Primer pocket swagers

Pete Wass

Primer pocket shrinkers

Is there someone who makes for sale a primer pocket size reducing device that actually works? I have tried a couple different devices commercially made that do not work very well, if at all. I would be interested in purchasing one that would use a press to do the work, if one exists.

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Last edited:
Just a thought

have you tried contacting some of the commercial automated press manufacturers. I would think that their carbide base dies could be ordered to be used as a pass thru die.

Pete ...

Is there someone who makes for sale a primer pocket size reducing device that actually works? Thanks, Pete Wass

Suggestion. Why not work the solution backwards? Go here for primer dimension B and then select the largest size primer to fill the pocket per your application. http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php. Art :) P.S. You might also want to try Wolf primers which aren't listed. They've always seem to fit much tighter for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, the primer pocket is originally formed in a die which also maintains the total diameter & thickness of the case head - before the extractor groove is cut.

I suspect that unless those criteria could be met, there will be a lesser or more likely a greater degree of compromise in the performance of the reforming unit - and the shortcoming might quite possibly reflect on case integrity & your safety.

abintx

thanks mate that primer article was a very intresting read.wouldn't it infer that br4's are the go?
jim

Jim ...

Not necessarily. It depends on the diameter Pete is trying to fill and the pressures involved. Look at the Federal 200. Its diameter is .0002" wider [.1757" vice .1755"] than the BR4. And, this assumes Pete needs a small primer.

I think that may be

what it takes, to actually shrink the head of the cases thus shrinking the primer pockets back to where they were when they were made.

Last edited:
Hi All , This is the way i have been swaging then for last ten years..JR..Jeff Rogers ..pic of die

Attachments

• resize die.jpg
    resize die.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 406
me thinks several of you failed to read the question. it is not about removing military crimps form milsurpls brass, but abaout trying to shrink the pocket of br competition brass to allow continued use.

still no answers ??

mike in co

My bad!

Mike,
You're right!
I read the topic "Primer Pocket Swagers" and made an assumption!

RW Hart and Sons may have your answer

Pete:

Wally and Bobby Hart contract with someone to make their primer pocket tightening device. The sell both a large and small version. I have not personally use one but I have been told they do work.

They are listed as an advertiser on this web site.

Nat Lambeth

p.s. I am a comercial reloader and have three case sizers. One is a roll sizer sold by Dan Scharch. I have several different rollers for different cases. This device resizes the web area of the case. Another case sizer is called a Case Pro 100. It too is a roll sizer that uses die plates and a pull handle. The cases are fed by a Dillon collator. The third sizer is a punch type. It uses Carbide dies and a ram to push the case through the die. Lee makes a single feed model. I beleive Dave Howell at Ammo Load World Wide located in Lewiston ID can help you with this type sizer. It also uses a coolator to feed the punch.

I just took 2 pics of a case that was originally not safe to hold a primer ( pocket id was .2110 and belt dia was .5325.. I then ran it through the swag tool and took another pic ( pocket id is .2095 and the belt dia is .5285)..On brass that is weak i resize every firing and get up to 20 reloads from a case..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps it's not rocket science to make this if you have a lathe

Attachments

• IMG_1088 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1088 (Large).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1090 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1090 (Large).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 371
Jeff,
Is this used in conjunction with the die in your previous post? If you could elaborate a little further I‘m interested in what you have to say.

Rick

Yes Rick , the die in the 1st post shows the case protruding through ,the rod below the vernier is used to push the case through the die neck first ,using a normal 7/8 x 14 press..The case in the pic was from my 7mm Short Mag i made from 6.5 Rem Mag brass back in 1997 ,the avaliable Remington brass had no strength so i made up the die without knowing if there was anything available in your country .. I just had to build something as the cases were throwaways after 2 shots without it ..JR..Jeff Rogers ..ps another trick with the mag cases is to reduce the dia of the belt area on the reamer to .530 from the std .5325 supplied by the reamer guys and of coarse hit the case softly 1st time up
Jeff,
Is this used in conjunction with the die in your previous post? If you could elaborate a little further I‘m interested in what you have to say.

Rick

There was an article or part of an article in PS in the last year that addressed this issue. The writer was using part of a 22-250 die cut off to push a 6ppc case thru it to squeeze the web area down a bit. Don't remember the issue, but could probably find it.

Donald

Hi All , This is the way i have been swaging then for last ten years..JR..Jeff Rogers ..pic of die

jr,
this is based on the belt dia only ? push thru on a single stage press( i big one ?)
i see the big ring to control the die's expansion.....its a taper on the inside..what is your min id to get the listed resized od ?

thanks
mike

Yes mike it moves the belt/ case head .. I use a simple single stage press.. It 's tapered most of the length and then runs parrallel for about 12.7mm.. Dia is dependent on the case size before firing ..The Lapua brass i currently use is .529 when new ,the die is .5285 and i resize every case even from new .. This way it does not get a chance to grow bigger and naturally is easier to get through the die each firing..The second die is .5265 ,only used when really needed as it requires a lot more effort or when using cases that measure less when new.. The 6.5 Rem Mag brass i had years ago was .5275 to .5285 new,the Lapua is larger and way more even..JR..Jeff Rogers
jr,
this is based on the belt dia only ? push thru on a single stage press( i big one ?)
i see the big ring to control the die's expansion.....its a taper on the inside..what is your min id to get the listed resized od ?

thanks
mike

Can you please explain

Pete:

Wally and Bobby Hart contract with someone to make their primer pocket tightening device. The sell both a large and small version. I have not personally use one but I have been told they do work.

They are listed as an advertiser on this web site.

Nat Lambeth

p.s. I am a comercial reloader and have three case sizers. One is a roll sizer sold by Dan Scharch. I have several different rollers for different cases. This device resizes the web area of the case. Another case sizer is called a Case Pro 100. It too is a roll sizer that uses die plates and a pull handle. The cases are fed by a Dillon collator. The third sizer is a punch type. It uses Carbide dies and a ram to push the case through the die. Lee makes a single feed model. I beleive Dave Howell at Ammo Load World Wide located in Lewiston ID can help you with this type sizer. It also uses a coolator to feed the punch.

A roller die? I can't visualize what it could look like.

I bought one from Heart's several years ago. I had some Remington 300 Savage cases I had made into 30-44 that had loosened up. It is a punch that crushes brass into the pocket from the butt of the case; actually makes the pocket shallower. By the time I had hammered all of them tight the punch was distorted and I had to dress the edges of the Anvil a couple of times along the way. if the parts had been made from Hardned steel the device would be better but I don't think making the pockets shallower is the right solution to this problem.

I also bough one of those RCBS crimp removers from a well know used BR equipment house. I asked them specifically before I bought it if it restored loose pockets to their correct size and was told yes :( :mad:. I kept it because I though I might ues it for military cases. I didn't appreciate being lied to, I must say.

At a buck or more each, I think it well worth saving cases not to mention brass that is unique.

Back