Recommendation for electronic powder scales (Mine have just died)

R

Rich K

Am after some advice on reasonably priced accurate digital scales. I had a very nice set of PACT scales but the dog pulled them off the table last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Found these on the net:
Smart Reloader iScale Digital Reloading Scale 1000 gn for $50?

Cheers, a depressed Rich.K

They will probably have to send it back to China.

If you like the PACT, send it back to PACT; they will fix it. They are in Texas and last time I looked that's America.
I have no advice or recommendation regarding the dog.

to answer your first question...if you are talking 50 bucks...go buy a lee small beam scale.

ok go read all the posts on this forum on scales.
most scales are only plus or minus 0.1...which is the same as a beam scale....but easier to read on the beam when off a little.
other than that the next step up is the mx123 or its current replacement....
no they are not cheap...but they do work.
the gem pro 250 seems to be a good deal...try it here
http://www.digitalscalesaz.com/MyWeigh-Gem-Pro-250-Digital-Scale

so decide on your "accuracy" desires/requirement, and then spend your money wisely.

( i use the mx123)

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info chaps. The Lab and I have kissed and made up!! The MX123 gets mixed reviews on 6br but like the look of the gempro. Thank you

If you decide to send them back to PACT good luck. I sent them mine that would not turn off or calibrate and they have had them for 5 1/2 monthes and all I get when I call is wow they have been here a long time . I'll see what I can do. They promised me on Monday 4 weeks ago that they would get me something sent out that week and I'm still waiting . They sure didn't have any problem cashing my check and taking my money.

I read the Accurateshooter.com article. http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/denver-instrument-mxx-123-test/ I understand the difference between measurement and checking the weight. As a side note in a measurement discussion, a beam scale, once set up can check weights just as fast as an electronic. FWIW my Lee beam scale will deflect with a single grain of H4831. Not saying it will reliably measure a single grain, but it will deflect if you balance at 50.0 grains and start dropping in single kernels of H4831. The MX123 can measure to another order of magnitude....... I mention the Lee bean because the article states
It is (the MX123 edit) more accurate and repeatable than balance-beam scales, and its measuring accuracy rivals the much-respected Prometheus powder measure.

Repeatability at the fine end of the accuracy envelope is one thing I have never tested with the old beam. And I never "check it". I have zeroed it twice in 15 years. And thats because I moved........ When I re-zeroed there was no adjustment. So if I were to use a better electronic, I could get down to single grain accuracy and repeatability over a Lee beam. Not saying that's a bad thing, it just shows how fundamentally sound and functional the Lee is.

If you decide to send them back to PACT good luck. I sent them mine that would not turn off or calibrate and they have had them for 5 1/2 monthes and all I get when I call is wow they have been here a long time . I'll see what I can do. They promised me on Monday 4 weeks ago that they would get me something sent out that week and I'm still waiting . They sure didn't have any problem cashing my check and taking my money.

been using PACT stuff for close to twenty years now (1996 I think), and have never had a problem with them or their equipment. I had one scale that lost it's brains, and the guy helped me thru it on the phone, and even called me back a couple days later to see if all was OK. I managed to clobber one of the sky screens when I got tangled up in the cables, and I had new screen in less than a week. I own four of their scales now and a dispenser (have not used it yet) and a PC2 chronograph.
gary

One of those areas

where it may be better to spend a few bucks extra, up front, and have both Quality and Accuracy. Plan on spending $250. or more and you will have a balance worth using and you will be certain what the balance tells you is accurate.

Folks I don't want to throw a bomb into this discussion, but for my money and oh so many years experience with beam scales (yuck) and electronic scales and now using a push button dispenser that does it all, I can honestly say if I had to go back to a beam I would probably go to ball powders exclusively and just throw charges. I didn't realize how many folks are still using beams, and that's ok with me, to each his own, but one of the single biggest advancement in reloading, in my view. was the electronic scales and the latest dispensers. Just a few minutes ago I was checking my electronic scale using Bart's 68 grain bullets or any bullet for that matter and my scale hit the mark every single time and it showed me in a nice large display, not sure anything else would be any more accurate. Now again this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Dave T

you did not mention what electronic scale you have...most electonic scales in the relaoding area are just plus or minus 0,1...the same as a beam and a beam will clearly show when not at zero......off less than .1...but you do not know what it is off....the mx123 will tell you.....

mike in co
Folks I don't want to throw a bomb into this discussion, but for my money and oh so many years experience with beam scales (yuck) and electronic scales and now using a push button dispenser that does it all, I can honestly say if I had to go back to a beam I would probably go to ball powders exclusively and just throw charges. I didn't realize how many folks are still using beams, and that's ok with me, to each his own, but one of the single biggest advancement in reloading, in my view. was the electronic scales and the latest dispensers. Just a few minutes ago I was checking my electronic scale using Bart's 68 grain bullets or any bullet for that matter and my scale hit the mark every single time and it showed me in a nice large display, not sure anything else would be any more accurate. Now again this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Dave T

