One piece rests...

Dave S

NRA Benefactor Member
Thinking about buying me a one piece rest for ARA.. Can those of you that use the one -piece rest, tell if it has helped your shooting, or should I just stick with my Hart Rest with Hoehn top and mechanical rear rest..

Appreciate all opinions...

Thanks

Dave

This past winter I purchased a Von Ahrens one piece rest and in my opinion it definitely improves my match shooting capability. Its not that you can shoot any more accurately with the one piece rest but that it makes shooting accurately more easy with less motion and movement out of position on your part.

Part of why this is as I see it is the way the controls of a one piece rest work for ease of shooting and partly because the one piece rest is a lot more stable and repeatable than a two piece rest setup. However my experience with two piece rests is a Fudd with a bunny ear rear bag. For me using a one piece rest is a much more efficient way of rested shooting and I highly recommend the one piece rest based on my own experience...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Last edited by a moderator:
I will know in about two days. The UPS man is bring me my new PAPPAS rest today. I will let you know what I think. I have never shot off a one piece rest before. I have high hope.

Scott

Dave,

Hope I don't get in trouble with Wilbur for posting this :eek:

Just to let you know I have been working with Allen Hall. He's going to take over making my rests. He's got more CNC's then I do, and doesn't have to live in the shop like I was doing (16-18 hour days gets ruff over time.)

What Allen and I did was we combined my old rest design and my new prototype and then add a couple of changes that Allen wanted to do. I'll post a picture of it later today so you can see what we cam up with. I've been shooting one of the these new prototypes and its working very well.

Roger

Last edited:
My single best equipment acquisition as far as an instant improvement in my scores is my Pappas rest. Regards

Roger:

I shot with Allen at Gene's Ranges this past week-end and in August and I believe that he was showing us the new rest that you are talikng about.. It looks real nice.. At that time I was not planning on buying one, so I did not ask the price.. If you could e-mail with the price of your new rest, I would appreciate it.. E-mail to dsnaphoto@aol.com

Thanks

Dave

Dave, The Pappas rest was one of the best things that I used when I was shooting. Even the Tiger has one:D Jerry

Dave,

Heres the pic I said I would post for you.

_DSC9144.JPG

I've used one since 1997 and it has definitely helped me. I think it would even help if I went back to a two piece because I understand it better. Mine is not a Pappas per se. It was built by Gary Pearson who was a good friend of James. I later sent it to James, after I realized they looked alike, and had him do modifications. So, mine is a hybrid. However, I do think James should offer to retrofit mine with the nice angular cuts he does now. But he hasn't offered.

I'll tell you what James has done for me. I found a nice piece of Tiger Stripe for one of my 40Xs and had Billy bed it. Of course being a copy of an original 40X stock it didn't like my front delrin. One call to James and I had a great sand bag top, within two days including shipping. Then I acquired another stick in a Kelby stock and the rear delrin was too wide. Again, one email and I had my new perfect chunk of delrin on my rest in two days. Such service deserves to be mentioned. Regards

RvA, and to all others,

I have been considering buying a one-piece for years and had been leaning toward either buying a von Aherns, which seemed very affordable, but I was waiting to see Roger's latest design, or a Grandfield, which are very difficult to find used, and quite expensive when buying new, that is if they are even still available at all. Once I saw that Roger had teamed up with Allan Hall to build his rests I contacted Allan almost immediately and, after seeing some pictures, plus getting a few questions answered, will be placing my order on Monday.

A little yet to be told information, and I hope I don't get in trouble for speaking out of turn on this, but this is what swayed me over to buying one now. My primary concern was the positioning of the elevation knob as pictured since it appears to be in a less than likely place being located down between the two rails as well as being somewhat behind the windage adjustment knob rather than being out in the open and centered like all the others. Quite the contrary!

What Allan told me was, and I quote:
"You work the rest by holding the windage knob with your hand and using your thumb for the elevation. It works really fast without even moving your hand. The threads are left hand and have different pitch to make up for the different sizes of the knobs."
WOW, because of the left hand threading it would mean that making any adjustments would work the same as they do on our two-piece rigs, meaning clockwise for moving the POA to the right or up, and counterclockwise for moving it to the left or down.

Oh, and Allan is offering them in two finishes, the Standard Aluminum finish as shown in Roger's photo, or in a fully Polished version for slightly more money.

Allan's contact info is listed on Benchrest Central in the advertising section, so give him a call if you have any questions, or to place an order.

Dave Shattuck

Dave,

Take a look at the Yellow Jacket Rimfire Rest at shotmaster10x.com

I have one of the first ones and it is the best one I have shot off of.

Adjustment knobs can be changed from left to right hand shooters and

the rest top is the best. They also let you buy just the top if that is all

you want. The top is also available with delrin instead of the bearings.

Good Luck,

Landon

I love the Pappas rest. Great, fast and friendly service too....Jerry Sloan

The Pappas rest does what it's supposed to. It works. It's well thought out and well made. And in relation to some other one piece rests I've seen, which I'm sure are good, it's less expensive.

Jerry, I think you have those nice angular cuts on yours don't you?

RvA, and to all others,

I have been considering buying a one-piece for years and had been leaning toward either buying a von Aherns, which seemed very affordable, but I was waiting to see Roger's latest design, or a Grandfield, which are very difficult to find used, and quite expensive when buying new, that is if they are even still available at all. Once I saw that Roger had teamed up with Allan Hall to build his rests I contacted Allan almost immediately and, after seeing some pictures, plus getting a few questions answered, will be placing my order on Monday.

<snip>

Dave Shattuck

Dave, as you know I purchased a Von Ahrens one piece rest last February from another shooter. Based on my own experience I think you've made a great choice...

Prior to purchasing the Von Ahrens I have, I spent a lot of time researching one piece rests. Deciding on the Von Ahrens rest was the result of extensive research including a start of a one piece rest of my own design and when I first saw the Grandfield and Von Ahrens rests, my own rest design came to an end as the Von Ahrens rest was in essence the rest I was designing.

And then while I was in the process of getting the money together to make the purchase, I happened to get into a conversation with another shooter who had recently purchased a Von Ahrens about 6 months prior however as he had other rests, he decided that the Von Ahrens was not as versatile as his other rests and found he was shooting with the other rests more and not with the Von Ahrens. He said to me that he was considering selling the Von Ahrens and it didn't take me long to agree to purchase it from him.

I am very happy with the Von Ahrens rest, It is all that I could expect, and for me with a small machine shop available, I have greatly expanded the capability of my Von Ahrens rest by making a couple of different gun guide front tops for it:
DSCN0189c.jpg

In this photo, on the rest itself (upper left corner) is a top for the Protektor leather bags for the sporter rifles I shoot.

In the middle is the original Von Ahrens gun guide which works great with my 52D and S400MPR with the aluminum adapter plates.

And in the foreground is a micro-adjust top of my own design with teflon guide buttons made specifically for the 3" flat forend of my guns with BR stocks.

To say the least, I find the Von Ahrens rest to be very precise and very adaptable to whatever your needs are and a real pleasure to use...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Dave: I use a Miller one piece. They are light and the machining is first class. He doesn't make them anymore but I think there is a guy in South West Indiana that makes them now.I believe he ran an add in the classifieds. They are a little pricey but are a great rest.

MW:D

Hey Beau,

It is made by a company called shotmaster10x. Mine is great.

Really not like a Pappas. Look at the top. You can check it

out at shotmaster10x.com.

Good luck,

Landon

Back