Pleasant Surprise

jackie schmidt

The Fed-Ex truck just dropped off 96 pounds of XBR 8208. I am officially out of "mad money" for a few days.

Guess what I will be doing tommorrow, and maybe even Saturday, on the New Years Holiday.:D.........jackie

Hal,
It is good to see that there is still some flesh left on your bones after the recent fracas.Weather here is good,just got the dog thawed off the fire hydrant. Nice thing about winter 'round here---cold is clean,the air is crisp,you can see for a long way,then ya slip on the ice and get to stare at the sky for awhile.What could be nicer ?
Joel

Houston Weather

Bright and sunny, about 38 degrees inthe morning, 60 degrees in the afternoon. Saturday might be about as good...............jackie

Jackie
That sucks come north and enjoy mid 20's snow and wind. Have fun at the range.
Mike

Wish I could afford 96lb of powder......it would cost approx NZ$7500.00 to buy that much here......but it looks like we won't be able to get any XBR 8208 either.:mad:

One good thing it's a pleasant 72 deg here today much better than the 92+ we had on Christmas day.:D

I'm with Jackie

My 16 pounds of XBR showed up this morning and I headed for the range, 62 degrees and great shooting conditions. Good news > no flyers!!!!!! I've been having flyer problems lately. In fact they have been so bad we've renamed them leapers! Shot 10 - 5 shot groups, finally got some bad verticle at 28.0 grains started at 31.5 grains. Love this stuff, meters great. Very consistant.
Thank you Lou Murdica for your efforts in making this powder a reality, and everyone else involved.
Happy New Year to all the shooters out there in cyberland.
From Calif.

MAC:)

The Fed-Ex truck just dropped off 96 pounds of XBR 8208. I am officially out of "mad money" for a few days.

Guess what I will be doing tommorrow, and maybe even Saturday, on the New Years Holiday.:D.........jackie

96 Pounds , Is that a one month or a two month supply for someone who shoots as much as you ?

Dick

its my understanding its only enough to work up loads, his match powder order has not come in yet......

mike in co

Hal,
It is good to see that there is still some flesh left on your bones after the recent fracas.Weather here is good,just got the dog thawed off the fire hydrant. Nice thing about winter 'round here---cold is clean,the air is crisp,you can see for a long way,then ya slip on the ice and get to stare at the sky for awhile.What could be nicer ?
Joel

Left with a couple scars, nothing I'm not used to. I'm really disappointed to see that your not at Dunham's Bay today. What kind of a NY'er don't show up at a match in his own state...specially since the weather is perfect for teen aggs;););)

Hal,
9 deg,25mph winds,a foot of snow and me drivin the "death trap" cargo van. I may be nuts but I'm not crazy !

Saturday at the Range

Well, the weather man said 40-60 degrees, but when I got to the range at 7:am Sat Morning, it was 29 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky.

It never got above 56 all day, but the Sun was shining, and the humidity was no higher than 30 percent most of the day.

We started out with that upper end load that shot so well the last time out, and Mr Verticle was camped out on the target. I was thinking we were too hot, but as we went down, it got worse. Not real bad, but not real good.

Then I set my Chrono up, (Ohlear 35P), and discovered that the velocity was down quite a bit. The 31.8 grn load was only going about 3430.

So, I told Vic Smith that maybe we needed to up the load to match the 3470 or so that shot so good last time out. We did, (32.4 grns), and bingo, Mr Verticle left and Mr "zero" took his place. I shot some nice ones, then nailed a really nice zero with my Sporter. I had a 6th shot left, and it put another shot in the group with no affect. I figure it went about .070.

I then set my Rail Gun back on the bench, and using the exact same load, nailed a 10-shot group that was no bigger than .140. Nice round hole.

One other note. The velocity in the Rail Gun, (23.5 inch barrel), averaged about 3480, but the velocity out of the 21.5 inch Sporter was barley 3400, actually about an average 3390.

With N133, I see only about a 30 fps drop between the Rail and the shorter Sporter barrel. I agree with Mike, we need to wait untill warmer weather to see how much affect a 30 degree difference will make. I can darn sure make it shoot at 55 degrees, with a lot of powder. I suspect that when the weather warms up, this stuff will be just about ideal.

Incidentally, that 32.4 grn charge comes just a tad over 1/2 way up the neck with a 8 inch drop tube and a slow trickle.........jackie

Jackie

So it (8208XBR) may not be quite as temp stable as 1st thought ? or how does it compare to your 133 loads at the same temps. Do you bump the 133 up as much for the cold temps ?

Miracle powder defying the laws of physics it is not. I hate to tell you I told you so but........;)

Back