Reamer

I'm ordering a reamer from jgs. I got the print to review. I noticed the bore diameter referenced as 236
The blanks I'm using are 237. I started looking and all the various prints I see are shown as 236
http://bossons.awardspace.info/Reamers.htm

Does it matter?
I'm trying to stay in the camp that everything matters but I don't know on this one

I'll say up front here that I don't know ANYTHING about chambering but if you get one of those reamers where you can change the pilot bushing (think that's what it's called) you would be good to go with whatever the bore size.

Solid pilot chambering reamers are designed to fit just about any barrel made. Many 6mm barrels are .236 on the bore diameter. Solid pilot reamers are made for applications where extreme accuracy is not of paramount importance.

You really should order a reamer with a live pilot and the appropriate bushings.

It is a live pilot. I just wondered about the 236 bore and how or if it made a difference with the way the throat angle was cut on the reamer 1 degree 30 from 236 instead of 237

Last edited:
After looking at the drawing closer I guess the 1-30 angle starts from the .2433 diameter throat and will intersect the bore where ever it does

After looking at the drawing closer I guess the 1-30 angle starts from the .2433 diameter throat and will intersect the bore where ever it does

dingdingdingding we have a winner :)

you figgered it out

That said, there's probably a LENGTH dimension denoted from that 1*30 intersection at .236 which would change if the intersection diameter was .237

In your case this descriptor is meaningless IMO as your meaningful parameters are neck diameter and leade angle you don't really give a rat's patootie whether the terminator is .236 or .237

Does not really matter, a one degree thirty minute leade angle will intersect most standard br bullet ogives at the same point so that different bore diameters makes no difference................Don

Or you can get a reamer that does cut the leade and then finish up with a throating reamer after the chamber is cut.

Tim, first, on the reamer, consider what you already have. The 1045 body, and the freebore length requirements of your new bullet dies.

As to the 0.236/0.237 bore, probably 90% of today's barrel orders for to-be 6 PPC applications are 0.237".

Tim, first, on the reamer, consider what you already have. The 1045 body, and the freebore length requirements of your new bullet dies.

As to the 0.236/0.237 bore, probably 90% of today's barrel orders for to-be 6 PPC applications are 0.237".

Jerry
I'll email you a copy of the print. I just changed the neck and free bore on the standard 1045

Or you can get a reamer that does cut the leade and then finish up with a throating reamer after the chamber is cut.

I'll take a reamer that cuts the freebore I want every time over buying a reamer and then throating the barrel separately. Sure you can do it that way with a throating reamer. Lot better to have the reamer with the throat that you want built in. That way the first barrel you chamber is just like every barrel you chamber after that. Throating in a separate operation is unlikely to have every barrel theoated exactly the same.

I'll take a reamer that cuts the freebore I want every time over buying a reamer and then throating the barrel separately. Sure you can do it that way with a throating reamer. Lot better to have the reamer with the throat that you want built in. That way the first barrel you chamber is just like every barrel you chamber after that. Throating in a separate operation is unlikely to have every barrel theoated exactly the same.

Changes in bullet weight (and length)?

I feel the same way as Mike. I also cant help but think your final product will be a better product having everything cut in one straight set up. I have and do throat barrels for folks, and the results thus far have been fine. However for myself, I will always have the free bore I need ground into my reamer. Lee

Back