being one!), like bedding the action/stock with Marine-Tex and seeing if there is some way to re-crown that inset muzzle?
Anyway best of luck from here on out with the VTR!
I am retired now and I can "wait" to shoot on dead calm air days. In fact thats the ONLY time I shoot for group or sight-in verification.

CPTTango30: I think two of the Rifles you have mentioned prices on are more than likely the Model 700 VCR (Tactical Long Range) Rifles not the VTR model - OR - the stores mistakenly put the VCR prices on them (which by the way I have been seeing for $1,090.00 on average).
OR, maybe you misread the price tags?
$1,765.00 and $1,999.99 prices (like you mentioned) for the VTR Model are $1,065.00 and $1,299.99 more respectively, than I have seen them priced anywhere!
I have seen the VTR's at probably 15 different stores (including several "big box stores") and the highest price I have seen is $700.00.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Makes more sense now :D

I don't blame you, I wouldn't keep a varmint gun if all I could agg is .85". Heck, if you're only going to get .85", get an AR :D

I've got four Remington rifles at the moment, two .204 Varmints (one VLS and one SPSV that will be getting the bolt opened up and a Sako extractor installed and a Krieger .308 bbl), a 6mmAI with a Shilen, and a stainless .25-06 that will soon wear a Shilen and be chambered in .280 Improved.

I like custom bbls, too! My VLS with factory bbl is probably my best shooting rifle, though! I average .3s with it with just a trigger, bed, and float job. Oddly, it has very little head-space or free-bore. I think thats the secret to getting them to shoot.

CPTTango30: I think two of the Rifles you have mentioned prices on are more than likely the Model 700 VCR (Tactical Long Range) Rifles not the VTR model - OR - the stores mistakenly put the VCR prices on them (which by the way I have been seeing for $1,090.00 on average).
OR, maybe you misread the price tags?
$1,765.00 and $1,999.99 prices (like you mentioned) for the VTR Model are $1,065.00 and $1,299.99 more respectively, than I have seen them priced anywhere!
I have seen the VTR's at probably 15 different stores (including several "big box stores") and the highest price I have seen is $700.00.

Nope I handeled all three. 700 VTR on the side. The one store that had one for $1765 wants $750 for a glock and $1100 for a Kimber Custom II (Basic model form Kimber sold elseware for $700 to $800).

$1999 was from Gander Mtn They also want $1999 for a Win model 94 (Used) in 30-30. Seen a Mosin in there for $350 because it had a scope (Simmons) and it was a sniper rifle. Also have Rem m700 VLS for $999 3 years ago I paid $550 for the VLS. The M1a SOCOM they wat $2400 for it. I am waiting for the going out of business sale at Gander. I just go in there to look anymore. I can go to the small shop and they will order me what ever I want at 10% mark-up. Not bad where I am at.

The Place that had the $765 price tag was right there on all their guns. Glock $450 to $650 Remington sps for $450. So they are right on.

Plus the VCR has a good stock not that cheap chinese plastic like the VTR. That and the look nothing alike at all other than they are a Remington 700.

CPTTango30: I think you would be well off not to even give that particular gunshop the time of day - much less your presence!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My neighbor bought one and I worked up loads for it.....

in 308. All I did to the gun was a trigger job. The barrel cools faster than any rifle I have ever shot...what a shock!

Accuracy was less than an inch and we did not really try to get it down to the nitty gritty...he was extremely happy with an inch. My neighbor has no patience for striving for extreme accuracy, especially since he put a Chineese 6-20 Tasco on the rifle.

Jeez............

Back