Randy Perkowski has passed

Paul Weihe

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Randy Perkowski passed away this morning after a long bout with many health issues. He was a great human being, an excellent Score Shooter in the NBRSA and IBS and a great friend. He will be missed. Please keep his wife Sam and daughter Katie in your prayers and pray for his soul. He leaves many friends at Chippewa Rifle Club and through out the East and Mid-west.
Respectfully,
Paul Weihe

I was only able to know him for the past two years, but he taught me a lot about shooting and machining. Always ready to help out, and wish I had more time with him.
He was an ambassador for benchrest, and in particular hunter class score shooting. I was able to shoot his 30br and pick his brain on some bullets Bill Niemi was developing. It was an experience I wont forget!
I will miss our discussions a lot, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family, and fellow friends/shooters that knew him.

Mike

One of the last proponents...

and users of the 30x47 and .308 in hunter gun shooting with 134 grain BIBs. I am so sorry to hear about his passing and wish his family the best as they deal with their loss. He was a great person and fun to be around at matches over the years.

I can add but repetition - Randy was a good man (make that Human being) and fierce [best kind] of competitor.
Condolences and prayers for his beloved. RIP, Randy, for you, surely, the gates were wide open. RG

it is with great sadness that i have to announce that randy perkowski passed away this morning after a long bout with many health issues. He was a great human being, an excellent score shooter in the nbrsa and ibs and a great friend. He will be missed. Please keep his wife sam and daughter katie in your prayers and pray for his soul. He leaves many friends at chippewa rifle club and through out the east and mid-west.
Respectfully,
paul weihe
good luck to his family he came to see at kelbys every year

The World is a better place for Randy having been here.

Randy was quite simply....a quality person.

I cherish the memory of our debates on the .30 caliber 'slow/short/light vs. fast/long/heavy' as applied to the .30 caliber HBR guns. We held our annual 'debates' at the Wi. State NBRSA Hunter Championships at Van Dyne, Wi. each year. I'd walk over to the tent where he and Hank Kulhawick were loading and he'd get that sparkle in his eye and say something like "Well, let's get to it!" :D

His sense of irony, humor and his ability to poke fun at himself was legendary. At the IBS Score Nationals in Dublin, Ga., he won the Hunter Grand. He was recovering from prostate surgery and the win was especially sweet not only for him but for those of us that knew what he'd been through. He told me he was proud that he and I both would have our names on the IBS traveling trophy. I threatened to improvise a chair and we'd carry him into the awards ceremony like they do the Palma champions. He told me: "If you guys do that, you're likely to all get wet!" Then he added: "I bet this is the only time someone won it while wearing Depends!" :cool:

His story of leaving the tip at a Kansas City steakhouse when we were there for the NBRSA Hunter Nationals cracks me up to this day!

Randy was an engineer at Kennametal and held several individual patents for cutting tools used in the machine tool industry. In fact, if you're a user of the Kennametal cutting tooling in your machine tool operations, you've been touched by a little of his engineering skills.

This picture was taken at Van Dyne, Wi. NBRSA Hunter event. Randy is at the upper right, Mark Taylor to his right, Wade Hunniwell and the late Ron Shultz is at the upper left. Lower right (kneeling) is Grand Agg winner Tom Hencken and myself (kneeling, lower left).

LU9L61Sl.jpg

Last edited:
The World is a better place for Randy having been here.

This picture was taken at Van Dyne, Wi. NBRSA Hunter event. Randy is at the upper right, the late Ron Shultz is at the upper left, Chad Hunniwell is to Ron's left. Lower right (kneeling) is Grand Agg winner Tom Hencken and myself (kneeling, lower left).

LU9L61Sl.jpg

Not to nitpick Al, but that would be Wade Hunniwell.

Back