optical booster

tim in tx

Do any of you remember those optical boosters that screw on to the back of the scope?Is this guy still around? Any help is apreciated
Tim in Tx

Last edited:
I use one.

I put one on a 24 power Leupold and boosted it to about 33 power. It works well for me. I bought a 40XBR in 6x47 Remington and the scope came on it. I didn't want to break up a set.

They tell you to run a test before ordering to see which one you need. Do it, it works.

That's really interesting. They claim that the booster eliminates parallax, but don't see how this can be. Has anyone used one of these BulzEye power boosters?

Can't recall them saying it eliminates parallax, but with the added power, it's easier to fine adjust parallax out. I'm using three on scopes for F Class & 1000 yard benchrest.

Have any of you ever tried one on a nightforce ATAC?I hope they make one for it ,I emailed them about it but have not recieved an answer .no big deal though
The main problem is I need 120moa total travel in the scope but with at least 32 power and more would be good .I need to be able to pick a spot in a 10" circle to aim at 1760yds . It seems that if you want the internal adjustment of 120 MOA the best you can hope for is 25 power. At 25 power it apears to me at least that the crosshair will completely cover a 10 -20" circle .With that being said do you guys think if I put this on and got it to 32 power with a npr2 reticle would the crosshair would be magnified to the point of still covering the 10" circle?

Tim in Tx

Changing the power with the Bulzeye Pro doesn't change how much the crosshairs on my NF BR & Leupold VXIIIs subtend on the target. They magnify up just like they do when you crank the power ring.

Changing the power with the Bulzeye Pro doesn't change how much the crosshairs on my NF BR & Leupold VXIIIs subtend on the target. They magnify up just like they do when you crank the power ring.

very good ,thanks john .I will order one and give it a try. Tim in Tx

Remember

A booster will reduce eye relief. Free recoil movement does not change. Hello?
Be careful of getting acquainted with the ocular end of scope.
Don't ask how I know.
Centerfire

Contact Greg Walley at Kelblys. I bought some from a dealer he knows who sells some really high quality ones in 2x, 3x, and 4x. They work great but the more you go up in magnification the lesser the eye relief.

How they work, for example, a 3x will add 12 power to a 40x scope making it 52x (0.3x 40 = 12) (40 + 12 = 52).

A booster will reduce eye relief. Free recoil movement does not change. Hello?
Be careful of getting acquainted with the ocular end of scope.
Don't ask how I know.
Centerfire

Amen to this. Used one for first time today an a300 WSM shooting 215 gr Bergers. The loss of eye relief was quite noticeable. It kissed me 5 times. I've not had that before. Fortunately, it was just a "kiss" and left no mark. But it certainly is a distraction.....especially after it's happened a couple tines.

Contact Greg Walley at Kelblys. I bought some from a dealer he knows who sells some really high quality ones in 2x, 3x, and 4x. They work great but the more you go up in magnification the lesser the eye relief.

How they work, for example, a 3x will add 12 power to a 40x scope making it 52x (0.3x 40 = 12) (40 + 12 = 52).

Thanks Jerry,I called Wally today and he said Gene Davis use to sell them so I called gene,I am not sure who answered the phone but she said he was not selling them anymore.I apreciate the thought.I will try apollos and see what happens if it does not work out for some reason I will try to get back with bullseye pro.Thanks to everybody,no where else but Benchrest Central. .

Tim in Tx

Some time ago, curious, but not a hundred and some odd dollar curious, about how the BulzEye Pro folks had come up with the proper lens design for their products, while working on another project, I positioned a positive diopter lens, that was part of a closeup lens set that a friend had lent me, so that it was just behind the ocular of an unmounted scope, and looked through the combination, at the house across the street. What I saw, answered my question. The whole circle of the field of view was magnified, including the reticule, which was at that point out of focus. (It had not been before.) At that point, I measured the OD of the threads of the eyepiece lens cap of one of my 36X B&L scopes, which turned out to be 36mm. Then I looked to see what sizes closeup lenses were commonly found in, discovered that the list included 37mm, and found a set of new old stock closeup lenses that had probably been originally made for 35mm cameras, on Ebay, for about $20. Figuring that this was one of those experiments that I could afford to take a risk on. I ordered the set. The threads worked on my scope, at least after a fashion, and later I found that they worked on at least one of a friend's March scopes, a variable I think, perhaps the 10-60. In any case, as has been mentioned. Starting with the +1 lens I found that I had to screw the eyepiece in quite a bit to refocus on the cross hairs, and lost some eye relief as well. Because my normal eyepiece adjustment is forward of center, no doubt due to my nearsigntedness, I was limited to the +2 diopter which resulted in a loss of eye relief of about a half inch, and perhaps a 20% increase in magnification (obviously a guess). Since then I have equipped my other B&L with an identical lens, and friends have made adapters from flip open lens caps to mount them on Leupold 36s, that they continue to use that way. The original experiment that led to this was a success. I found a very hard to find, larger diameter close up lens (+ 1/4 diopter) that (when mounted with painters tape, in front of the objective) allows me to focus my scopes, parallax free, at about 12 1/2 feet, so that I can do some of the mounting chores in my garage that used to require a trip to the range, because of the close proximity of our neighbors, and not wanting to scare anyone by being seen sighting a rifle across or down the street.

I HAVE 5 T-36s' and it works well. a lot better than changing scopes.

Not a lot better but definitely a lot cheaper. I found the reduced eye relief to be a big problem on a 12-42 NF which already was short. I have been told they reduced Mirage but the ones I tried did not do that, they just are not sharp enough to see it as well.
Dick

Keep in mind these are add-ons and any time you go through more glass you loose some resolution. The two I have are Bulz-eye Pro 3x and I use them mostly on a couple of LCS 40X's most of the time. In the 2014 season I put one on 45x's and it did help a little but close eye relief and loosing light did happen and I can afford neither.

Strange they say on the back of the package Gene Davis Oprical Booster.

I have a phone number??? 740-468-2232 but I just called her and she says they no longer sell them??? I think this has already been written above??

same here Jerry ,it is a eyebrow kisser already with a loose hold.

Keep in mind these are add-ons and any time you go through more glass you loose some resolution. The two I have are Bulz-eye Pro 3x and I use them mostly on a couple of LCS 40X's most of the time. In the 2014 season I put one on 45x's and it did help a little but close eye relief and loosing light did happen and I can afford neither.

Strange they say on the back of the package Gene Davis Oprical Booster.

I have a phone number??? 740-468-2232 but I just called her and she says they no longer sell them??? I think this has already been written above??

Yep that is the number I called that was given to me by Greg.
Tim inTx

Back