Opticle centering

I'm in the camp that counts clicks from one end to the other, divides by 2 to get the mechanical center.
Then uses a v-block to tweak it from there to the optical center.

I got a wild hair many years ago and wanted to shoot with my scopes as optically centered as reasonably possible.
Did some testing, sort of figured out the bullet drop at 50yds was 7-8" from an optically centered position and had some bases custom milled.
Don't recall exactly, but think the rear base ended up being 17-20 thou taller than the front.
I still ended up having to click a few here and there, but convinced myself I was better off even though it never really showed up in my scores.

I guess that would

I'm in the camp that counts clicks from one end to the other, divides by 2 to get the mechanical center.
Then uses a v-block to tweak it from there to the optical center.

I got a wild hair many years ago and wanted to shoot with my scopes as optically centered as reasonably possible.
Did some testing, sort of figured out the bullet drop at 50yds was 7-8" from an optically centered position and had some bases custom milled.
Don't recall exactly, but think the rear base ended up being 17-20 thou taller than the front.
I still ended up having to click a few here and there, but convinced myself I was better off even though it never really showed up in my scores.

work to get you pretty close. However the suggestion of rotating the scope at parallax distance(if it doesn't allow adjustment) and watching the intersection of the X hairs to see if the image shifts is the best. Tedious but best.

Fred, you are correct the Leupold website has changed. Been a long time since I looked. This subject came up a while back and I referenced it on a similar question and at the time it was still on Leupold's website.

Depends

And not the Underwear, what discipline you might be shooting. For a combo that includes long range, I would prefer that I had enough range in adjustments. Then I would be sure I was centered horizontally and had additional range for vertical.

In theory(here we go)

I don't understand why you would want to do this. If somebody knows...please tell me.

the best clarity, resolution should come at the center of a lens. As you go out toward the edges, where the lens curve is the steepest, you tend to get more distortion and color fringing(chromatic aberration). Just a thought.

I talked to a fellow today that told me you could buy stuff to mount the scope such that it would be "centered" or somewhat close. I knew already that you could center the mounted scope with machine work but didn't know that folks actually did that sort of thing.

Me neither

I talked to a fellow today that told me you could buy stuff to mount the scope such that it would be "centered" or somewhat close. I knew already that you could center the mounted scope with machine work but didn't know that folks actually did that sort of thing.

I've done it with the finder on my astro scope. However for the last 7 years I've been using one of Bob Brackney's frozen scopes in his rings on my rifle. Love it but wish I had a bit more X. Thinking about an add on magnifier.

I build rifles designed for beyond 500yds, out to 1.5mi and using the central axis of the scope is very important to me.

I build rifles designed for beyond 500yds, out to 1.5mi and using the central axis of the scope is very important to me.

Quite useful considering everybody here is shooting at 50, and the OP initially questioned about a NEW scope.
Wilbur.....how many clicks from OEM condition does it take for a match? I'd venture not many.

Back