reduced tuner

Gene Beggs has made them for years used on CF rifles. I have a pair that I haven't gotten around to trying. I bought them when I bought his wind probe.

How was your "Barn" experience? I was there last year and shot my lowest ARA scores on 2 well tuned outdoor rifles. We shot 8 targets and that was too much. 12 hours on Sat. breathing wood smoke gave Rita and I huge headaches.

Al Kunard

Al Kunard

This was my first ARA event with a new rifle and barrel that had not been tuned well. My average score for 6 targets was 2120.8, That put me in the middle of the pack somewhere I think.

It is an interesting place to shoot with all the variables there. I noticed when I shot in the barn on the left that there appeard to be a thurmal loupe occuring right in fornt of the benches with cool air falling there as there is a wall above the benches there. My scores over there weren't a lot different over there however.

In my opinion, the ambient temp has more to do with scores than the conditions. There was a big swing in the ambient, morning through the night and it was a lot colder yesterday morning. My worst score of the event was my first target yesterday morning and it was chilly.

In my opinion, Rimfire rifles go in and out of tune with the Ambient the same way CF rifles do and mebby at a smaller increments. The problems comes in figuring all of that out but it may be possible to do. Just a matter of burning the ammo to do it.

I didn't stick around to protest any of the targets but there were several that I thought should have gone. I wasn't in contention so I didn't have any of them looked at. Someday I'll plug them to see. The Worst Edge scoring is a tough deal, no doubt .Of course, all one has to do is to learn to shoot better, eh?

Last edited:
Fred,

They scanned the targets and I guess, yes, it was electronic. They did plug some of them after they were scanned. Makes for a faster way to score, for sure.

Pete, thats the idea of a light tuner, one that is less than 4.8oz swings in tempeture do not affect as much because 10-15 clicks you are tuned. tuning downwards where 5.0oz or more results in 5 or so clicks and your out of tune, that's another reason one out of 8 tested ammo lots proves accurate enough, anytime total weight is over 5.0oz and increases in weight that window of tuning narrows, doesn't mean at 12oz a rifle can't be a killer just means the windows almost closed. marty

Pete:
I've witnessed this scoring method several times, in both large and small matches. Very few protests were ever reversed. Not only is it faster, but more accurate. What I like about, is the personality of a scoring team is out of the equation. The negative, is the average club can not afford the large flat bed scanner this system requires. As for you scores, not bad for the first time in the barn.

Pete, that was a great score for the Barn. Last year my high target was 2100, which would be a low target outside. I have a stock Suhl 150 with 19:1 twist, piller bedded in a Stith stock. In some conditions it shoots killer and I sure want to tune it in the barn. Yes, I know, Bill Calfee would say I don't have my barrel stopped. The more I shoot the less I know.

You did good,

Al Kunard

only two were reversed ,but one was 4 a 2450,that was a good decision

Back