One piece or two piece scope base

rooster

Just wondering if a one piece base is a better choice for my Remington 40x 6mm ppc. Will a one piece make action more ridged? Does this caliber have enough recoil to matter? Action is not sleeved. Planned on getting dovetail aluminum base from Harrells. Also mounting a sightron 36x will I be ok with med scope rings? Rifle has a big target barrel so berry little taper if any. Thanks guys!!

As I recall, Harold Vaughn, in "Rifle Accuracy Facts" ran some experiments and found that most of the flex is in the threaded area of the action. So no, a one-piece base will not help that. It will keep things lined up better if you are using a well-machined picatinny rail. Most one-piece bases for traditional rings with a turn-in front and a windage adjustable rear have only one rear screw. This type of setup is a freakin' nightmare as far as alignment goes and may even damage the scope due to uncertain alignment at both ends. Get a quality rail - EGW or better - and watch out for the B-square one-piece. I had one that would twist when the screws were tightened down because it wasn't machined to fit the top of the receiver well.

Looking at the Harrell's site, their Remington 700 Short Action 3/8 Dove Tail Rail at $50.00 looks like a real deal. I think I'll spring for one myself.

As I recall, Harold Vaughn, in "Rifle Accuracy Facts" ran some experiments and found that most of the flex is in the threaded area of the action. So no, a one-piece base will not help that. It will keep things lined up better if you are using a well-machined picatinny rail. Most one-piece bases for traditional rings with a turn-in front and a windage adjustable rear have only one rear screw. This type of setup is a freakin' nightmare as far as alignment goes and may even damage the scope due to uncertain alignment at both ends. Get a quality rail - EGW or better - and watch out for the B-square one-piece. I had one that would twist when the screws were tightened down because it wasn't machined to fit the top of the receiver well.

Thanks vtmamot! Think I will get that one also. Was also going to purchase aluminum scope rings also, thinking 4 screw style or you think that is over kill?`

Thanks vtmamot! Think I will get that one also. Was also going to purchase aluminum scope rings also, thinking 4 screw style or you think that is over kill?`

Never used any thing but Aluminum two screw scope rings on any of my benchrest rifles in my 40 plus years of benchrest shooting and have never had a scope move in the rings.:eek:

Chet

Never used any thing but Aluminum two screw scope rings on any of my benchrest rifles in my 40 plus years of benchrest shooting and have never had a scope move in the rings.:eek:

Chet

Sorry Chet may have said that wrong, I mean should I get double screw ring or will single screw be just fine ? Thanks

Nothing over built ever broke

In my opinion, the biggest and heaviest rings and bases anyone can use is just right. Often with 10 and 10.5 rifles, one has to compromise in this area. I have seen some light weight aluminum scope rings break on big boomers. May not be a problem on 6 PPC's but with 30's its a different story.

Pete

Back