One Pieced rests

Pete Wass

One Piece rests

Has there been a comparison test of the current one pieced rests on the market by anyone who has either published it or may be willing to share it in a PM or Email?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Last edited:
Pete:
Pappas Rest is the best by for the buck. It is also the descendant of the original.

Fred,

Out of curiosity, could you tell me who made the "original" you referenced ?

Richard

Has there been a comparison test of the current one pieced rests on the market by anyone who has either published it or may be willing to share it in a PM or Email?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Hoke Kerns wrote an article on one piece rests in "Precision Shooting Magazine" in May of 2010. Also Grant Pickard made one of the first one piece rests when they were made legal for BR-50.

Hoke Kerns wrote an article on one piece rests in "Precision Shooting Magazine" in May of 2010. Also Grant Pickard made one of the first one piece rests when they were made legal for BR-50.

Well, you can see how good my memory is and how little of PS magazine I read :)

To add to what James said, Grant wasn't interested in mass producing them, so he gave Gary Pearson, the go ahead to make as many as he wanted. Gary made quite a few, until his early death in 1998 of a Heart Attack while going through a stress test on the Tread Mill. Several copied them for their own use, until James decided there was a need in the Rimfire community and went into production of one of the finest one piece you could buy for the money. Several other made excellent rests as well, but for the dollar, the Pappas was still the best buy. That's why you will see more Pappas (Grant Pickard style) one piece rest on the line. James has done a fantastic job with the many innovative improvements to rests you see today. James is easy to work with, and if you want something special, he will accommodate you.

I noticed - - -

a One Piece rest made of Hard Wood for sale in the classifieds. That's a different approach, eh?

I have talked a few people who use one piece rests and some of them seem to like the particular rest they own and for their own reasons. It would be interesting to be able to try several to see how they differ.

What we need is a Benchrest Trade Show where venders would come and present their wears. I noticed when I was at The Barn that several people were using cloth bags instead of Delrin. Sort of why my thinking goes to being able to try a few rests to see how they perform.

It isn't a brand thing for the comsumer in me. I just want to buy what is best for me. I won't truly know that without trying some out.

Last edited:
Pete:
It as a different approach back in 96 as well. When I showed up with my front rest and rear riser setting on a Plywood base, I was told it was illegal. Took a saw out and made it a two piece, and that was OK. It appears that rest is just framed in wood. Looks nice and pertee, but will it be as stable as solid Aluminum?

Pete,

I looked at the wood rest in the classifieds and it look like it is designed on sound principles and it looks good. I would shoot off of a brick if it would help me so looks of my rest are secondary to its ability to hold a rifle steady. My guess is that winning scores can be shot off of most of the one piece rests. It would boil down to which one you like. I am very happy with my Pappas rest and I can get advice and parts from James. He is a straight shooter and an avid experimenter.

Concho Bill

Where does the Miller "onepiecerest" playout in the history ?

TIA

ken@randolphmachine.com, Ken Makes a butter smooth rest, belt driven. He is a great gentilman to talk to on and off the range. He is a top competiter in rimfire and knows what works.

Pete, the article James referenced covered three one-piece rests currently on the market. Forthcoming in Precision Shooting is an article describing modifications/improvements James has made to his rest. Dick Williams quit producing his Uni-Rest because of health problems. I have been told, however, a friend of Dick's makes them from time to time.

Hey Hoke,

Good to hear from you. Sure was a pleasure to see you at "the Barn". Made my trip!

I am away from home and don't have my PS magazines and or they are not being forwarded I don't believe. I will try to find someone where I'm at who might have them.

Hope you are having a geat WINTER !

Pete

Back