Peter Smith wins the WWCCA Fall Classic in grand style

Joe Krupa

Fresh back from his excellent performance at the Worlds, Peter decided to stop by (with a few of the other Canadian rascals) at Western Wayne and knock off a two-gun win before the season ends.

I will post the results later, but I would like to give a few highlights of some of the great shooting that occurred over the weekend.

First off at LV100, local shooter Lee Hachigian shot a great .096 on the his last target to win the LV100 agg. by .0002 over the second place finisher. At HV100, John Petteruti shot solid to take that yardage.

On Sunday at 200 yards it was the Peter Smith Show. Pete won the HV 200 stage in the morning and then proceeded to shoot a new range record .1648 at LV 200 to win that yardage, too. Peter also won the Heavy varmint grand and the two-gun.

And the highlight of Peter's day was to not only shoot a .196 at 200 yards in the afternoon, but he followed it up with a .143 on the next target! Two "ones" at 200 yards back-to-back. His .1648 agg. and the .143 are both new WWCCA range records.

It's always more the shooter than the equipment in these kinds of things. But, for those who follow the equipment side of the sport, Peter was using two BAT/Scovilles (a light and a heavy with barrel-snubbers on each) with Mac Lennon cut-rifle barrels chambered by Randy Johansen. He told me he was shooting 29.9 of 133 and never changed his load the entire day. He was also using Lowell Hottenstein's boattail 68's off his latest die and jackets.

I will post the results later.

Congratulations Peter on some great shooting.

It ain't very often we see a fellow shooting well with two rifles....Good shooting Peter!!!

Hey Joe, what's a "barrel snubber"?

It ain't very often we see a fellow shooting well with two rifles....Good shooting Peter!!!

Hey Joe, what's a "barrel snubber"?

It's that rubber-coated weight at the end of the barrel that nobody really "tunes" DURING the match.

Edited for "rubber coated". I understand that the theory is that it cuts down on the muzzle amplitude and allows the tuning node to be wider over the course of the match. Ask Charles Huckeba, who was the first person that I remember using these to basically rip the rest of us up at the Nationals at Raton in 2006. And the rest is history since then.

Charles was an under-appreciated innovator with these kinds of things. He also had some heat-dissipating industrial tape wrapped around his railgun barrel there that smacked of innovation. That also worked pretty well, as I remember.

Last edited:
Congrats Peter.
I sat 2 benches away. What a show.......
Tim B.

ps Peter told me on Friday he had been shooting good all year. Getting a lot of 2nd and 3rd.
Oh, Cash option record. 14 of 20 matches Peter got some........This is unofficial, of course.

Last edited:
Wow great shooting Peter......

I had been watching Peters results all year. He did have a stellar year.

Whatever he has working for him right now I am sure he hopes it carries over into next year.

Congrats Peter.

Calvin

PS: and to think I was ecstatic to shoot a .214 and a .248 in the Sporter 200 at the Nationals......... Those are big compared to those 1's.......
I also believe the Snubber/Tuner that he uses is a Bukys???????? Can someone confirm??????

CCBW, the snubber is a remnant off a rubber mounted bushing from a tugboat....and that is the trufff!

Tell him Jackie, its your invention.

Yes. I designed and built that first tuner/snubber for Charles. That will probably be my only lasting contribution to Benchrest.

Congratulations to Peter on his fine shooting. That's a tough crowd up there by the Boarder.

Last edited:
Congratulations Peter! That was quite the accomplishment as this past weekend was miserable weather to shoot in on top of that. It was cool windy and rainy yesterday here on this side of the state. That is impressive!
You had a great year at the World Shoot and the Nationals also!
Oh by the way, did you make it into the I beat Krupa club?

Congratulations Peter! That was quite the accomplishment as this past weekend was miserable weather to shoot in on top of that. It was cool windy and rainy yesterday here on this side of the state. That is impressive!
You had a great year at the World Shoot and the Nationals also!
Oh by the way, did you make it into the I beat Krupa club?

Yes. He did(just imagine it's a whisper).........

It's a tough crowd. No matter what. The weather, who shows up, how many folks show up, who's got the latest gadget, how many Canadians show up, HOF people, out of staters, .... You still have to shoot .2000" or better....
Tim B.

okay. Got a beer in hand, eh! My computer is locking up furiously tonight. We might not make it to the end.
Peter (the DOT Master.) .2100
Joe Krupa .2375
Vic Potts .2720
Bill Gammon (the old goat). .2771. Oh, my God. I hope he makes it through the winter.....
John Petteruti .2832
Ted Heindselman .2984
Dewayne Wood. .2987
Tim B. .2989
Dom .3152
Butch .3166
Rob MacLennan .3259
Ron Bush(first time at Group) .3292
Pat .3305
Jerry .3388
Chuck M. .3439
Randy .3450
Dave A. .3488
Chuck G. .3568
Margaret .3846
Ron .3912
Lee was playing golf on Sunday. But, on Sat. he got 1st place in LV 100. match 5 .096"....
Rich Q. not sure. Maybe he was playing golf also...

Last edited:
Pete did get into the Club

Oh by the way, did you make it into the I beat Krupa club?[

Yes, John, he did. That club really can't get much bigger. I'm going to make up some T-shirts and sell them. If everyone in the Club buys one, I can quit work.

BTW, does anyone still have the "Beat Baggett... like a rented mule" T-shirts that went around the Super Shoot a few years ago? After I had 25 made up, there was a ground-swell of requests for another run of them.

Pete has been a consistent shooter for as long as I have known him. 2 "ones" at 200 ? Good grief !
Couldn't happen to a better guy either.

Joe

Back