Rechamber

tinman

Can I rechamber my Ruger 77 300 win mag to a 300 RUM by just running a RUM reamer in? Assuming my ruger 77 is a safe action to bump up to a RUM...
Any info would be appreciated

If you are asking if the 'chamber will clean up' then the answer is yes. That said, however, the Ruger 77 Hawkeye is not anywhere near long enough to accommodate a RUM length cartridge. If you have the discontinued Ruger magnum rifle, it is big enough.

I was looking at the prints today and looks like it will clean up as you said. The rifle is a 15 year old Ruger 77 300 win Mag stainless 24" gun, not sure if it has an exact model number to it, I will have to look and see if I can identify it better. Just checked and its a MarK II ...

Thanks

Last edited:
If it is a Ruger Stainless Steel Barrel, beware. The stuff us as hard as a woodpeckers beak.

I trued redoing a Ruger Stainless Barrel about 5 years ago for a friend. It was one in 6PPC, he wanted it changed to 6BR. I ruined a reamer in that thing.......jackie

You have a 24 inch barrel, what do you think you are going to get by going to a RUM? You can't realize the potential of the Win Mag with a 24 inch barrel.

You have a 24 inch barrel, what do you think you are going to get by going to a RUM? You can't realize the potential of the Win Mag with a 24 inch barrel.
I already have the stuff to do it so why not? Plus im not a fan of belts, so Im just going to punch it out... Thanks

Before you punch it out, why don't you pull the barrel and see if a RUM case will fit. I promise you it won't even come close. We have never been able to make full-length (H&H) on Ruger Mark I, Mark II or Hawkeye actions without extensive modifications. A RUM is the length of an H&H and then some.

As far as the belts, they don't hurt a thing- just ignore them. Once you fire a round, you can headspace off the shoulder if that is your preference (what I do).

When you get to these big magnums, they like long barrels to work best. I am only gaining 100 fps between a 7WSM and a 7RUM. The case capacities suggest I should get 300-400 fps more. I just shot 3 different 7mms this morning. I have pushed them all as hard as I dare and the 26" barrel on the big case just isn't enough to really get the best out of it. 26" is the minimum I would ever build one on. The last 2 have been 27- 27 1/2" barrels.

You can get a 300 Winny or 300 WSM to fit but that is about it for the big 30s.

Ruger used to make a Magnum action. They came chambered in such calibers as 416 Rigby and 375 H&H. If you found one of those, you could do it. Ruger came out with their own proprietary 375 cartridge just so it would fit their action.

If you chamber it in 300 RUM, you are going to have a single shot.

Back