Remington bolt knob removale. Mill or lathe?

skeetlee

What's your fellas prepared method to replace a remington bolt knob. The mill or the lathe? I am going to make or purchase a jig and the required tooling here pretty quick. Thanks fellas. Lee

Skeet,

I've done one in my manual mill...time consuming and not fun. Buy or build a fixture for the lathe.

Justin

With out a shoulder for the Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat knob to butt up against the handle will break at the threads.

Adding weight to the handle is the worst option.

I have the ptg fixture for the lathe. Works like a champ. If you just got a few knobs you can borrow mine

Skeet,

Now that I think about it, the smart thing to do would be to send it to Dan and have him Tig weld the bolt handle of your choosing on. Your bolt would be timed correctly, to boot.

Justin

Ok dan i gotta ask.
Are you saying hanging a weight(knob) on the threaded
shaft allows the v of the thread to be a "flaw" and split ?
and that with a tension on the thread caused by butting up
against a shoulder,you do not get the failure ??
i know you are a bolt guy but i am lost on this one.

CMaier,

I think he's talking about the flat/shoulder of the bolt handle butting up against the flat of the bolt knob when it is screwed into place. This would add strength to the bolt handle/bolt knob junction vs. a bolt handle with no shoulder for the knob to butt-up to, as if the knob was screwed on to a threaded rod.

Justin

I was just going to go ahead and make or buy a fixture for my shop. This way I can offer this service if someone wants it. I'm not sure I'll change my bolt handle on my personal actions or not? I really like the knob Surgeon used on there srs action they used to make. I haven't seen anyone offering that style yet. I could make it, but it isn't a high priority.
I was just curious as to what machine you fellas like best for this particular tast. Lee

you might call EGW.
when they set up to do them, they send out flyers and emails and
do a bunch at one time...i think a lathe setup.

I use a jig on a lathe. I have one for Savage handles and one for Remington bolts or others with a fixed handle. I make the knobs fit the tenon for a smooth look. If you need more info, drop me a line here or at chuck at ridgewaybodies dot com. Some samples of mine....

Savage:
IMAG2356.jpg

IMAG2439.jpg

Remington:
picsay-1434145364.jpg.jpg

dusty
the surgeon SRS action was there base round action with no rail or lug. they don't make them anymore. Anyway the knob on that ation was long and sleek. looked great I thought. Ill try and find a pic. Lee

Last edited:
That second pic chuck posted is the surgeon knob they sell in brownells

Dusty...the knobs that I posted were made by myself from a 6061. I machine a bunch of blanks from 3/4" round stock(sometimes 1" depending on what somebody wants) and make a custom know the same time I machine and thread a handle. The back side of all my tenons are tapered about 13° and continue to the knob.

picsay-1447294693.jpg.jpg

picsay-1447294745.jpg.jpg

I use the lathe and a fixture made for threading handles.
Here's a pic of one I did on a Thompson Icon.

Attachments

• 2012-06-20_13-00-58_125.jpg
    2012-06-20_13-00-58_125.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 2012-06-20_11-44-38_488.jpg
    2012-06-20_11-44-38_488.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 234
Back