Redding Body Die Question

K

kdvarmint

Reloading for factory savage. Only been neck sizing and they are getting tight in chamber. Got these body dies and am wondering if I need to neck size first or use the body die first then neck size.:confused:

hmmmmm
i think i would
body size
neck size
trim to length
deburr

That's how I'm doin it unless I hear a reason to do it different.

If what you are doing is working, then keep on doin' it.

For some cartridges, the body die will squeeze the body enough to cause the shoulder to squish forward a little making it difficult to chamber the cartridge. Then you'll need a bump die too. It sometimes takes a real balancing act to get the three dies working together. Maybe we need a study and some tests to determine the best way?:cool:

Ray

I spent about a half hour trying to determine how far I was setting the shoulder back when using the Body die the other day. It's no wonder I coulden't figure it out . It's not moving.

Reloading for factory savage. Only been neck sizing and they are getting tight in chamber. Got these body dies and am wondering if I need to neck size first or use the body die first then neck size.:confused:

My suggestion is to use a Redding 'Type S' f.l. bushing die. One pass and you size the neck, f.l. size the body, bump the shoulder back and decap. Plus, you'll have more flexibility in tuning by being able to change neck tension with different bushings.

Good shootin'. -Al

kdvarmint .......

I use a FL die on all rifle handloads, because I like to resize the neck, bump the shoulder, and uniform the tapered body while the case is fully supported. This is easily done with one die (and in one operation) if you can accurately set the die height for your particular chamber. Look into the Digital Headspace Gauge. That helps adjust your die height within a thousandth of an inch, and it doesn't require special bushings or attachments.

Since you are using Redding.............

dies, you might find their Competition shellholder sets to be a useful addition to your equipment.
One of the techs there can help you with set-up, sometimes instructions may be a little vague.

The body die from Redding can also push the shoudler back - woirks great. I use the tools from Hornady to get both the seating depth and the distance to the shoulder.

Great die!!!

George

kdvarmint .......

I use a FL die on all rifle handloads, because I like to resize the neck, bump the shoulder, and uniform the tapered body while the case is fully supported. This is easily done with one die (and in one operation) if you can accurately set the die height for your particular chamber. Look into the Digital Headspace Gauge. That helps adjust your die height within a thousandth of an inch, and it doesn't require special bushings or attachments.

I notice that Innovative Technologies makes a digital headspace gauge which looks like it just might work. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

I've provided the URL since you didn't in your post. Thank you Mr. Google. :)

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Al I've gone to FL sizing nearly all my rifle loads with Redding bushing FL dies, even for factory chambers. Unless a chamber is terribly oversized case life won't be reduced if the die is properly adjusted. Get a bump gauge and measure fired cases then bump the shoulder back 0.002".

I've got some body dies and although they work (sort of in my experience) buying a Redding bushing FL die solves all the problems at once. You size the body so that the cases will easily chamber, and the necks just the amount that's needed. There's nothing more fun than trying to chamber a too tight case, especially when your out in the field without a rod to knock the stuck round out of the chamber.

Accuracy won't be decreased in my experience either, in fact it might improve.

Pay attention to Al and Larry. The Redding "S" type full length die with the proper bushing is the answer. If you like, you may send Redding three brass fired in your chamber and presto, you have a perfect custom die for your rifle.

Virg

I prefer to use "Full length" Redding S-Type (bushing) dies whenever possible. Try using the Digital Headspace Gauge to adjust the height of your FL die (withing a thousandth of an inch), and presto -ALL of your FL dies fit your chambers like custom sizing dies.

I prefer to use "Full length" Redding S-Type (bushing) dies whenever possible. Try using the Digital Headspace Gauge to adjust the height of your FL die (withing a thousandth of an inch), and presto -ALL of your FL dies fit your chambers like custom sizing dies.

I've got one on order something I didn't mention in my earlier post. One writer suggests measuring a case but I've never figured out how to do that. Your Digital Headspace Gauge looks like it might be the solution to bumping the shoulder .001 or .002 with a regular Redding FL die or an Type-S die. I have both and am looking forward to trying your gauge. From your write up on your web site it looks like it work nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,
There are almost 2,000 shooters now using our Digital Headspace Gauge. This tool helps adjust die height to make your handloads fit YOUR particular chamber. Ease of use and consistency are the biggest advantages. It can also display the distance that your bullet jumps to the rifling. I think you'll like it.

Larry what is the end result difference in using yours and using one by Sinclair, Hornady or Harrels? Using one along with a digital caliper it seems be the same exact principle.
Just curious.

Vern ......
There definitely are other good tools out there. However, the patented "adjustable v-block" on our gauge requires no special bushings when measuring different calibers, and it provides uniform spring pressure for getting the most consistent measurements. The Digital Headspace Gauge also replaces different types of handloading tools, and it automatically rounds off to the nearest half a thousandth of an inch.

The body die from Redding can also push the shoudler back - woirks great. I use the tools from Hornady to get both the seating depth and the distance to the shoulder.

Great die!!!

George
I agree . I don't know what some others are refering too. The Rediing body die is designed to bump the shoulder . If it can't then something is not matched right . God this auto save is a nuisance .

Jerry,
There are almost 2,000 shooters now using our Digital Headspace Gauge. This tool helps adjust die height to make your handloads fit YOUR particular chamber. Ease of use and consistency are the biggest advantages. It can also display the distance that your bullet jumps to the rifling. I think you'll like it.

I definitely like it. Have sized some 6PPC and .223 and it is worth the money. Thanks for a useful tool.

For those people who feel that they must neck size and want to avoid the FL process for as long as possible, Forster make a neck/shoulder bump bushing die. You have the option of sizing the neck with or without an expander button, while bumping back the shoulder if needed. Redding bushings will not work in it as they are too short, but Forster bushings will work in Redding S dies, or at least they work in mine.........

Back