Remington Action Cheap

J

Jdaniel343

Our local Sportsman Warehouse has Remington 700 with a scope for $379.
I can't buy a 700 action for that price.
Am I missing something here.
The actions on these guns have a rough surface appearance. I figured a little polishing and truing and I could end up with a nice action for a custom gun.
Any thoughts. I would probably sell the barrel, stock and scope to recoup some of the cost.
Thanks

I was in an Academy the other day and they have the plain jane matte black .243, 308, and 30-06 in that black sythetic stock for under $350. Most of the actions that are sold as a separate piece are generally the shiny polished finish with a jewled bolt.........jackie

I was wondering if anyone had done a rebarrel or truing on one of the cheaper 700's ?
The few that I have handled were not aesthetically pleasing and the bolt operated with a rough sound, like sliding two pieces of sandpaper against each other.
I believe this is the action you see for sale from Midway and other dealers.

kansasvet,
I have trued and rebarreled a few of the actions you spoke of. I think they call them the 700 SPS. As far as the action goes, They true up just like any other 700 no better no worse. And they shoot just as well as any other 700 action does. Just that the BDL actions have a nice shiny blue job on them and the bolt cycles smoother. I'm not sure what they coat the SPS with. Maybe parkerized or something like it. But they do look rough. I just finished one today. They do look pretty good if you do one with a bead blasted fluted stainless barrel. Alot of deer hunters like the nonreflective finish. And best of all the price is right. Boe

Last edited:
This is pretty much the time of year for buying donor guns. Walmart is the usual suspect 'round here. Dick's, Bass Pro, and Cabela's will also turn out a few priced like this.

The Remingtons are finished with a phosphate looking finish, probably died parkerizing.

Organ donors

I've bought three Remington 700 ADL rifles at discount places and blue printed a .223 (after 5000 rounds) and turned it into a 6mm BR that I'm quite happy with it. I also bought a .308 and borescoped it and was surprised at how good it looked so I shot it and it shoots great so I've been shooting it for F-Class F/TR for the immediate future. The third one is a .243 and that barrel is going to go sooner rather than later. Like others have said the price is right and sometimes you may get a bonus. - nhk

Back in the late 90's, I probably trued 4 or 5 of those cheap matte black actions, they ran just as true as any other Remington out of the box.

There is no difference in the quality of the machine work on any Remington, the only real difference is cosmetic........jackie

you can buy a new over sized bolt from ptg ream out the action better then new

Online purchases

Anyone know of a place online that will sell one of these cheap rifles mail order.

Most places will ship to your local FFL after they have the FFL's paperwork on file. You end up paying about a $25 fee for the service. - nhk

I've got the FFL.
The stocks that I have available to me need bottom metal so I'm going to end up buying something from a distributer so I can get a donor rifle with bottom metal.
I can do it that way for less than buying the $400.00 rifle + shipping & then buying bottom metal from Brownells.
The $350.00 deal was for a limited time only anyway, and the stores that carry the buy big and sell cheap deals aren't accustomed to selling to dealers and packing & shipping something that is normally cash and carry merchandise.
There was a store that was willing to do it but I missed the sale.

Last edited:
Jay,our local gander mt. Here in pa. Will sell to ffl. Dealers.adl with scope for,ithink i paid $389 or so.cheapest way i found for a donor action..by the way,how did that alum.brake i made for u work out? I am courous to find out.thanks----john

Jay,our local gander mt. Here in pa. Will sell to ffl. Dealers.adl with scope for,ithink i paid $389 or so.cheapest way i found for a donor action..by the way,how did that alum.brake i made for u work out? I am courous to find out.thanks----john

I haven't used it yet. I set back a used barrel & took it to the nationals instead so the brake is still sitting here. I will be doing a barrel for a friend some time soon so I will probably get in touch with you for another one but with a smaller thread. I'll let you know when the time comes.

Back