Railgun and lead shot

RLHBUSL

How many of you use a bag of lead shot on the base of your railgun?

For those that do, do you do it to add weight to the base to keep it from moving? To dampen vibration? Or for some other reason? How much weight do you use?

For those that don't, do you think it is detrimental? Not helpful? Or just too much trouble to deal with?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Last edited:
All of the above.

I took a pair of mens nylon dress socks and filled them full of #9 shot. Both together weigh about 40 pounds. They are very flexable, which allows you to sort of wrap them around the innards of the base..........jackie

Hi Ryan
I use about 20lb of lead shot in a small pillow shaped bag, but another good thing to do is clamp a block of wood to the table touching the front of your base the stop any chance of forward movement when returning to battery....Bryn

Thanks, Jackie. I look forward to shooting my first Unlimited match in Tomball come March.

Bryn, I appreciate the advice. I'll never forget being there when you shot that little 5 shot Unlimited group in Visalia (range measured .035 if memory serves).

Ryan

EDIT: sorry, Bryn - I said I'd never forget being there...I didn't say I would never forget the size of the group. I did my research and was reminded that your group measured .025 at the range!

Last edited:
Follow-up question: if you were making a bag to fill with #9 lead shot to add weight and dampen vibration, would you rather the bottom of the bag be made of leather, cordura or some other material?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

I just use the bag the shot came in. I never opened it up. So I use all 25 pounds. I see no need for an xtra expense. Tony

The bags the shot comes in is too stiff. ...........jackie

What brand shot are you buying Jackie? I can see the original bag being too slick but too stiff? The too slick problem is easily fixed with a little powdered rosin. I use leather bags since I don't want all the weight in one place on the rail base.

Back