Optimum Barrel Length

1. When I said: "The shorter barrel is - the more accurate will be rifle", I've wanted to admit, that:
The longer barrel is, the more time bullet will be inside of it.
While the bullet is inside of barrel (≈2.8ms), the whole shooting complex can be affected by some of the oscillating factors below:
- hammer
– hammer spring
- valve
- sear
- shooter
Therefore, the shorter barrel is – the less is the chance of deviation of bullet from the trajectory due to these factors.

2. Configuration of rifle on a certain power depends on next:
- pressure reducer
- volume of funded camera
- size of the holes which through the air goes on
- hammer's weight and speed

3. On my own rifle 500mm barrel is set up.
With the pressure of 95bar on my reducer and the volume of funded camera ~ 40ml, the rifle is configured on 22J. I can easily set it up to 27J, but for this I should simply increase pressure to the 110-115bar and will get 27J with the same barrel's length.

4. To get high accuracy in .22LR barrel tuners are widely used. In airgun to get the highest accuracy is necessary to find right pressure reducer combined with bullet's speed experimentally.

A quick study of records set in several classes of air rifles in the USA does not favor short or long barrels.

This also applies to twist rates. Outdoors, greater power seems to show a clear advantage. That advantage seems to diminish when shooting comes indoors. Over the course of more time, trends may appear on those questions about barrel, always being aware that the pellets continue to be the weak link.

bbl length

I would agree that the items you listed as affecting the pellet while in the long barrel are valid items to consider. I also would offer that all vibrations would commence the instant the hammer fell and would proceed down the bbl long before the pellet was set in motion.

Frank tirrell

Back