RCBS 1500 surprise...

Rustystud

Sunday I reloaded some 6.5 X .284s using my RCBS 1500 measure. I drained all the powder out of the reservoir and pressed the stop/cancel button. I did leave it on so it would not have to warm up. Today Thursday I went in my reloading room and some time between Sunday and Thursday it began trying to dispense powder on its own. The motor was running. Having no powder in the reservoir it just kept running and running. Does not show any harm but I would not want to have it running continously. Has anyone else had this happen with their RCBS 1500?

Rustystud

Rustystud--I have had my ChargeMaster for about three years now and while I do leave it on 24/7/almost 365, I have never had it start to try to throw a charge on its own. It may be time to call RCBS and see if there is a recall on your machine or if they have a remedy for this problem.

I've had the same thing happen to my TOM TOM GPS. I've got into the car and found it on although It had been turned off. Maybe there is some kind of self awareness developing in all these electronic gadgets we've provided with memory circuits. :eek:

1500 chargemaster

Hi Nate,

When the unit first came out this problem never happened. Last year I bought several units for some Canadian shooters. I tested each unit and I thought RCBS added a new feature, and maybe they did. After your powder charge was dispensed and you took the pan off the scale and dumped it into the case, then replaced it on the scale, the machine would settle to zero and restart by itself and drop another charge. After finishing loading, I had to shut the machine off or it would want to keep dropping powder.

With Best Regards,
Bob

I push cancel or it will try to dispense the programed load when the pan is replaced on the scale.
I also leave mine on 24/7/365 or in leap year 366.

I talked with a Tec at RCBS..

He stated they have not been having any problems with loaders trying to dispense on their own. They offered to take my RCBS 1500 Combo back for testing and would replace it if necessary.

I spoke with a tech and asked about the reprograming to speed them up. He gave me detailed instructions. Yes, I had to go and see what the new numbers would do. The numbers he actually gave me were conservative.

With a little experimentation I went from 15-30 second dispensing to 5-15 second dispensing.

I was remarkable the difference. If your RCBS 1500 Combo seems slow, I suggest you call RCBS and get the programing tips.

Rustystud

Last edited:
As you may know

There is an auto-cycle selection that keeps charges coming. To activate it simply hold down the enter button for three seconds and the same to dis-engage it. the words AUTO and MANUAL appear on the screne on the scales. when AUTO is selected, the machine will keep running even with no powder in it as long as there is a pan on the portion that weighs the charge. It's a nice feature but can be annoying sometimes.

Last edited:
Back