PTG FLS Dies and reamer set up

J

JRB

A buddy and i have chambered our first two barrels and would like to chamber our PTG dies,
we have bought the die reamer and die body.

before we start we would like to get any tips, and also what works best with the process.
We would like to achieve a FLS die with neck bushing, using Redding parts,
Cheers
Jim

Just looking for some info on making a Fls die,
have not made one before, so any tips appreciated.
Jim

A buddy and i have chambered our first two barrels and would like to chamber our PTG dies,
we have bought the die reamer and die body.

before we start we would like to get any tips, and also what works best with the process.
We would like to achieve a FLS die with neck bushing, using Redding parts,
Cheers
Jim

I suggest that if you have an existing Redding or similar bushing type die on hand that you duplicate the internal measurements-depth from die end to where the neck bushing sits, diameter of that fit, thread diameter and pitch where the decapper fits, etc.

(Redding will sell you decapper rods, decapper rod guides, etc)

If your sample die is for a cartridge that is longer or shorter than the one you are making you would NOT have the same Overall Length (OAL) of the finished die. Take care to not go too deep with the die chambering reamer. You need to have that die being made to have about the same shoulder bump length as your sample die. i.e. When the new die bunps the shoulder you want to have the same distance from the die base to the shell holder as the sample. To accomplish this you may need to make a few trial and error passes with the die's reamer.

Work from the chamber end first, Get that correct, then work from the neck bushing end keeping close eye on the amount of shoulder being left as you machine the fit for the neck bushing. You do not want to remove any of that shoulder. Use trial and error on this operation also.

If you have an existing die and a Go gage for that chambering, measure from the base of the Go gage to the die end. Then duplicate that measurement with your new die and its Go gage.

Last edited:
A6.jpgA5.jpgA4.jpgA3.jpg

I used PTG die`s, and machined a threaded dieholder(did not move it, before die was finished. But then I had to turn down the top of the die, to be able to reverse it).
Calculated depth. Ream out chamber.
Flipped die, and machined for Forster bussings. Then made the bussings for this project(nut heat thr).

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 328
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 325
A7.jpgA8.jpgA9.jpgA10.jpg
The die works, in normal use. But I like to make the cases superclean in beforehand.

And by the way, you seem`s to be a good bunch.

Yes sir.
I relied on the threads and nut, to give me alignment(live senter support die, while I tighten the nut).

The best setup in the world?
No sir.

When "flipped", the roundout is 0.03mm in that hole.

Top of die is threaded inside & the neck bushing press up against the threaded "spindle bushing".
Look`s like it align itself.

After a trip through that die, the case neck is concentric, in relation to the case body.

D1.jpg
I made this FL bushing die, a seater(copy of LEE dead length seater), and a form die.
This was my first attempt to make a set of dies(apr a year ago).
In the process, I thought it was a little stupid to turn down the top of the die.
So, before making the form die, I backbored the dieholder and realigned it. This way, I can screw the die through the headstock, for the first setup(bore/ream the chamber end).
Bore, single point thread, "face of" the dieholder works. Cases and loaded round is as concentric as with any of my regular dies.
But is there a faster/better way?
I suppose it is.
I thought of the steady rest. Or a tube with 4 + 4 bolts(and a backstop for the die). Then I can align it, for sure.
Ended up with the "screwup" thing, hehe.
I will try to make dies with the above methods too. Then I can compare.
Any other suggestions? Written words, pictures, or video.
There is thousands of videos out there, regarding thread and chamber a barrel. But almost nothing about dies. STRANGE.......
You can see that my pictures, is "screenshots" from video files.
When I have tryed the other methods, I will try to post videos on ytube. But time, my friens, time.

Back