PPC - 0.264 chamber

Lee Martin

We'll be cutting the reamer and dies for my PPC soon and I landed on 0.264 for the neck (largely because I already have buttons between 259 and 262). Just interested to know if anyone runs that chamber and what thickness you turn to for short range (100/200).

I was thinking of the following:

Brass - 220 Lapua
Chamber - 0.264" (+/- 0.0005")
Neck thickness - 0.0095"
Bullet - 0.2435"
Loaded neck - 0.2625"
Total clearance - 0.0015"

A 0.260" sizing ring should put tension right around 0.0025".

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

With VV N-133, you might want a little more tension. With some other powders, a little less. And bullet jam can be a small factor, but not as big as powder choice.

BTW, don't forget to actually measure the chamber neck after you cut it...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The Beggs has slightly less capacity than the PPC with the altered shoulder radius, right? I didn't consider that version but have heard good things about it.

As for powder I'll likely shoot LT. If I try N133 I'll bump neck tension to 0.0035" - 0.004". And you're absolutely right Charles, it all depends on how the chamber cuts. We'll grind the reamer right at 0.264" but we all know they walk a tad. In my experience 0.0005" is pretty common.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I would certainly try 133. There is a reason all of us keep going back to it after the latest squeeze doesn't quite pan out. Too soon to tell with LT-32. And barrels have preferences for particular powders & bullets. Some day we'll figure out how to make 'em like everybody, not yet. A lot of things will get you to the .250 agg. When you take aim on teen aggs, everything has to be quite friendly.

The one plus on the 6mm Beggs (as reported, I have no actual experience) is you can use 4198. Well, you can use 4198 with a PPC too, but not if you fret about all that extra capacity, and the velocity you're not getting.

We'll be cutting the reamer and dies for my PPC soon and I landed on 0.264 for the neck (largely because I already have buttons between 259 and 262). Just interested to know if anyone runs that chamber and what thickness you turn to for short range (100/200).

I was thinking of the following:

Brass - 220 Lapua
Chamber - 0.264" (+/- 0.0005")
Neck thickness - 0.0095"
Bullet - 0.2435"
Loaded neck - 0.2625"
Total clearance - 0.0015"

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

That's a new one ... backing into an oddball chamber based on the bushings one possesses? :confused:

Why not go with the .268 or or the traditional .262 where there's plenty of data and experience to draw from? Or you could try the .263 Speedy/Boyer reamer.

Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge can give you some good advice on what's really working and in demand by the top 100/200 yard shooters: http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to tinker and thought I'd try 0.264". I knew an old HOF'er who had good success with that dimension. I'm also not convinced the 0.002" difference betwee 262 or the 0.004" off of 268 makes as much difference as folks postulate. As long a neck tension and concentricity are sound it should shoot but we'll see. Incidentally, I'm using the Speedy/Boyer #3 specs just with a 264 neck.

We make our own reamers so if 264 doesn't work we'll grind 0.002" off, turn necks, and go down on the button. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

In my mind as long as you turn the necks a little to clean everything up, who cares what the thickness is. a .264 should be just fine. Wouldnt be my choice but that makes no matter. Good luck and enjoy, Lee

Thanks for verifying the neck Eddie. It's been so many years that somehow I got 264 in my head on Culver's. I had the pleasure of shooting that rifle a few times in the late 80's / early 90's....it could definitely group.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Mine is a pure magi with a 265. That because that is the diameter where the Norma brass cleans up. It works for me. I back off a tad on "tension". Don't know that it really makes a huge difference. It just seemed like a good place to start, it worked and I never changed. I haven't played with it since getting the LT-32. Too distracted by my 220 Beggs.

Thanks for the input. I definitely plan on toying with neck tension. So how have you liked the LT so far? I have 24 lbs on back-order but don't expect to get it anytime soon. I'm really eager to give it a try.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

We'll be cutting the reamer and dies for my PPC soon and I landed on 0.264 for the neck (largely because I already have buttons between 259 and 262).
www.singleactions.com

There is nothing wrong with a .264" neck chamber but I have to say picking your reamer dimension by what bushings you already have seems kind of silly. You are bound to end up needing a different size, things just seem to work out that way.
Dick

I wouldnt say silly. I use carbide bushings and they arent exactly cheap. I do agree with dick though. Better hope your reamer actually turns a .264 LOL!! Good luck and enjoy. Lee

I should clarify. My decision to try 264 isn't based on bushings alone.....I just thought I'd give that dimension a whirl. We cut all of our reamers and dies in house so I won't be out anything if I decide to step down to 262.

As for how it chambers, we've made dozens of reamers over the years. We hold extremely tight tolerances with reamer walk on the order of a few ten-thousandths (tops). Like I said, I'll keep you guys posted.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Thanks for the input. I definitely plan on toying with neck tension. So how have you liked the LT so far? I have 24 lbs on back-order but don't expect to get it anytime soon. I'm really eager to give it a try.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I have shot the LT-32 a tad in a 6 PPC. My recommendation is to go with Lou Murdica's recommendation.

I've shot it quite a bit in the 220 Beggs with 53 gr Hillbilly FB. It shooters slightly better than Benchmark in my barrel. With all the usual caveats (start low, etc), I found happiness between 25 and 26 grains. If you go the 220 Beggs route, I have velocity/charge/temp data that you might find useful. I have it for Benchmark and LT-32. I have some data for N-133 as well.

Lee I bought a rifle many years ago from Bob Simonson, it was a Ralph Stolle Action, shilen barrel, heavy varmint gun and it was chambered in .264 nk with a JGS reamer and man that gun would shoot. I wish I still owned it today. I talked to Ferris P. quite a bit about the .264 chamber and lets just say I think you might be on the right track. So much so about 15 years ago I bought the reamer and have thought about having a few barrels cut with it.? I know there are many thoughts on reamers, nk. dia., OAL, Free bore, etc. You will be fine and I'm sure it will shoot. Best wishes on the project, please keep us updated.

My first PPC had a .261 neck.....but I have since gone to the .265 neck with no problems.

The only difference being how much I have to turn the necks and the sizing bushings.

Back