!&$#.... Remington arms...

dennisinaz

:mad:

I went to put a rifle back together today that I had finished painting and for some reason could not find the recoil lug anywhere (long action 700) All I had was a Tubb style. I had already headspaced the chamber with the factory lug that had been ground flat. I did not want to use a different style lug as I would have to put the barrel back in the lathe and this would mess up my coating.

I called Remington to buy a few lugs. The first CS person hung up on me because I insisted that there really was a part called a recoil lug even they didn't list it. I called back and got a lady. She had no idea what I was talking about either. She finally put me on hold and when she came back she said I had to send my rifle in and they would install it! Wow, a recoil lug!

Can't believe they would have someone working the parts department that doesn't seem to know much about guns!!

I guess they are not available except in aftermarket form! Wish I hadn't of lost this one...

dennis e-mail me or p.m. me and i'll send you a couple,think they are matte,unaltered,about 188 thick ,terry

midway also sells them,but think they may be aftermarket

Doesn't Brownells have Rem recoil lugs?

They are not made by Remington. I don't know if they are the same or not. I want them to be the same thickness and also fit the Kleinendorst tool that locates the lug so I don't have to pin them. I guess I could order one and see if they are the same or not. They are also Stainless I believe. I needed a blued or CM one for this rifle.

if the above does not work, i have one off my 700.....blued
mike in co

Thanks for the offers. I have a couple coming. I just have to shake my head at RA reluctance to sell a little stamped piece of steel!!

Barrel Bracket

It's called a Barrel Bracket, Remington part no. F14810. It is not a restricted part and is available from Brownell's (in the parts section of their catalog), stock #767-000-111AE. Stainless is also available.

I have ordered all of my Remington parts (and other brands as well) from Brownells since they started carrying them several years ago. They seem to be genuine in every respect and I have never had a need to return any of them.

You should not be surprised at the customer service you received. After all, Remington is not really Remington anymore, but a tiny part of some multi-national corporation. If it's not on the computer, a service rep would have no way of knowing what you are talking about.

But, you probably got good service from them when compared to something like Social Security. Try calling their 800 number and asking a question about SS.

Ray

i called Rem to get a price for a replacement bolt for a new in the box SST 700 action. For Rem to give me a price on the bolt I had to send the action back to them. The price was EXCESSIVE! And it took Rem over 6 weeks to give me the price after I had send the action to them.

I fitted a PTG bolt and sold the action. I ordered a Stiller Predator action as a replacement. MUCH BETTER! The Stiller was out of the box perfect. I plan to replace all my 40X and 700 actions with Stiller actions in the near future.

There is a major reason large companies as Remington don't sell all the little things they once did...

It is all about liability and how quick the public is ready to sue... they may not have a case but it still costs the big companies a lot of money.

I am glad to find out that I'm not the only one that can lose a part but I can do it without moving out of my tracks. Can you do that? :)

If you had only called me! I have several extra that I've accumulated over the years. I'd have given you one and paid the postage to get it to you.

Thanks, Mickey, I got a couple from Terry. I also ordered some from Numerich so I could have some of different thicknesses for headspacing reasons. I lose stuff all the time, that is why I put each gun in its own big zip loc bag. This lug must have been able to pass through plastic, molecule by molecule!

I just checked and neither of the new ones will slip into the bedding of the rifle I robbed. Looks like I will have to hog it out with an end mill and re-bed after all!

Dennis,

After I bed, I go back into the recoil lug mortise with and end mill and relieve the front and both sides so as to avoid any binding issues. If you do that, and your replacement lug is flat, you may not need to re-bed. Could check it with some Prussian Blue. If the back of the lug isn't fully bearing against the lug mortise, a "paint coat" should fix it. Maybe a bit easier...

Speaking of Remington lugs, I just measured a couple of them that I have laying around. Both held about a tenth, thickness wise. I think from now on, I'll do some measuring before automatically replacing them with an aftermarket lug.

Justin

Mine were not that good- averaging about 2-3 tenths. The two lugs I checked were about .185 and .188" respectively; quite a difference between them. I flatten them on a ground and diamond impregnated lapping plate to knock off any burrs etc. If you want them really flat, I guess you have to surface grind them. Not sure how thin you can get them and not have problems but I wouldn't want to go much thinner on a rifle with much recoil.

I've measured at least a hundred Remington recoil lugs with a caliper and have never found one to be over .001 out and you can easily squeeze .001 difference with a caliper if you're not careful. If people want to use an aftermarket lug for their own peace of mind then they should do it but don't try, with a straight face, to sell the idea that they make a difference in accuracy.

I've measured at least a hundred Remington recoil lugs with a caliper and have never found one to be over .001 out and you can easily squeeze .001 difference with a caliper if you're not careful. If people want to use an aftermarket lug for their own peace of mind then they should do it but don't try, with a straight face, to sell the idea that they make a difference in accuracy.

I couldn't agree more... I have been saying that for a long time... aftermarket lugs are for looks and the huge ones 3/8 of an inch thick are ridiculous...

Back