Remington bolt knob removale. Mill or lathe?

I started threading handles for my tactical minded customers and long range hunters were wanting them too.
It seems like they always want a badger ordnance knob but I don't like buying that stuff just to have in stock so I made some.
The one on the left has all the same dimensions as badgers knob except the contour is different, mine has a straight taper instead of the rounded contour like the badger. The one on the right is a scaled down version I'm thinking about making more of maybe even smaller in diameter than the one shown. These are both in Armor black Cerakote ready to install.

Attachments

• _20151111_224035.jpg
    _20151111_224035.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 217
Ok dan i gotta ask.
Are you saying hanging a weight(knob) on the threaded
shaft allows the v of the thread to be a "flaw" and split ?
and that with a tension on the thread caused by butting up
against a shoulder,you do not get the failure ??
i know you are a bolt guy but i am lost on this one.
CMaier-
Basically,YES.

The TactiKool crowd crave the Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Knob option,stating it is easier to manipulate the bolt w/ gloves on-
B.S.-two fingers is all that's required to manipulate a bolt.

Adding length/weight(arm/moment) to the bolt handle will induce more vibration/harmonics into the handles attachment point & silver braze DOES NOT take kindly to vibration &/or harmonics.

DSM-Chuck- has the idea.
Rubicon Prec- Epoxied knobs will not remedy the design flaw.

Dusty-Don't start rumors, as I dislike the option.

I cut off the knob w/ a jewelers slitting saw in mill,pilot a set screw in lathe & attach by TIG welding w/ a shoulder turned & blended.
Delrin was my knob of choice on my XTC rifles.

Last edited:
CMaier-
Basically,YES.

The TactiKool crowd crave the Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Knob option,stating it is easier to manipulate the bolt w/ gloves on-
B.S.-two fingers is all that's required to manipulate a bolt.

I know this is not the site for this so I will limit my response to this. While it may only take two fingers to manipulate a bolt, if you are shooting multiple targets fast, you grab the bolt knob like grabbing second gear at 7000 RPM. I am sure there are plenty of fast people using an OEM knob but a larger knob is certainly easier for this type of shooting.

Rubicon Prec- Epoxied knobs will not remedy the design flaw.

I feel my method of moving the stress riser from the root of the thread further from the shoulder is a far better method than any of the other threaded versions I have seen. I have full confidence the handle will break off the bolt body before the handle breaks at the threaded joint.

If by design flaw, you mean the soldered handle to the bolt body, I agree. I prefer monolithic bolt bodies/handles for my personal builds.

I am curious though since I am not an engineer, will a longer, heavier knob really induce more vibration/harmonics? I am sure the heavier weight would slow down the harmonic frequency (if that is such a thing?) but I suppose it could travel further. Either way, I have never personally seen one fail during the firing cycle. I know you attach far more than I ever will so I am sure you have heard every type of failure.

you are talking amplitude and frequency.
the heavy knob will reduce frequency,
but increase amplitude( if i recall correctly),
not good.

Rubicon Prec-
Negative-the handle will break before the handle comes off the bolt body.
Not to mention the inclusions & voids in the cast OEM Rem handles-

LOCATE & TIME the bolt handle correctly(w/o SCREWS or PINS) w/a properly TIMED trigger to sear "Hand-Off" & two fingers is sufficient to cycle the bolt.

Process several hundred bolts/handles on a yearly basis for 25+ years & you will be well informed what works & what doesn't.

Gents,

In re: aftermarket bolt knobs, they do have their place on an actual tactical/sniper rifle.

For starters, with some of the "tactical" stocks, they get a bit thick through the bolt handle area, and not a whole lot of bolt is left sticking out to get a grasp on (go look at a Remington PSS). The extended bolt knob gives a bit more bolt to work with. You can still work them with two fingers...you've just increased your margin for error. And on a true tactical rifle, if you are working your bolt, things have gone bad-wrong and you've already sent 1 round down range. And in a stressful situation such as a shootout, we tend to lose our fine motor skills and your chances of getting the bolt cycled and a round in the chamber are better with the longer bolt handle. This loss of motor skills in high-stress situations is why you're seeing a move away from dropping the slide on a semi-auto pistol using the thumb and a slide release during a re-load, to using the support hand to grab the slide, pulling it to the rear, and releasing it.

Note I said extended. I don't see a reason for the knob to be the diameter of a pumpkin.

They can be ugly, yes. But so are tactical rifles. If you put one on a Bob Owen Springfield sporter, you should be burnt at the stake.

I looked at my Panda last night and noted that the bolt handle was fairly long. Certainly longer than the bolt on a 700.

Again, I think the best idea is to send it to Dan and have him weld on a longer bolt handle.

My thoughts from actually having been a long rifle on a SWAT team...and having stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Justin

It does look like it. I first saw a muzzle brake bolt knob down in NC on a benchrest rifle, I thought it looked cool. Had some fellar show up at my house one day said he thought about a muzzle brake and gave up the idea but wanted a big bolt knob on his rifle. That's when I ordered a few brakes from you and needed one of them threaded 5/16x24tpi.
I wouldn't mind having one on a rifle but not one as big as the pic. He sure likes it.

It does look like it. I first saw a muzzle brake bolt knob down in NC on a benchrest rifle, I thought it looked cool. Had some fellar show up at my house one day said he thought about a muzzle brake and gave up the idea but wanted a big bolt knob on his rifle. That's when I ordered a few brakes from you and needed one of them threaded 5/16x24tpi.
I wouldn't mind having one on a rifle but not one as big as the pic. He sure likes it.

j, I can make any diameter that u would want.

bolt knob

dusty
the surgeon SRS action was there base round action with no rail or lug. they don't make them anymore. Anyway the knob on that ation was long and sleek. looked great I thought. Ill try and find a pic. Lee

SKEET, I have a ptg gen 2 bolt fixture that I used 2 times. I will sell it to u for $150, if u r still looking for one

Back