Remington action screws...deep socket head

E

eww1350

Where can I find deep socket (flat head) s/s screws in 1/4x28 to use on Remington actions?..I saw some of these screws on a Bob Green built rifle...the allen wrench hole was twice as deep as the factory Remington socket head screws...any ideas.??

Eddie in Texas

Where can I find deep socket (flat head) s/s screws in 1/4x28 to use on Remington actions?..I saw some of these screws on a Bob Green built rifle...the allen wrench hole was twice as deep as the factory Remington socket head screws...any ideas.??

Eddie in Texas

if the allen wrench was small than the standard 3/16", I suspect he was using shallow headed cap screws. They use a small hex key, and a lot of times are much deeper than a standard cap screw. But on the otherhand about twenty five years ago most of the better screw manufacturers went to a shallower hex to strength the bolt head. Think Unbrako was the last (or maybe Allen brand). It's also possible the guy started out with a grade eight hex bolt and made his own by turning the head round and drill the hex for the key. I've done that with tall head cap screws from Karr
gary

The screws I have seen are not from ACE hardware or from my local specialty fastener business...I had heard that Bob Green made these from some type of parent screw...but I cannot find a vendor that has any knowledge of such..?

Eddie in Texas

Eddie

I make my own screws but I start with those from Ace Hardware. They sell both SS and plain steel in various lengths. Chuck one in a lathe and shape the head to whatever floats your boat.

If you think Bob Green uses something else, why not ask him?

Ray

Try Chad Dixon at Longrifles Inc, I heard he makes the best!

Thanks guys....the screws from BAT are the ones I am looking for...

Eddie in Texas

Why!?

When one considers how well Torx Head screws perform, WHY hasn't there been a broader acceptance for them? I guess this is to ask, Why are there still Allen Headed screws on the market?

To drive ya to the Jack Daniels Bottle, when none of 3700 allen wrenches you currently have in your tool box fit. They ain't Metric , British,or SAE, they be Chinallen!!!

Back