ChargeMaster Combo ChargeMaster 1500 Scale and ChargeMaster Dispenser. I also have the dispenser from Pact but didn't find it as accurate as the RCBS. Also have the RCBS 10-10 beam scale. Please understand, my remarks are only based on my experience with scales and my perception of what is the most accurate, what works for me doesn't work the same for everyone else. I just feel the electronic scales are as accurate as trying to line up two lines on a beam scale. Also bench rest shooters throw charges, and I have never found a powder throw to be within .1. We need a post for this very topic, beam vs electronic, cause we can go on with this and it could become very interesting. Again, just my opinions I could be wrong.
Dave T

where it may be better to spend a few bucks extra, up front, and have both Quality and Accuracy. Plan on spending $250. or more and you will have a balance worth using and you will be certain what the balance tells you is accurate.

when I got my first Pact scale I took it into the lab at work and did comparitive readings with a $10K scale used as a master. The difference between the two (with the PACT not being allowed a day or two to adjust) was always about .02 to .03 of a grain. Doing the same series of checks the next tightened up the differences, and on the third day they were pretty much the same. So we then compaired it with the one that checked our mater scale, and it was slightly closer. My boss was so impressed that he bought six of the PACT scales for the guys to use out on the work floor (we machined a lot of specialized balance weights). Later I get another in a trade, and it's very close to the first one. Later I picked up a BBK, and it wasn't quite as good as the other two, but the difference was still less than one tenth of a grain. Have not checked the fourth one out, so can't comment on it. Sent my beam scale to the flea market
gary

the bottom line is you are still in the plus or minus 0.1 at the best....the mx123 is way beyond that.
if plus or minus 0.1 is good for you..then fine...but not for me....personal choices at that point.'
its not electronic vs beam...its 0.1 vs 0.02..........cause most electonics are just 0.1 same as a beam.
its only when the dollars go up that both beam and electronic get into the .0x area
thanks
mike in co
ChargeMaster Combo ChargeMaster 1500 Scale and ChargeMaster Dispenser. I also have the dispenser from Pact but didn't find it as accurate as the RCBS. Also have the RCBS 10-10 beam scale. Please understand, my remarks are only based on my experience with scales and my perception of what is the most accurate, what works for me doesn't work the same for everyone else. I just feel the electronic scales are as accurate as trying to line up two lines on a beam scale. Also bench rest shooters throw charges, and I have never found a powder throw to be within .1. We need a post for this very topic, beam vs electronic, cause we can go on with this and it could become very interesting. Again, just my opinions I could be wrong.
Dave T

francis,
i wish i could support your statement on pact, but my experience was just the oposite. my pact chrono spent more time at thier shop than with me the first year i owned it. it was a faulty product..i never shot it...and i don't think they ever fixed the problem. as soon as i could afford an oehler..i bought one and sold the pact...never looked back...one of the best days for me.

mike in co
We have had exemplary service from PACT. We had a problem with the chronograph and they didn't even ask if Paul shot it. They fixed in under 1.5 weeks for free. When Paul decided to buy the PACT digital powder dispenser, the scale needed to be altered to send and receive messages between scale and dispenser. You guessed it; they did the alteration or upgrade at no cost and in less than two weeks again. Our communications and service with Texans (Americans) has been super. This includes PACT, Butch Lambert, Arnold and Brian Jewell, Jerry Stiller and Gene Beggs not in any particular order; they are all number one. Paul has been making actions wrenches. Jerry Stiller give freely of his time when Paul called him to get measurements so much so that he gave Paul measurements on actions Paul didn't ask about. As I see it, Americans have come to the realization that service to the customer is as important as the sale. You know, it may have something to do with your tone when you call for service.

where do you find the "mixed" reviews fro the mx123 on 6br/accurateloader ???

what i saw was positive......

mike in co

As for me, I could never be absolutely sure my beam scales were exactly lined up, of course again, this is just me and personally I don't know if anyone can absolutely say oh there it is, they are absolutely positively lined up and exact. If they are only +/- .01 to begin with and if I look at the white marks and say they are lined up and someone else looks and says they are not lined up, then what is the +/- now, probably more then .01 I'd say. If the bench rest guys shoot powder by volume and get the groups they get, for my money and ease of use and absolute clearity in the charge reading I am getting, I can live with .01. I am only speaking for myself, just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dave T

it aint 0.01...its 0.1.....
not all benchrest guys throw powder..some have seen the light and have gone to lab quality electronic scales...when they can load at home or inside.
as for reading a beam ....well years and years or reading micrometers helps but the idea is real simple...put the beam scale so the alignement marks are at eye level....yep just that simple.
and if you go read the 6br article on the mx123 you will see a test of a std beam scale...
.2 plus variation.
if you do more reading on throwing powder you will see that the most popular powder in br, n133 throws at plus or minus 0.3 from the better brand of thrower.....
just think how good they could shoot if the charges were all the same!
mike in co

As for me, I could never be absolutely sure my beam scales were exactly lined up, of course again, this is just me and personally I don't know if anyone can absolutely say oh there it is, they are absolutely positively lined up and exact. If they are only +/- .01 to begin with and if I look at the white marks and say they are lined up and someone else looks and says they are not lined up, then what is the +/- now, probably more then .01 I'd say. If the bench rest guys shoot powder by volume and get the groups they get, for my money and ease of use and absolute clearity in the charge reading I am getting, I can live with .01. I am only speaking for myself, just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dave T

Last edited by a moderator:
Back