Redding seater questions

M

matt wolf

After chasing my tail for a while, it looks like my Redding Competition seater might be the culprit for the .005 runnout I'm finding in my .308 rounds. Fired necks have about .001, and don't change during sizing, but I'm getting .005 on loaded rounds. I've checked w/ a couple of different presses, and get the same readings. Given that the necks have .001, does that automatically translate to .005 when measured on the bullet, or is the die bad? If the die is the culprit, is there anything I can do to correct the die, or do I need to replace it?

Matt

I had a similar situation on my 6PPC Wilson seater.
I requested a new seater stem to the dimension i wanted and sent the money requested. I now have a seater within .0005"
Still have a little run out but much better.
Try calling Redding and see if they will sell you a new seater pin to your dimension.
Centerfire :)

seater problem

i think matt is having issues with his seater which i don't think has a bushing in it,i think you are giving instructions for a sizer with a bushing

Last edited:
Matt,
You said your necks are running .001 total indicator run out to the case body.
If you have not turned the necks, then you might have some necks that .002 or even .003 thicker on one side. Now measuring total run out of the bullet to the case body you might get .004 runout. Also the neck thickness and variation is great at the base of the neck so the bullet might be tilted some and yield .005 total run out.

Thanks for your thoughts gents. Cases have been sorted for neck thickness consistency. Necks in question have been consistent to within 0.0015 or less. The seater plug fit the bullets in question nicely, and I don't think it's cracked, but will check it again. I'm going to try a friend's Neco gauge to see if I get the same readings as w/ my casemaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these neck turned cases?

Try a rubber 'o' ring between the die and the press and see if that improves the runout. Also make sure the bullet isn't bottoming out in the seating stem.

edit: Matt was answering my question the same time I was posting it. :D

Last edited:
Matt
When you use the Neco gage put the tip of the bullet into the cone.It looks like a step drill.Rest one of the vee blocks near the casehead but not all the way back or on the rim.
Loosen up the indicator holder and press the tip against the bullet so you get the needle to move around 0.015 and tighten it down.You can now spin the dials face so it reads 0.000 and your all set.
Lynn

Edit: I forgot this.If you use two vee blocks and let the bullet float in space the vee blocks will tend to dig into the brass from your cases.

Last edited:
Took delivery of a Forster seater. Runnout is gone. Now to figure out what the problem is w/ the Redding!

Back