Range rods or grizzly rod??

skeetlee

Hope everyone had a nice day today. My 2 girls were up at 3am this morning to see what santa left for them. Boy, I sure remember those days. They made out like a fat rat, and they were very pleased!
Anyway now that things have settled down a bit, I thought I would sneak off to see what you fellas are up to. I got to thinking about what else i need to get ordered, to start doing my own barrel work. I need to buy some range rods, or a grizzly rod, or some type of indicating rod, to dial my barrels in with, and i really just don't know what would be best. My tail stock is .005 high so that has be a little concerned about using a grizzly rod. I have been told it doesnt matter if my tail stock is high, but i cant help but wonder. Dad is going to grind something on the tail stock so it doesnt run high, but that may be a while off, if we can even do so. He said he would have to take it apart, and see if we can even do it. I Have read a little bit about range rods, and they look pretty appealing to me, I guess they taper a bit for an absolute fit, but i dont know if they still use interchangeable bushings? Bottom line is i just dont know what type of rod to use, so i am hoping some of you fine gentlemen can direct me in the proper direction. What do you think? Range rod, or a grizzly rod, or some other type of rod? Thanks lee

a long indicater at the throat make more sense to me...

can one "range rod" just the throat ??...

mike in co

I have watched Mr Gritter's Youtube film on Barrel Chambering a number of times. In the video he has his Range Rod chucked up in his tailstock. I wonder about doing that. I am thinking most tailstocks are off a few thou and wonder what effect them being off might have on the accuracy of getting the barrel dialed in concentrically. It seems to me that a range rod hanging out of the barrel on it's own would be more accurate

The rod is long and skinny because it is designed to flex. Now open your calipers .005 and take a good long look.:)

For barrels under 50 cal get a set of gage pins to dial in the muzzle when working on the chamber end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190-Pc-250-...808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c75a1d0

Use an Interapid indicator with a long probe to indicate the chamber neck to dial that end in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interapid-T...237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c2fc8ad

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERAPID-C...810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e6ab97fa

Trouble with all these range rod thingies is that you are dialing outside the bore to use them.

I use a "grizzly rod" as purchased from PTG. I wish I had a long stem indicator but I think the rod method has its merits. Gordy's name is in a lot of winning setup lists. Can't fault his method for results.

Hope everyone had a nice day today. My 2 girls were up at 3am this morning to see what santa left for them. Boy, I sure remember those days. They made out like a fat rat, and they were very pleased!
Anyway now that things have settled down a bit, I thought I would sneak off to see what you fellas are up to. I got to thinking about what else i need to get ordered, to start doing my own barrel work. I need to buy some range rods, or a grizzly rod, or some type of indicating rod, to dial my barrels in with, and i really just don't know what would be best. My tail stock is .005 high so that has be a little concerned about using a grizzly rod. I have been told it doesnt matter if my tail stock is high, but i cant help but wonder. Dad is going to grind something on the tail stock so it doesnt run high, but that may be a while off, if we can even do so. He said he would have to take it apart, and see if we can even do it. I Have read a little bit about range rods, and they look pretty appealing to me, I guess they taper a bit for an absolute fit, but i dont know if they still use interchangeable bushings? Bottom line is i just dont know what type of rod to use, so i am hoping some of you fine gentlemen can direct me in the proper direction. What do you think? Range rod, or a grizzly rod, or some other type of rod? Thanks lee

Range rods have been used to build many accurate rifles, we cannot argue that fact. Ask anyone you know using range rods to do a little experiment for you. Ask them to dial in a barrel with a range rod, remove the range rod, reinsert the rod, and show you the run out. They never repeat! It's a flawed system in concept, much less utility! Do that test yourself and you'll throw them away like I did.

For barrels under 50 cal get a set of gage pins to dial in the muzzle when working on the chamber end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190-Pc-250-...808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c75a1d0

Use an Interapid indicator with a long probe to indicate the chamber neck to dial that end in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interapid-T...237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c2fc8ad

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERAPID-C...810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e6ab97fa

Trouble with all these range rod thingies is that you are dialing outside the bore to use them.

That indicator only has .0005 resolution to it with the 3/4" arm... what are you doing to it when you add a 1.75" arm to it? You expect it to still read .0005 resolution at the tip?

I also must be missing something with the gage pins. My bushings are in .0002" increments, that pin set wont work for me as it would wobble around in the barrel as you spin the chuck. What am I missing here?

Why not use a rod with 2 precisely fitted bushings?

Attachments

• ssg_rangerod1.jpg
    ssg_rangerod1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,177
the long indicator interapid is .0005 with the long indicator( 2.8" long)...the spacing on the graduations of the face allows one to easily to sub plus or minus .0003..........

mike in co

Why not use a rod with 2 precisely fitted bushings?

How much tolerance stackup are you going to have with that setup. And, again, using an external rod of any design, you are indicating off a surface OUTSIDE the bore, not at the chamber neck where the bullet enters the bore.

superman said:
That indicator only has .0005 resolution to it with the 3/4" arm... what are you doing to it when you add a 1.75" arm to it? You expect it to still read .0005 resolution at the tip?
Like mikeco wrote, with that indicator having a 1-1/2" dial and 0.0005" graduations you can easily read to 0.0001". 'Sides, if an Interapid reads zero, the runout is zero.

Back