Remington 700 From Custom Shop

Rustystud

Tonight I tore down a Remington 700 from Remington's custom shop. This was a 308, 5R, Milspec. The customer could not get this rifle to group under 1.5" at 100 yards. The bore and crown looked fine except for a scratch about 6 inches down the bore from the muzzle.. The stock was a HS precision and the trigger was a Jewell. The bolt lugs did not have bilateral engagement. One lug was out as much as .020. The customer wanted me to rebarrel it with a custom barrel. It will be a 26", Broughton, 5C 1:10.

I'll keep you posted

Rustystud

Last edited:
Here is photo of an action from a new Remington 700 PSS. The customer said that it wouldn't shoot and wanted it re-barreled. If you look the action, the face is not so square and is pretty rough. The locking lugs look pretty rough and the threads are shot. The second photo is his barrel on the right and a take off barrel from a new 700 ADL on the left. The ADL is in the shop to be re-worked into a 30X47 HBR rig, I had removed that barrel earlier in the day and included it for comparison. The faces of the recoil lug from the PSS were rough, and not flat. I think that the rust is from the bluing salts entering the threads via the poor fit of the parts and not cooked out during the hot rinse step of the original bluing. This is the worst I've seen from a new rifle and to think that it is a PSS and what they were meant for.

Nic.

Rem700.jpg

TakeOffBarrels1.jpg

Remington's QC seems to be pretty variable, based on Nic's post w/photos. The SA 700 bare actions I bought from Midway a year or more ago were pretty straight, and hardly needed truing. The polishing & bluing were also good. You never know how far out they are until after you've taken the time & trouble to dial one in though - and once I've gone that far, I always go ahead and finish the job.

I've got mixed feelings about truing a 700 - one of the three I've done for myself is a hammer at 1000yds.; it's a long action with an oversized PTG bolt that fits very well. The other two are short actions and are good shooters, but at the same time, I have no regrets after investing in a couple of BAT 3L actions which will eventually replace the two short 700s.

I thought the Remington 5R varmint was not made by custom shop... just an outside catalog item.

Also, the Remington Police (PSS) is not blued, but Parkerized. Not custom shop too.

I just returned a 700sps to the wholesaler this week. The bearing surfaces on the bolts lugs were attacked with a file or grinder!!@!! Not sure witch but they were bevelled at an angle to the bolt and had less than 5% contact! yes five% . I checked headspace and it closed on the nogo. Not a big suprise.

If I were to print the action I would have had to take off over .035" to get them square again, and most likly the bolt handle would have to be altered/moved.

Can't believe Rem would send this Sh1t out.

Rustystud,
Sounds too tactical to me!!!
What color is the action,stock & scope painted!!!!
What is the serial # prefix letter & barrel code out of curiosity??
Someone's not telling the whole story behind that build that turned out terrible to say the least.
I'd bet a so called tactical 'smith/armorer at one time or another has had something to do with that 700 5R that you tore down.
Did you verify with a bore scope that the Bbl is in fact a 5R
There are several pieces to the equation that aren't/weren't installed from the custom shop in upstate New York at the intersection of Rt 51 & main street in Ilion,N.Y.

Last edited:
Remington 700 Mil Spec

Dan:

This rifle comes with a HS Precision stock, it has all the factory markings just with "5R" barrel the riflings looks dome shape. I have no reason to beleive this rifle has been altered in any way.

Just poor quality control and poor workmanship. Very typical these days.

Remington charges a premium for these guns and they should be right when they go out the door.

Rustystud

Curiosity-
Custom Shop actions will not have a prefix/suffix letter in the serial number.
What is the serial number prefix letter??
Current 700's are up to a G letter prefix(haven't seen an H yet).
What is the barrel code letters on the LH side @ 9o'clock just fwd of the receiver-aft of caliber designation??
First Barrel code letter is month of manufacture-
BLACKPOWDERX
Jan-B
Feb-L
Mar-A
Apr-C
May-K
Jun-P
Jul-O
Aug-W
Sep-D
Oct-E
Nov-R
Dec-X
Second barrel code letter from past few years should be
2004-Z,
2005-A,
2006-B,
2007-C,
2008-D.

Remington 700

Dan:

For what it is worth the serial number begins with a "S".

The barrel has Remingtons standard markings and caliber.

Beyond the standard markings are stamped "AH" found on the left side.

On the right side is the "REP" inside a circle. standard Proof mark.

To the right/in front of the proof mark is the letter "H" stamped.

Below the proof mark is a "J" inside a triangle.

The trigger is definately a Jewel.

The bore inspection reveals a convex rounded rifling.

The stock is for sure a HS Precision.

Rustystud

There's something fishy to say the least.
S prefix serial #
Of the 20+ Rem Custom Shop guns that I have from thirty years ago to the present,I haven't seen a custom shop gun with a prefix serial #.

Barrel code of AH is suspect also.
A-March month manufacture
H- 1987 year manufacture??????????

Enclosed is a MS Word doc of Rem Barrel Code Dates of Manufacture from 1921 to present.

Tolerances

Everybody knows that Remingtons,esspecially the later ones, leave a lot to be desired as far as the criticle areas being truly straight with each other.
But .020 inch difference in lugg engagement. You would have to go out of your way to machine something that bad.
Did you mean .002.??........jackie

Two weeks ago I pulled a new 700 apart... it was one of the best factory 700's I have seen... lugs and recesses required nothing, the action face required only 1/2 thou off... the threads quite close...

From one extreme to the other....

Well Nate I got one like yours too. Serial number starts with the letter C and I know it was never messed with as I got it derect from the wholeseller and it never left me. Also has a HS stock but a Rem trigger.

C prefix serial numbered 700's hit the market in the mid 80's if memory serves me correctly.

Curiosity;
Has anybody indicated one of the 700Ti actions.

Maybe I don't want to spin the Bbl off of one of the Titanium actions.

I believe all of Remingtons stainless steel action's serial numbers start with a letter S. All of mine do.

Al

In my somewhat limited experience with Remington I have found their service work done by the custom shop in Ilion to be nothing short of exceptional. I would strongly encourage that you get in touch with the guys in the custom shop and tell them of the problems with that rifle. They have never failed to help me. Give them a try. They may have made an error, but will always make it right. Peter.

Remington 700 shoots now..

After reworking the bolt lugs, action and re-barreling this Remington 700, this rifles first recorded group was .0924. The 26' Broughton, 1:10, 5C really did well.
Rustystud:)

Back