Precision loading with a Dillon 550

Haven't we been down this road (several times?) in the past on this forum?

I think you will find that opinions vary and those who hold them are convinced that only they know the truth (and not only on this topic).

This ain't cauliflower...... the opinions of ballistics engineers and people who actually test at both distances (Oehler 43) do NOT vary.

Some opinions are worth more than others. You will never understand this concept vic, nor "agree"

:)

al

Thx

Thanks guys. I will give it a whirl sometime in the future.

OK vic, let me try this one more time.....

I know very little.....

I have a lot of opinions, but I know very little......

however, that said, there are things I KNOW about, from time and experience....

I DO know more than most about a few subjects. For instance, I've been pouring concrete for well over half my life. I get called in as an "expert." I've been asked to give opinions in court cases, I've been retained to assess and to assign dollar values for some fairly pricey situations. My opinion re concrete is "better" than certain others. Probably "better" than yours.

I'm sure you have a like expertise in something, something you know more than me about.

I don't have a problem with that. When I need your advice, I'll call you :)

This is what I do. I get advice from EXPERTS....

Because I can't know it all.

opinionby

al

But...how do bullets go through the same hole at 200 yards and then somehow become errant at 600 yards because the powder wasn't weighed?

Wilbur....

When two bullets go through the same hole at 200 yds EITHER they are traveling at nearly the velocity OR the gun is tuned to launch slower bullets higher.

period

Two bullets CANNOT go through the same hole at different velocities, unless the gun is tuned to compensate.

This is what "benchrest tuning" is....uning to compensate for velocity differences.

Al, I'm confused -- again. Given your description of the first alternative, I assume you're saying that the "slower" bullet in the second alternative is significantly slower than the other bullet. Are you saying you can "tune" a gun to put a 2,500fps bullet in the same hole as, e.g., a 3,000fps bullet? If that's what you're saying, it seems that the only "tuning" you can do is with the scope clicks. Is that what you're saying?

Al, I'm confused -- again. Given your description of the first alternative, I assume you're saying that the "slower" bullet in the second alternative is significantly slower than the other bullet. Are you saying you can "tune" a gun to put a 2,500fps bullet in the same hole as, e.g., a 3,000fps bullet? If that's what you're saying, it seems that the only "tuning" you can do is with the scope clicks. Is that what you're saying?

no

Wth???

"When you order a hummer you have to specify what yardage you will be shooting at."

Boy this is a new one on me! Never ever heard of this - anyone else?

Hunter, i can't speak for Al but here is a link to a thread that talks about this. and, i'm fairly sure Al isn't talking about 'two bullets of significant different MV'. Keith gives a good explanation in post 26.

Thanks for the link; it was interesting reading. However, the idea of getting "the muzzle angle [] rising throughout the interval when all the bullets exit" sounds nice in theory, but being able to do that reliably is probably above my pay grade.

As for "two bullets of significant different MV," that was just my terminology as a contrast to his terminology of "two bullets ... traveling at nearly the same velocity."

QUOTE=Hunter;742504]Clarity, please? What are you saying regarding putting two bullets of significantly different MV in the same hole?[/QUOTE]

Most 100-200yd competition is conducted using "thrown" powder charges, therefore most competition loads exhibit muzzle velocity variation (ES) in the order of 40-50fps. These differences in velocity result in different times if flight. Different TOF results in different gravity drop from shot to shot. Different gravity drop from shot to shot results in vertical dispersion at the target. Yet in real life targets are shot....AGGREGATES are fired wherein the vertical dispersion is less than the minimum gravity drop dispersion. In real life guns shoot better than the physics seem to imply is possible.

In other words, impossible.

Except that gravity drop is countered by muzzle vibration, ie, slower bullets are launched with a higher flight angle to compensate for the gravity drop. In fact, truly accurate rifles can produce groups which climb higher on the target as velocity decreases.

This is the essence of BR tuning, you shoot in a "node" where slower bullets are compensated for by the system.

this is all meaningless for normal rifles

hth

al

This began as a most informative thread and then it went downhill.
Oh, Alinwa and Mikeinco stepped in.
If people are interested in the use of a Dillon 550 for accuracy reloading, they should read the first page of this thread, I mean hawser.

Back