Photos from Florida

TomD

e publius unum
Just a couple of what I think are interesting shots from around the Florida panhandle.

Creatures of Light and Darkness by TomD77, on Flickr

Atrium of Naval Air Museum by TomD77, on Flickr

Choppy in protected waters by TomD77, on Flickr

Strange Vessels in the Gulf of Mexico by TomD77, on Flickr

Cinderalla's Wicked Sister by TomD77, on Flickr

Jaguar Hood Ornament by TomD77, on Flickr

Drink Coca Cola, 10 cents! by TomD77, on Flickr

Street Scene by TomD77, on Flickr

Quien Sabe by TomD77, on Flickr

Interesting, you photograph things that most or us never give a second thought. Quite beautiful and thought provoking pictures.

Tom,
Those are some really vivid shots! I particularly like the choppy waters, strange vessels, and Cindarella photos.......in that order. The Coke Machine shot is really nice too, but reminds me more of the style of a commercial photo that is more commonly sold on those framed 3'x2' posters found in stores or on restaurant walls. (Yep...I'm saying that it is very professional style)

Run this by me again....What camera are you using?? I've been eyeing the Nikon D7000 for some time now. I think the Nikon D7000 is fixing to get discontinued, and if I want that great camera at a really good discounted $1,000 price tag (formerly $1,300), I better do it now. Your photos are a renewed incentive!!!!

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any Nikon you buy. I know guys doing incredible work with "ancient" D40's. The lens is more important than the camera body anyway.

I shoot with a Sony A850. Nikon uses Sony sensors BTW, the 850 uses the same full frame 24.6 MP sensor as is used in the Nikon D3X. The 850 is just a still camera, it doesn't connect to the internet, pick up GPS, shoot movies or communicate via facebook.

................I shoot with a Sony A850..............

Ahhh!.....that makes more sense to me now. I don't know why that in another thread you posted here with photos, that I thought you mentioned you were using the likes of a simpler "Power Shot" or "Cool-Pix" style camera. You are using top of the line stuff with that A850....which makes much more sense. Doing that quality of photos with a Power-Shot would have been pretty amazing. (ummm....actually, I guess it would have been impossible. LOL)

I still remember a photo you took and displayed a couple of months back of a couple of young street people. When you can focus on a particular scene like that and you are able to freeze a moment so that it causes a viewer to become captivated with it, you've done some really good photography.

Pro shooter

As a former optical engineer now running my own commercial and industrial photography business I can vouch for the comments posted by others. You definitely have some talent shooting a camera and probably a BR rifle as well. I usually shoot a Mamiya fitted with either a phase one P65 or P80 back attached to it. I use 35mm - a D3X - when I need the framing rate. Camera manufacturers really only design and assemble these days. Consequently the innards of cameras use parts sourced from the same places. They are all tarred with the same or similar brush. Most lenses are designed with the same software so take your pick.

On occasions for my own personal photography and sometimes when work dictates it I shoot film. An art director who recently found out I BR shoot said we will have to be a little more specific when we ask you to shoot something. Because you could elect to use silver, silicone or lead. Keep shooting.
Andy.

To me photography is a way of showing my world and the way that I look at it as opposed to some esoteric art form. Some of the stuff in my world is incredibly cool like the military training aircraft at the Navy base a few miles from my house or the huge live oak. Photography is communication.

T6 Texan II by TomD77, on Flickr

Live Oak Tree by TomD77, on Flickr

Storm Warning by TomD77, on Flickr

Tom where is the first photo

from? Creatures..... Is it in one of the museums in Pensacola? I want to see that one in person next time I come to Pensacola to see Kundahl.

David

Good work

Good photos. Nice break at lunch to view your work.
Have not touched my Minolta in years--Film you know.
Thanks Tom.
Centerfire

Nothing wrong with film

Good photos. Nice break at lunch to view your work.
Have not touched my Minolta in years--Film you know.
Thanks Tom.
Centerfire

When I was at uni majoring in applied photography one of my lecturers Dr Joe McDowel said. It's all about access. You need the correct hardware and software to access digital images. All you need for film is a light source and perhaps a magnifying glass. If the day comes when we can no longer make an artificial light source and a magnifying glass not being able to access the information on the film will be the least of our worries.
Andy.

Back